towing questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > towing questions

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
bigtim6656
2005 TJ Wrangler 

towing questions

Ok we were going to tow my jeep from indiana to key largo fl with a dodge 1500 or gmc 1500, we opted out of that. Well got lucky my dad felt the need to dump the dodge for a real truck and bought a 2004 f250 diesel

So we have a tow rig now. So I know the truck can do it, but want to make sure we set it up right. We have a car trailer which hooks up to a reese hitch. Figure put the jeep on 80/20 with 80% of the weight up front 20% in back of the axles. Strap it down at the axles with the huge straps we use for construction and such,(not cheap something like 3 or 4 inchs wide), then use some to tie down at the bumpers to hold the body down to avoid the susp moving.

We also have a gooseneck trailer, something like 15 to 20 feet long, it is heavy, but not to heavy for the truck. It has heavy duty hooks for straping aswell.

SO which trailer and is my plan for strapping it down ok, also would chaines on the axles and straps ont he body be better?
Both trailers are tandom axle aswell, I see benifits to both, the only bad thing about the car hauler is there is no hooks, we normally just strap to the frame but we have yet to haul anything this big. What kid of hooks can I add to help with this

bigtim6656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

You got a case of overkill there. I would not have hesitated to tow that rig with the Dodge 1500. Now you have a 16000 lb capacity to tow a 5000lb load. Good for you. Its always best to be cautious. Just try to remember the Jeep is back there.

The car hauler will be fine. I'm not a fan of axle tie down because you can break things but is sounds like you will be more comfortable that way and that is just as important as choosing one over the other.

I assume those straps are ratchet straps and so you will want two forward and two backward. The longer the angle the better they will hold. Be careful of brake lines and cables on the axles. If you use chains on the axles, do not crank them down much with the chain binder. You can pull the axle right off the chassis with a chain binder. As for the body tie down, it is just so you don't get nervous seeing it bounce around. Once the axles are tied down pull the body down a little anywhere. It will be a breeze.

Finally, for the balance, with the car hauler you will want about 600-750lb on the Resse hitch. Get three or four friends and a yardstick and measure how high the hitch is with 600lb of guys on the back bumper of that tow rig. Then hook up the trailer and drive the Jeep forward until you match that height. If it sways too much move it up just a little bit.
Unread 03-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
bigtim6656
2005 TJ Wrangler 

thanks, glad to know I am good to go, I knew the f250 could do it, and felt the dodge could but we needed a tow and work truck with some power
bigtim6656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i towed my jeep on a HD 18ft trailer with duel #5200 axles from IL to the mountains of Colorado which included 9000ft altitude and 7% grades for miles at a time and my 1/2 ton rocked like no other, i was still passing people left and right with it.
Unread 02-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
Seeyal8r
1982 CJ5 

Towed my jeep from Colorado to Florida and back with a Chevy shortened 1500 on a 16 foot bumper pull with 3500 lb axles. No problem
Seeyal8r is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.