Towing with 727 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Towing with 727

Free Flowmaster Gear from Black Friday to Cyber Monday!!!!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueCorbeau Seats & Harness from CCOR!

Unread 01-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
jeepdj5
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Towing with 727

I'm going to be pick up and delivery for our mower repair, also pulling my 14' boat. Would it be worth it to buy a deep pan and a tranny oil cooler?

Sent from my fsj Cherokee chief using JeepForum

jeepdj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
jeepdj5
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

HELP

Unread 01-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
jeepdj5
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Bump

Unread 01-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
ajmorell

Yes, absolutely.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
LouC
2007 WK 

How much weight are you towing on a regular basis? Does it have the standard cooler in the rad? If you are towing regularly the deep pan and aux cooler are good ideas. Put the aux cooler in the return line from the rad cooler.
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
jeepdj5
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC
How much weight are you towing on a regular basis? Does it have the standard cooler in the rad? If you are towing regularly the deep pan and aux cooler are good ideas. Put the aux cooler in the return line from the rad cooler.
Yep it's a small 3994 lb towing capacity utility trailer, my boat is a 14' aluminum don't think I have to worry about towing that! So I think I will put a cooler on front, yes it's still going threw the rad

Unread 03-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
saxart
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I think the radiatior mounted trans cooler would be the most help. Keep in mind that deep pan doesn't really do much but hold more fluid. Sure, it takes longer to heat up, but it doesn't really SHED heat much better than a standard pan. Will it hurt? Certainly not, but for the money I think you'll get better cooling function from a cooler.

'99 Wrangler Sport: 2.5" Old Man Emo lift and shocks, adjustable trackbars, Quick-Disko sway links, rollin on 31" BFG A/Ts
saxart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxart View Post
Sure, it takes longer to heat up, but it doesn't really SHED heat much better than a standard pan. Will it hurt? Certainly not, but for the money I think you'll get better cooling function from a cooler.
Most deep pans are aluminum and finned, which means they promote better heat transfer than the standard stamped steel pan.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #9
jeepdj5
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell

Most deep pans are aluminum and finned, which means they promote better heat transfer than the standard stamped steel pan.
That's what I was looking at!

Unread 03-13-2013, 08:07 PM   #10
LouC
2007 WK 

I was going to install a Mopar deep pan on my 42RE but it wouldn't clear the exhaust. The OE pan on this trans is pretty deep to start with. I put a 7"x11"x3/4" B&M Supercooler in the return line back to the trans from the rad cooler. Most aftermarket trans cooler manufacturers recommend that it is installed this way. I used brackets to space the cooler away from the AC condenser to allow more air circulation. I measured some temps with an IR heat gun and it seems to run at least 30 degrees cooler than it did without the cooler. Make sure to check your clamps and lines for leaks a few times after the install. And also, the inlet/outlet of the aux cooler should face either down, or to one side or the other, not up because that can cause an airlock in the cooler. B&M notes this in the instructions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.