Towing with a manual transmission - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Towing with a manual transmission

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 05-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
Xanatos
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Towing with a manual transmission

I haven't seen anything on the forum about this yet, so here is my situation. I've heard different people telling me that it is ok to pull a trailer with a manual transmission, and other people have told me that doing so is a bad idea. I have a 1991 Cherokee 4.0, 5-speed with no towing package. I was wondering if it was safe to be towing a trailer with my Jeep. If so, do I need anything besides a hitch? Thanks for the replies!

Unread 05-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

What size trailer are we talking here?

Are you planning on a lot of hills?

I pulled a small popup camper with my 4.0 96 XJ, and it was okay. Better with my 5.2 ZJ....even better with my 7.3 F-250
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
jhurt
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If all your worried about it the fact that you have to shift the gears...don't worry. In fact on hills and such it's better (runs cooler). My tow rig is a manual, I love it. My 'ol man has an auto in his 3/4 ton suburban, he loves it. They both work great
Unread 05-20-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
Xanatos
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
What size trailer are we talking here?

Are you planning on a lot of hills?

I pulled a small popup camper with my 4.0 96 XJ, and it was okay. Better with my 5.2 ZJ....even better with my 7.3 F-250

Well, I live in the mountains of Hendersonville, nc. So yes, there are many hills. I'm thinking I probably won't do anything bigger than a small pop-up trailer. I've just never had any experience pulling a trailer before so I want all the advice I can get before I do something stupid. haha
Unread 05-20-2012, 11:30 PM   #5
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

You're saying mountains to a Colorado native...I live higher than most of the state of NC

a 4.0 XJ will handle a small popup with no trouble at all. Just be smart with the clutch, and take it slow. Remember that your brakes are close to garbage now...they're worse when you have a shoebox behind you. Go slow and steady, anticipate maneuvers. You'll be fine.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2012, 11:34 PM   #6
SOTXmudder
1984 CJ7 

You should be fine with just a small pop up. My CJ7 has a 4 speed in it and at times has pulled a boat.
SOTXmudder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #7
Xanatos
1991 XJ Cherokee 

FPkites, the mountains around here are pretty awesome, but I do wish I could get out there to Colorado someday soon.

Thanks all for the advice. Looks like I'll be buying a trailer hitch soon.
Unread 05-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
Xanatos
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Does anyone know if there are wires already installed to hook up for lights on my trailer? Or maybe just run a few wires from my Jeep's taillight?

Tags
manual transmission , towing , trailer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.