Towing Jeep with a minivan - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 07-01-2009, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Towing Jeep with a minivan

Last year we went to Crested Butte Colorado and the whole time I was wishing I had my TJ. I have a 2008 Chrysler Town and Country with the 4.0 litre engine and 6 speed auto trans. I want to tow the Jeep there next month. I have searched and found out that it has a 1600 lb. tongue weight cap. A friend has a 16 ft. trailer with double axels and brakes that I could use.
My questions are:
Can I tow the Jeep with this minivan without screwing something up?
Do the brakes work off of the pig tail plug?
How do you know what the tongue weight on the loaded trailer is?
I have read that it's better to tow on a trailer, but would it be better to flat tow with this minivan?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 12:54 AM
USMCredneck
1979 CJ5 

I wouldnt do it. I dont think it would have the towing capacity you need (at least about 5000lbs with a light trailer). The brakes wouldnt work on the standard 4 way pigtail, you would have to add a brake controller etc.

Is the whole family going? I think I would have the wife drive the minivan and you drive the jeep before attempting to tow with the minivan.

79 CJ5. 258, T-18A, D20. 33s
08 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW DD/tow rig
post #3 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 02:06 AM
theGiantPanda
Swap This...

2006 LJ Wrangler 

simply put... no.
could you physically hook the two together... yes.
would it damage the mini van in more way than one. yes.
could you stop it, maybe... but probably not. could you safely stop it 'quick'...big no.
as usmc stated youd have to add a break controller but the rv dealership will tell you not to tow it.
will it crush the rear springs.. you bet.
the minivan doesnt have a real frame under it, pretty sure its still a unibody=stamped steel chassis=not good for towing anything more than a pair of jet skis.
id borrow or rent a full size truck/SUV if you wanted to get everybody and everything out there safely.

tongue weight of the trailer, need a trailer 'tongue weight' scale which sits in the coupler.
hook the trailer to a suitable vehicle.
load the jeep on the trailer
get suitable floor jack, jack up trailer with the jack near the tongue
move vehicle out of the way and set tongue scale under trailer coupler
lower jack so all tongue weight is on the scale.
put eyes back in when you see the actual weight!! and remember tongue weight will change with the hitch height of the tow vehicle and where the jeep is positioned on the trailer.

OR just load it and take it to your local RV/trailer dealer

could you flat tow it... again sure. should you, no. wouldnt recommend it. they will fight each other and the mini van doesnt have the power or brakes to win. kinda like the trailer issue.

if you flat tow and break the jeep by determination or misfortune, you have created a major problem in regards to getting the busted rig back home and you now have more issues to deal with away from home.

ive work in the trailer industry and my best freind is the service manager of a national rv dealership here. hes been dealing with all aspects of trailering for almost 20 years now... wow were getting older.. oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCJ View Post
Jesus. This is what heaven on 4 wheels looks like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
Hospital? What, are you suffering from Overextended Jeepaphelia or something? :)
I've never been poor, only broke. Poor is a state of mind. Broke is a condition brought on by Jeep ownership and a heavy right foot.

2006 Unlimited Redicon Panda Edition
RRI Long Arm...14" Fox CO's Front and Rear...D60 KP Front and D60 FF Rear... 5.38s spooled...40" Maxxis Trepadors...
6.1 HEMI...Atlas 5.1

5.7 HEMI 400 hp TJ Build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

6.1 HEMI Ultimate LJ Rubicon Build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2.5 to 4.0L swap and build up

4.0 to 2008 5.3L GM LS in the Taco'd TJ [frame off build].....

My new DD Build, lift, 4.0 motor swap, done in 6 days?....

the new shop...
conversion, parts and wiring systems
shop email....

LIKE US on facebook.....
adding more daily
redrockindustries.net

post #4 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 09:03 AM
That1guy

2007 WK 

No, mini vans dont tow. You need a full size truck or suv for that.

I'm forever grateful to Speedycat and RnEmOvr for their generosity
post #5 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 09:25 AM
ZJeepMI
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't trailer it, but flat towing is an option. One of my parent friends flat towed their CJ-7 three hours up north, they said it did surprisingly well. I was an '06 I think, Chrysler minivan.

2001 TJ Wrangler, 2.5l, 5 speed, Stock.
Previous Jeeps:
'98 XJ, 3.5" lift, 31" BFG A/T, Aussie Locked D30 with Alloy Shafts, 8.25 rear, SYE, Skids, JCR Front bumper, Roof Rack
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2" lift, 31's, V8, NP242...
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Stock, 230K miles.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 11:00 AM
That1guy

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJeepMI View Post
I wouldn't trailer it, but flat towing is an option. One of my parent friends flat towed their CJ-7 three hours up north, they said it did surprisingly well. I was an '06 I think, Chrysler minivan.
Still wouldn't. I've towed a YJ behind a XJ and the XJ had 4.56 gears and 31's. That jeep had a hard time on anything besides flat ground. XJ's are rated at 5000 pounds. Way more than a mini van....

post #7 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 11:04 AM
USMCredneck
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJeepMI View Post
Nah, I think giant panda has it. The minivan may be able to pull it, but it just doesnt have the weight to control the jeep should the need for an emergency stop arise. And if he breaks it on the trail, theres no way to get it home without a crazy tow bill.

Even besides all that, it's nowhere near worth the risk. Especially since his family will be with him, no matter how good the trails are. Find an alternate tow vehicle.

post #8 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 12:02 PM
That1guy

2007 WK 

Ok just to drive the point home.

I looked it up the van says between 1000-3500 pounds towing.

I can tell you now that the jeep is going to weigh right at 3000 some pounds if not more. Add your family and their stuff and you'll be over 400 pounds because cargo and people take off from the tow rating.

post #9 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 03:30 PM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not sure you could get the above agreement on whether there are 16 ounces in a pound. When this many people say no, I think you have got to listen. I've never had the (pleasure?) of owning a mini van, and hope I never do. But if it only has towing capacity of 3800lb, you are gonna be pretty miserable with your family all loaded up and the Jeep on the trailer.

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)
post #10 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 03:38 PM
USMCredneck
1979 CJ5 

Just remember, your 3800lb. tow rating is with half a tank of gas and driver only. EVERYTHING else takes away from from that. 3000lb. jeep plus trailer (5 or 600lbs for a light one), plus family, plus camping gear, etc... You are going to be way over your 3800lb max.

post #11 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 03:48 PM
andrew383
1997 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=cuder;7511890] I have searched and found out that it has a 1600 lb. tongue weight cap. [QUOTE]

i can assure you thats not anywhere near what it is,Most 3/4 ton pickups barely have that much rating.

just drive the jeep

97 tj-Locked up on 33's
post #12 of 13 Old 07-02-2009, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks alot for the replies. I was really wanting to get it to Colorado, but safely with the family. Too much in gas to take both!!!! I guess I will just rent one for a day while we are there. I can't hardly wait it's about 102 deg. for the high here now. And it's lower to mid 70 deg. for the high there.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-11-2010, 10:08 PM
DallastheJeeper
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Pull the van with the Jeep!!

|(@)(@)"""""""""""|(@) (@)***|(@)

#5-06 Salvage Rebuild LJ
Metalcloak Bumper, Overline fenders and Corner guards.
3.5" Sus Lift
1'' Body lift and engine lift

#4-98 TJ Sahara RIP :(
#3-42 GPW Project. Currently on hold Sand blasted the body and it was held together by screen and bondo so new Tub needed
#2-88 Comanche Currently getting a frame off rebuild and a 4bt.
#1-1994 Power Wheels Wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.