Towing with "Rain Gear" Cover - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Towing with "Rain Gear" Cover

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!

Unread 10-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Towing with "Rain Gear" Cover

Anyone trailer their Jeep with a Rain Gear cover (for soft top removed) on it?
Will it work?
First impression is that it won't?

RJ

rain-gear-jeep-top-2.jpg

RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
JPNCA
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Seems like the flapping in the wind would scratch the heck out of the paint
JPNCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My main concern is Hood tie down. If wind got under it the whole thing would probably tear loose. But as we all know from the car wash, air flow never gets in last 1/3 of hood, so I wonder if anyone even tried/did it?

RJ
Unread 10-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

I towed my CJ from NM to CA with one of these covers. I didn't have any issues. The tie downs held well and there was almost no flapping. You just need to be sure it is snug before you roll out and it gets tightened each time you stop.

2003 KJ : 2002 to Present - Family Hauler
1981 CJ5: 2005 to Present - Build Thread
titanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #5
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'd be concerned with rubbing / scratching. I've had one of those covers but never tried to tow with it.

I've also had 2 different boats that came with tow-covers, both which were lined and custom fitted to the boats. Used them a few times, and even though they were designed to be used while towing, they still left rub marks. Since these covers aren't designed for towing, I'd be concerned.

Also worth noting is that, even with the boat fullying enclosed in the tow cover, anytime we got rain on the highway it would find it's way up under the edge of the cover and make a mess out of the paint. The cover seemed to have a sort of vacuum effect, drawing dirt and grime inside the boat. You may have similar issues with a Jeep cover like this.
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPond View Post
..... anytime we got rain on the highway it would find it's way up under the edge of the cover and make a mess out of the paint. The cover seemed to have a sort of vacuum effect, drawing dirt and grime inside the boat. You may have similar issues with a Jeep cover like this.
Interesting! Especially since a topless TJ's (just a bikini top) will not let rain in anywhere at speeds over 55 mph! This may not be true on a trailer with very different wind currents??

Anyone who doubts different wind current I will tell you a story.
I had a Bikini top that worked perfectly for the last two summers and about half of this summer.
I bgt a trailer and the first trip on the trailer (three hr drive) it ripped all three of the center, rear bar attachment straps. Only the rear side bar straps on each side were intact!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.