Towing a Ford Focus with an XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Towing a Ford Focus with an XJ

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-20-2012, 08:01 AM   #1
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Towing a Ford Focus with an XJ

This summer, I'm hoping to pick up a rust-free XJ from out of state and get it back to NY.

I have a few options. I can pay someone to trailer it up (well, I can't as it's too expensive), I can drive down with a tow vehicle and tow one back, or I can drive my Focus down (35+ MPG) and drag it back with an XJ.

I'm thinking the third would be the easiest.

Paying someone to trailer the vehicle back to NY would cost way too much.

Driving my XJ down to tow one back OR getting a tow vehicle and tow bar / trailer would cost a TON in gas.

My Focus is able to get out of the rust belt on $60 in gas. There are draw bars available for the focus.

My plan is to drive 6 or so hours out of the rust belt, pick up an XJ (preferably 5 speed), throw a receiver on (if it doesn't have one), install a trans cooler (if it's an auto) and tow the focus back.

Would this be a bad idea?

Unread 01-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

An auto transport on an open rig can cost $500 (not the $1000 that brokers quote). Check the discount shippers. With all of the variables involved, $500 would be your cheapest option.
Unread 01-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Nickell80
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Why not just bring someone with you and drive both vehicles back?
Sure it will cost a little more in gas but you don't have to worry about trying to tow the car with a Jeep you know nothing about and having to spend more money just to make the Jeep able to tow the focus.
Unread 01-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
ajmorell

I agree it's a bit risky but the XJ would flat tow the Focus no problem. My focus 2-door hatch weighs in at around 2800 lb which is well within the XJ's capabilities.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

That's assuming the newly purchased XJ would be up for a six hour ride, towing the Focus. If the new-to-you XJ wasn't up for it, that would be a bad way to find out.

I personally would pick it up on a trailer and tow it home. However, it may be easier to get a partner to drive one or the other back, rather than depending on the new purchase to get both vehicles home.

Good luck.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickell80 View Post
Why not just bring someone with you and drive both vehicles back?
Sure it will cost a little more in gas but you don't have to worry about trying to tow the car with a Jeep you know nothing about and having to spend more money just to make the Jeep able to tow the focus.
I'd like to buy a 5 speed. My Focus is 5 speed. I have 0 friends who know how to drive a manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
That's assuming the newly purchased XJ would be up for a six hour ride, towing the Focus. If the new-to-you XJ wasn't up for it, that would be a bad way to find out.

I personally would pick it up on a trailer and tow it home. However, it may be easier to get a partner to drive one or the other back, rather than depending on the new purchase to get both vehicles home.

Good luck.
That's one of my options. I could borrow my dad's F350 and drag a dolley or a full trailer down to tow it back on. I just don't want to play around with trailers and a truck that's going to get <10MPG towing.
Unread 01-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
bruteboy

take a bus down and drive it back.
bruteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #8
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruteboy View Post
take a bus down and drive it back.
That's also an option. But then I can't take tools.
Unread 02-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #9
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post

Good luck.
This /\

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #10
MeSmartRabbit

thats what I would do
MeSmartRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #11
mooser83
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
I'd like to buy a 5 speed. My Focus is 5 speed. I have 0 friends who know how to drive a manual.
Lies! I have been driving manual cars for 10+ years!

Unless...

You don't consider me your friend.
mooser83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.