Towing Travel Trailer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Towing Travel Trailer

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdPoison Spyder JK LED Taillight Wiring HarnessZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 09-20-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
Keithalan21

Towing Travel Trailer

Hi everyone, My name is Keith and i just purchased a 2008 Frontier Hyperlite 25RK bumper pull travel trailer. I own a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the 4.7 Liter V8. The Travel trailer im going to be pulling has a dry weight of 5000 pounds and i would only pull it dry although it's a self contained rv. What do you guys think about me towing this RV, is it safe? I appreciate all you guys input in advance.
Keith

Keithalan21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2011, 01:09 AM   #2
Lawdodge
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Well per the WJ owners manual, the recommended towing capacity of your GC is 6500 lbs so the 5k dry weight is under, however you will have additional weight from food, clothing, bedding, etc. so don't just think that because you don't have water and propane that you are at the dry weight. Load your trailer as you would for a trip and head to a scale, get an actual weight then you'll know what you're dealing with. There are other things to consider to. You'll want to add a power brake controller to your rig. Also may want to look into a load distributing hitch with sway control due to the size of your trailer.
Mine - 2004 Unlimited Red 5.7L HEMI, NV241 4:1, RE 5.5" Long Arm, 35's on Champion Beadlocks, MetalCloak fenders and front bumper, Hanson rear bumper, 4.88's, ARB's, Alloy 33 spline D44 shafts, HP44 hybrid front w/ WJ outers, D44 rear ... and to much more .
RED JEEP CLUB #436
Lawdodge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2011, 05:26 AM   #3
Keithalan21

Thanks alot for the Reply Lawdodge, I'm getting a brake controller installed this week I was curious to see what other jeep owners had to say. I want to be as safe as possible while moving this camper, eventually soon I will buy a truck
Unread 09-21-2011, 05:55 AM   #4
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithalan21 View Post
Hi everyone, My name is Keith and i just purchased a 2008 Frontier Hyperlite 25RK bumper pull travel trailer. I own a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the 4.7 Liter V8. The Travel trailer im going to be pulling has a dry weight of 5000 pounds and i would only pull it dry although it's a self contained rv. What do you guys think about me towing this RV, is it safe? I appreciate all you guys input in advance.
Keith
I use a 2000 WJ with factory towing package and up country pk. as a tow pig for a trailer that probably weighs in around 5,500 lbs.. maybe a little more. The WJ is a decent tow pig, not great tow pig. Pulling isn't the issue, short wheel base, lack of braking power, and general lack of curb weight all keep the WJ from being a really good tow rig. HOWEVER, over the past 10 years of towing, I have modified my equipment, changed the way I load the trailer, and generally tweak my setup whenever I think I can improve the towing. I added a weight distribution hitch with the anti sway control (worth every penny... highly recommend), I added a brake a-way system, changed the trailer e-brakes, rewired the trailer (lights/brakes), changed to drilled & slotted front rotors on the tow pig. In the old days, 60 - 65 MPH was about as fast as a sane person would/could drive as any faster was just flirting with certain death. Now, I pull at 65 - 70 MPH without much thought about the trailer being back there. I could drive much faster with this setup, I feel confident that 80 MPH would feel as stable as 65 MPH, but I prefer to stay close to the 65 MPH simply due to the safety issues of going that fast with that kind of a load.

BTW, if you do not have a transmission cooler, you will want to add one A.S.A.P.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
Keithalan21

Thanks for the reply little jeep! Do you know what I'm looking at as far as price for a transmission cooler? Im only going to be pulling it about 3 times a year.
Unread 09-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for the reply little jeep! Do you know what I'm looking at as far as price for a transmission cooler? Im only going to be pulling it about 3 times a year.
Do a search, they come in all price ranges and sizes... some are simple pipe into the tranny lines, others sit behind the grill.
Unread 09-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Keith
I had an 01 grand with the I6 and a 17ft trailer with a dry weight of 2800lbs. The grand was horrid for towing. I got rid of it within the year. The trailer pushed the grand everywhere. Now I pull the same trailer with an 04 4Runner V6 and the difference is night and day. I had towed a trailer, about 2300lbs, that didn't stick above the jeep and it pulled it fine.

I would recommend getting a weight disturbing hitch and sway bar.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #8
Keithalan21

What size motor did you have in your jeep Ross? I've pulled 3000 pounds no problem with the 4.7..
Unread 09-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #9
Keithalan21

I just haven't pulled anything huge like a travel trailer and I'd rather be safe than sorry and ask you folks thy have experienced towing like this
Unread 09-21-2011, 04:38 PM   #10
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What size motor did you have in your jeep Ross? I've pulled 3000 pounds no problem with the 4.7..
He said he had the I6 (4.0L).... which is what I have, I just pull a different type of trailer.
Unread 09-21-2011, 04:43 PM   #11
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I just haven't pulled anything huge like a travel trailer and I'd rather be safe than sorry and ask you folks thy have experienced towing like this
Weight distribution hitch, Sway control, and electric trailer brakes are all worth their weight and then some in Gold.... Even with the I6, pulling power is not an issue... you won't set any land speed records from zero MPH, but it isn't too bad either..... once you are rolling, the I6 will pull fine, it is the other issues, like sway control, weight distribution, and stopping that need help.
Unread 09-21-2011, 06:41 PM   #12
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

with a trailer that heavy, you might want to put some air bags in the rear coil springs so that your back is not a saggy ***.
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2011, 07:04 AM   #13
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Like I stated above it was the I6. The power wasn't the issue. It was the surveying and lack of stability above 55 mph that was my problem.

I think the issue is the wind residence and how it affected the jeep. I towed a cargo trailer weighing about 2300lbs cross country and that jeep did fine. Once I put on a trailer that sticks above the jeep or beyond its sides the jeep really sucked. I have a 6X12 covered cargo trailer that sticks higher than the jeep and even with a lighter load the jeep sucked towing it.

Unread 09-22-2011, 07:07 AM   #14
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
Weight distribution hitch, Sway control, and electric trailer brakes are all worth their weight and then some in Gold.... Even with the I6, pulling power is not an issue... you won't set any land speed records from zero MPH, but it isn't too bad either..... once you are rolling, the I6 will pull fine, it is the other issues, like sway control, weight distribution, and stopping that need help.
I towed a 3500lb covered cargo trailer with my wrangler, ti stood higher than my wangler. I know way too much weight, and I do not recommend anybody doing it. The steering sucked, braking sucked but it didn’t even have the sway problems my grand had.

Unread 09-24-2011, 05:18 PM   #15
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Just towing my little 2k lb Coleman popup was a chore with my 5.2 ZJ. Threw me around when it was windy and rough, braking sucks.

After picking up my F250 last year, the Jeep doesn't have to pull at all any more. Can't even tell the popup is back there. I can feel the car hauler, but not much. The most towing my Jeep does now is parking the trailer in the tight alley behind the house

5k is a lot not just to pull, but worse to stop.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.