Towing Debate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Towing Debate

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
ElkhornRanch
1997 ZJ 

Towing Debate

Hi Guys, My buddy and I are having a debate tonight about towing and we thought we would get a wider opinion. Let's say you have a "load and a half", as in a pickup bed and a half of stuff. So, do you load up the pickup bed full and then place the overflow in a trailer, or do you load up the trailer full and then put the remainder in the pickup bed?

What do you think? Thanks!

ElkhornRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Load the truck to capacity, then the remaining items in the trailer.

Make sure that the tongue weight of the trailer is calculated into the truck's capacity.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 01:15 AM   #3
Indy

Load the trailer, remainder in the truck. hehehe

Seriously though i believe most trucks can tow more than they can carry.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
ElkhornRanch
1997 ZJ 

Well you guys are no help!

What you both said are pretty much what we ended up with last night. What we concluded with was: put things where they fit, don't exceed any limits, follow the rules, but other than that, do whatever you want.
Bottom line: Don't be dumb.

Oh well, I wonder what we'll find to argue about next weekend...

Thanks!
ElkhornRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Haha!

There is no difference in loading a trailer and pickup as any other transport. The following rules apply.

Load the heaviest items from the bottom up and the center out. The goal is to have all axles bearing approximately similar weights. Tongue weight must be 10-15% of trailer weight. So, add this to the rear axle weight unless a weight distribution hitch is used them add a percentage based upon the hitch manufacturers claims to distribution to the front axle. If you don't know, assume 10%.

Then, add weight to the trailer and the truck to get the balance approximately the same on each axle. If you have a two axle trailer and a 5000 payload, the rear axle of the truck will have 1600 pounds of the truck's own weight and about 600 pounds of tongue weight. So, if you put everything on the trailer it will be about equal on all three axles. Maybe the bed could use 300 pounds or so. If you have 10,000 pounds, you will need the tongue weight, now 750 pounds plus the 1600 of the truck, and then add 1000 pounds for a total of around 3300 on each axle.

Math is approximate, but you get the idea.
Unread 09-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
nwco4x4
2013 JK Wrangler 

Trailer first. If t you load the truck full first then add the tongue weight of the trailer plus half load, you will be more likely to go over the gawr and overload your rear suspension.
nwco4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.