Towing an R-Pod? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Towing an R-Pod?

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
CraigP2012Jeep

Towing an R-Pod?

Hi All! Thinking of purchasing a new R-Pod with yellow sticker weight of 2750 lbs. won't carry much etc weight in trailer so with in 3500 lb limit. Have seen mixed review on Jeep towing capabilities. I have a 2012 automatic 4DR - Altitude edition. Any thoughts or experience from anyone? Thanks Craig

CraigP2012Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
Indy

2012 what? Big difference in towing with a wrangler to a commander.

One of my personal rules of thumb for towing with a wrangler, it sucks.
Unread 05-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
CraigP2012Jeep

2012 Jeep 4DR Wrangler Altitude Edition.. 3.73 - new penstar engine 116" wheel base
jeep.jpg  
CraigP2012Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

My brother tows a popup around Colorado with a similar V6 crossover and he says it pretty much blows on passes (45 mph up hills). I would think that heavy of a trailer, plus considering people and everything else you'll carry in both the Jeep and trailer seems like a tough time. But as long as the trailer has brakes that will certainly help.

P.S. Personally I've towed a U-haul over the Rockies with my wife's KJ and that was heavy enough at 1500# (the KJ is rated for a laughable 5,000).

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
ColoradoTravler
2011 JK Wrangler 

We just returned from the maiden voyage with our 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara and an R Pod 178. We traveled over 1800 miles in and across Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, South Dakota, Wyoming and Colorado. Although we were a bit apprehensive after researching the R Pod and Jeep Forums, we actually were very pleased at the performance of the Jeep and the handling of the R Pod. Can't say much for the gas mileage (12.5 to 15) but we made it generally traveling at 60 to 65 MPH and sometimes faster when we didn't have a lot of headwind or side wind conditions. Long steep uphill climbs generally dropped us to 4th gear and 50 MPH but not all that often. Mountain passes in Colorado kept us at 45, but that is the speed limit anyway on most of the 2 lane mountain roads. I have towed equipment trailers with up to 55,000 pounds over mountain passes and I was thrilled at 30 MPH then, so no big deal.

So here is the verdict. The 2560 pound (dry weight) R Pod pulled and handled very well even with plenty of gear, 2 bikes on the back, generator and tools, etc. We were likely pushing the 3500 pound capacity with 2 people and loaded trailer and Jeep. With the 6 speed manual I spent a bit of time shifting, but it was relatively effective. Using a brake controller and equalizer/sway hitch the R Pod tracked straight and without concern for the ability to stop quickly. I may consider a Super Charger in the future if we plan to do more cross country travels, but It was acceptable as it is with a 3.73 gearing and stock everything.
rmnp-2-640.jpg

rmnp-7-640.jpg

ColoradoTravler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

^Wow! That is a lot to tow. Thanks for the report and I'm glad that you made it.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
unlblkrubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Unread 09-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I got this trailer about 1 year ago, 2400 lbs dry. This is my 3rd camper in about 5 years and we really like the extra room you have by having you beds fold out and out of the way.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.