Towing Newbie (potentially) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Towing Newbie (potentially)

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 06-23-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
-Zona-

Towing Newbie (potentially)

I am closer than I've ever been to aquiring a class C motorhome and have some questions on potentially towing my Jeep, but here is the background on it:

'08 JK 2dr Rubi, almost 9k miles, stock tires, auto trans

My questions:

How does the JK handle towing? What will I need to tow a Jeep? What are the risks/how likely is it to **** my **** up? Do I tow with a towbar, dolly or trailer?

Thanks in advance.

-Zona- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
bjones71087
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Use either a tow-bar or a trailer. Either have all 4 wheels on the ground or none. Put the T-case in nuetral and the Trans in Park and you will be fine.
bjones71087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 06:28 PM   #3
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

You are really posting this in the wrong place. Class C motor homes come in all sizes and qualities. Many are E350 Cutaways or equivalent which have really poor tow ratings (like 1/2 of what you need). You have to go to the RV forums and post this question over and over in order to get the best Class C recommendation you can get. And, no matter what, absolutely, positively, whatever you do, get a diesel Class C and not a gasoline motor. You will be miserable with a gas Class C towing your JK, especially when they get a few miles on them.

Here's one:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php

Here's another:

http://www.rv.net/forum/
Unread 06-23-2009, 10:05 PM   #4
The Mean Fish
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Before you start figuring out towing ratings and things like that think about your actual need. Are you towing to do trail riding where you're very unlikely to break something that would stop you from flat towing the Jeep home broken like a steering knuckle or axle housing or are you towing this JK to hardcore trails where breaking is likely? I would hate to flat tow a rig somewhere then have to rent or buy a trailer just to get it home broken. I usually vote for a small trailer, that way even broken it'll get home.
The Mean Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
USMCredneck
1979 CJ5 

X2 on what mean fish said. Flat towing will get you there just fine, but if you break something big on the trail, it could cause issues on getting home.
Unread 06-24-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

I would just buy a trailer they don't run to much and theres always that chance you'll need it for something plus you can loan it out to friends for some beer money.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2009, 01:18 PM   #7
bjones71087
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I would just buy a trailer they don't run to much and theres always that chance you'll need it for something plus you can loan it out to friends for some beer money.
that is a great idea, the trailer will pay itself of fairly quickly.
Unread 06-24-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Do not take any given persons opinion, everyones idea of proper towing will vary. Like below, you would actually put BOTH transmission and transfer case in neutral, but different year vehicles have different limits, 50 miles at 50 mph, or 30 miles at 40 mph, etc. (I reposessed and impounded cars for three years during college for a BIG local tow company).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones71087 View Post
Use either a tow-bar or a trailer. Either have all 4 wheels on the ground or none. Put the T-case in nuetral and the Trans in Park and you will be fine.
And if you wanted to take a chance, it wouldnt be all 4 on the ground or none, lol, it would be dolly the rear wheels, tie your steering wheel off straight with the t-case in 2-hi or neutral, or none (trailer). Wranglers were one of the few vehicles that we had to ALWAYS dolly (and the other two wheels were on the wheel lift) so all four were off the ground. Cherokees are not as touchy according to the manuals.

Your best bet is to call a reputible tow company and ask them to check specs for your vehicle, they will have stacks of tow manuals from the 60's and 70's to present, year by year that will document most vehicles "by the book" tow measures. While you can get away with towing "improperly", we all learned in 9th grade physical science that every action has an equal and opposite reaction...you're better to stay on the side of caution, make a 10 minute phone call to a pro.

My .02
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2009, 01:43 PM   #9
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

I made the call for you:

2008 Jeep Wrangler is 0/0 (0 mph for 0 miles). The manual states that This Wrangler (along with all others, as I recall) must be on a wheel lift with dollys or trailered with proper tie downs and chains. ALL FOUR WHEELS MUST BE OFF THE GROUND OR DAMAGE TO TRANSMISSION AND/OR TRANSFER CASE WILL OCCUR (It actually says this in all caps, thats not me, lol). As I recall these manuals are distributed by and have been distributed by AAA for years to all towing businesses.

Again, feel free to tow however you like, but were it my 2 year old car, I would follow the proper precautions
Unread 06-24-2009, 01:45 PM   #10
bjones71087
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Do not take any given persons opinion, everyones idea of proper towing will vary. Like below, you would actually put BOTH transmission and transfer case in neutral, but different year vehicles have different limits, 50 miles at 50 mph, or 30 miles at 40 mph, etc. (I reposessed and impounded cars for three years during college for a BIG local tow company).
...someone needs to read their owners manual...

Not trying to be an *** but,
I am a by the book kinda person, i follow the service schedule, instructions, even the break-in recommendations. Car manufacturers make a car a certain way for a reason, you get the most life out of your vehicle doing what is said to do. (thats the reason i have 377k on my jeep now)
Unread 06-24-2009, 01:46 PM   #11
bjones71087
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
And if you wanted to take a chance, it wouldnt be all 4 on the ground or none, lol, it would be dolly the rear wheels, tie your steering wheel off straight with the t-case in 2-hi or neutral, or none (trailer). Wranglers were one of the few vehicles that we had to ALWAYS dolly (and the other two wheels were on the wheel lift) so all four were off the ground. Cherokees are not as touchy according to the manuals
...And that is the reason why a lot of towing companies are sued for fubaring t-cases.
Unread 06-24-2009, 01:49 PM   #12
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
...someone needs to read their owners manual...

Not trying to be an *** but,
I am a by the book kinda person, i follow the service schedule, instructions, even the break-in recommendations. Car manufacturers make a car a certain way for a reason, you get the most life out of your vehicle doing what is said to do. (thats the reason i have 377k on my jeep now)
Glad to hear that, I suppose AAA's towing manuals (made strictly for professional towing outfits) was written by idiots that never towed a vehicle in their life, and I suppose they did not gather their information from the manufactureres of these vehicles.

Not trying to be an *** but, Sorry for not going to my 1990 YJ manual to give advice to the OP, owner of a 2008 JK.
Unread 06-24-2009, 01:51 PM   #13
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
...And that is the reason why a lot of towing companies are sued for fubaring t-cases.
Yeah they are sued for fubaring t-cases because half of their employees are retarded white trash that simply hook the vehicles wheels, put it in nuetral and go, they dont follow the manuals.
Unread 06-24-2009, 01:57 PM   #14
bjones71087
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Yeah they are sued for fubaring t-cases because half of their employees are retarded white trash
i can agree with that part...
Unread 06-24-2009, 01:57 PM   #15
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Sorry if I offended you, I was simply stating that most people who will reply are not towing experts, they are giving their two cents. My answer was to go to the manual and get the real answer. The manual says all four off the ground, and I said do whatever you please, but I recommend by the book. Again sorry for offending you jones, just trying to get proper advice to the OP

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.