Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Towing a car with a ZJ? Possible? 5.2

4K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  LouC 
#1 ·
Okay so i got my ZJ with a 5.2, Dana 40 rear end, and transmission and t-case i dont know, but I'm wondering can i tow my Trans Am for about 7/8 miles?

It's a short distance into town cause the TAs tranny pooped on me in November and going to have plenty of cash saved up by late march to get a nice new setup. SO the shop isn't far like 7ish miles if that, but if i remember right the door says 4,400 max towing weight i belive? and the car ways 3,400. No way i can use a car dolley casue the trans is locked up and wont even roll in the driveway. SO i need a flatbed trailer and i know one i may be able to borrow buit it weighs like 2,000-2,200 pounds so total of 5400-5600.

Toungue wieght i dont know, but do you think that's possible? I'm going to continue to look for another trailer but im not sure of what I'll find.

Also I'm going to have to do 55MPH on a highway, then after that its 25MPH. I know its gonna destroy my mileage worse too.:thumbdown:

#4 ·
Yaa didnt think of pulling the drive shaft. Might do that but still would have to see if it could fit up being so low.

The reason im trying to get around having it towed is cause its 7 miles. To tow it on a flat bed is $275!! Thats really outrageous

#5 ·
My buddy pulls his rock crawler with his 97 zj 4.0 (7in lift, 33s) from time to time. It's not the best tow rig by any means, but it works. We've went on wheeling trips an hour away and it does fine. I honestly wouldn't think twice about pulling a car 8 miles up the road.

#6 ·
Rear end is either a Dana 35 or Dana 44a fwiw. Either way tow rating is 6500#, when properly equipped. Balance the load properly, make sure whatever trailer you use has brakes and take it slow. I think a tow truck is a better and possibly cheaper option though

#12 ·
Rook87 said:
Ive towed my z28 to the dragstrip plenty behind a 98 5.2 80 miles round trip plenty of times. Just do it, don't waste money on a Damn tow truck.
Exactly what I was Trying to say. If you have the vehicle, and have the access to the trailer, and just a little bit of common driving sense, you will be just fine. Leave plenty of stopping distance, don't get in a hurry, and be done with it.

#21 ·
tow it and dont worry about it. i towed a 1969 pontiac grand prix on a uhaul car trailer (6000lbs total) with my 95 ZJ 5.2. pulled it like nothing, didnt sway around on the highway, just leave enough distance for stopping, and if you ever plan on towing more, it would be a good idea to install a trans temp gauge.

#23 ·
The main things are trailer brakes MUST work or you will have a hard time stopping, and you have to make sure the load is balanced (10% on the tongue). When I first got our boat 11 years ago, the trainer didnt have brakes. The boat+trailer=3800 lbs or so. I could barely stop it with ZJ brakes in good shape. I rebuilt that trailer with a new axle+surge drum brakes and had no trouble stopping it. I towed a 12'x6' U-Haul open trailer with surge brakes (light load, prob 2,000 lbs) and I didn't even feel it back there.
Air bags in the rear coils really help with the tongue weight.

I towed a cargo trailer fully loaded, no brakes (3000 lbs) with my WK and no problem stopping, WK brakes much better when towing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.