Towing a Travel Trailer Cross Country - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Towing a Travel Trailer Cross Country

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #16
PrinceBondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Maybe I misunderstand your situation, but it seems to me like a very odd plan.
Except for the part about traveling with the child and the cat, it seems reasonable to me.

I'd ditch the cat at the animal shelter and see if there were ANY way I could avoid traveling with the child, whether it were by car, plane, train or otherwise....maybe hire someone to babysit and fly her commercial while everyone else took the car.

PrinceBondar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 05:38 AM   #17
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBondar View Post
Except for the part about traveling with the child and the cat, it seems reasonable to me.

I'd ditch the cat at the animal shelter and see if there were ANY way I could avoid traveling with the child, whether it were by car, plane, train or otherwise....maybe hire someone to babysit and fly her commercial while everyone else took the car.
Really. Ditch the cat? nice. The cat is likely the only passenger who won't be a problem.

Actually, here we appear to have two people who know nothing about towing, trailers, camping, or babies. They could not because they would know that 21 hours (the amount of time they will not be moving according to baby) in an non air conditioned tin can (cheapo travel trailer) is 100 times worse than rolling down the road in the nearly new Jeep, 55 mph, a/c on, with gentle music or books on tape playing.

And, they appear to know nothing about children since the gentle motion and background noise of a responsibly driven vehicle comforts children who mostly sleep as the trip continues. Maybe the baby will cry when she wakes up! Oh no

Unless the baby is hooked to tubes, requires dialysis, or has to have her first degree burn bandages changed every couple of hours, we are dealing with a new mother who is just projecting her own fears and dislikes on the baby.

She has already spent far above what it will take to complete the mission by other more reasonable means by wasting money on equipment that she will likely never be used again and which she will not know how to properly use this time. It took me years of towing to get good at towing a bad load. And, a near max weight cheapo travel trailer is as bad a load as one can expect to see. It is a crapbox on crapwheels, with crapaxles and crapbrakes, and is like having a big sail on the back of their rig. And, we all know that if we start out within 250 pounds of the towing limit we are going to end up way over. And, why do I think that there may be dogs and cats locked up in that trailer while it is moving? Just a hunch.

There, that's what I should have said in the first place.
Unread 05-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #18
PrinceBondar

Quote:
Really. Ditch the cat? nice. The cat is likely the only passenger who won't be a problem.
Well, I just said I would ditch the cat at the animal shelter - but I'd probably do something else that I shouldn't post here. But in no event would I travel with a cat.

Quote:
Maybe the baby will cry when she wakes up! Oh no
Among other things.

Quote:
She has already spent far above what it will take to complete the mission by other more reasonable means by wasting money on equipment that she will likely never be used again and which she will not know how to properly use this time.
You're making a big assumption. Maybe she got the trailer because she plans to use it often to make trips once she gets to where she is going. I didn't see anything in the OP that says she plans to just use the trailer once.

Quote:
And, why do I think that there may be dogs and cats locked up in that trailer while it is moving?
Because if you put the baby back there, and anyone found out about it, you'd be in big trouble.
Unread 05-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #19
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
But in no event would I travel with a cat.

That would be your loss.
Unread 05-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #20
PrinceBondar

Swung vigorously by its tail in a circular fashion 5 or 6 times from the edge of the water line, I wonder how far out into the water a cat would land and whether it would figure out which way to go to get to land.
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:24 PM   #21
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Swung vigorously by its tail in a circular fashion 5 or 6 times from the edge of the water line, I wonder how far out into the water a cat would land and whether it would figure out which way to go to get to land.
We can try it with you first. Whaddaya think?
Unread 05-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #22
PrinceBondar

Quote:
We can try it with you first. Whaddaya think?
I'm a fat ***, so I'm guessing not real far.
Unread 05-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #23
Indy

Quote:
I'm a fat ***, so I'm guessing not real far.
I assumed you had no tail.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 12:11 AM   #24
PrinceBondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
I assumed you had no tail.
That too.

On another note - was going to suggest to you that you take your rig for a 4-6 hour test drive and get some experience with it, ensure it all works OK, the brakes on the trailer a reasonable, etc. etc. etc. Do that before you start your trip, and use the opportunity to ensure the Jeep is all ready, you have spare fluids, funnels, jumper cables and whatever else.
Unread 05-21-2013, 04:28 AM   #25
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

What I would suggest is that they take the travel trailer out to the Easy Squeezy RV Park, by the dump, you know, the one with the bar across the road on a day where the temperature is about 90 and the humidity about 70% and spend six hours in the TT with the crying baby, no a/c and no TV or phone. Just for the fun of it. Because, when the baby starts crying just outside of Macon Ga, that is where they are going to be staying. Oh, unless they want to just pull over on I-20 where the life expectancy of a person on the berm of the highway is about 30 minutes.

Or, they could press on to the nice place where they have a reservation, with a pool and electricity and a concession. But, then, that is the whole point of this, isn't it? This baby can't press on because she has something wrong with her and is therefore too disordered to just sleep in the car as it rolls down the road like everyone else's kids do.

(Who ever heard of a healthy nine month old that couldn't ride in a car all day?)
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #26
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Wow! I can't believe all the negativity you guys are giving to the OP.

You could give him some good suggestions (like a test run, concern over his plan, etc...) without the bad attitude about his cat or his daughter.
Unread 05-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #27
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPond View Post

You could give him some good suggestions (like a test run, concern over his plan, etc...) without the bad attitude about his cat or his daughter.
For sure. DB.

I would get the after market cooler. Even if you have to have the dealer install it. The auto in that year heats up rather easy.

Unread 05-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #28
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPond View Post

Oh, you're right. But, I just get weary of people who construct this impossible scenario around a phobia (like "my daughter can only tolerate a few hours of travel) and then get everyone wound into their dysfunction. Look, the little girl is 9 months old. How many trips has she had where she didn't tolerate more than a few hours of travel? Every nine month old cycles through crying and feeding and sleep every couple of hours. Why would it matter if it is happening in a nice Jeep going down the road or in some tin can in a noisy RV Park? And, if it is a serious matter (which I am sure it is not) then she should be flying anyway.

Help me understand. Did she buy this travel trailer so she could save on motel fees? Let's see. A weight distribution hitch, a brake controller, a transmission cooler. Wear and tear on a nearly new Jeep. RV Park fees. 10 days of travel expense. 7 mpg cross country. Husband misses 10 days of work. Did I miss anything?

How about tell her to ask the pediatrician if the baby will be harmed if they just keep on driving when she cries?
Unread 05-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #29
PrinceBondar

Quote:
Or, they could press on to the nice place where they have a reservation, with a pool and electricity and a concession.
Sounds like a nightmare to me.

A pool....otherwise known as a place where people piss and take a dump. No WAY and I getting into a hotel pool.

http://odenton.patch.com/articles/po...bably-e8e94b5d

As for electricity....first, the travel trailer probably has some. Second, it's hardly needed to have a good trip.

Quote:
TT with the crying baby, no a/c and no TV or phone.
I feel ya on the crying baby - that's why I suggested hiring someone else to transport it on a commercial airline. But the A/C - again, plenty of travel trailers have it, if you even NEED it. As for a TV....really? I stopped watching TV many years ago. Last thing I do when traveling is watch a ****ing TV. As for phone....what for? I'm going to sit in a hotel room yacking on the phone? No, I don't think so. If I wanted to yack on the phone (which I don't, I hate phones), I can use my mobile while driving (:

Quote:
(Who ever heard of a healthy nine month old that couldn't ride in a car all day?)
I don't know any sane person who would choose to ride in a car with a 9 month old while traveling across the country by car. That could be the definition of insanity.
Unread 05-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #30
PrinceBondar

Quote:
Help me understand. Did she buy this travel trailer so she could save on motel fees? Let's see. A weight distribution hitch, a brake controller, a transmission cooler. Wear and tear on a nearly new Jeep. RV Park fees. 10 days of travel expense. 7 mpg cross country. Husband misses 10 days of work. Did I miss anything?
It is hardly unique. There are hundreds of thousands of travel trailers rolling around. Maybe the people who buy and sell them are own to something. I know I want one!

Quote:

I gave plenty of good suggestions. Upgrade suspension, install trans cooler, test drive the rig before setting out on the trip ensure adequate spare supplies, ditch the cat and get someone else to transport the kid. All good ideas that can lead to a problem-free, enjoyable trip.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.