Towing a 5'x8' U-Haul trailer w/ 2002 Wrangler X - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Towing a 5'x8' U-Haul trailer w/ 2002 Wrangler X

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-29-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
Spelunk

Towing a 5'x8' U-Haul trailer w/ 2002 Wrangler X

Hello, I've never towed anything before. I'm moving from California to Louisiana, and I don't have enough stuff to justify a truck (plus the costs are crazy high - renting a truck and towing my Jeep would be almost $2500). So I'm thinking of having a U-Haul hitch installed and pulling a 5'x8', which would cost - altogether - around $1000. My Wrangler has a hard top so no problems there.

I know the Wrangler has a 2000lb towing limit. The 5'x8' trailer is estimated at 900lbs on their website, leaving me 1100lbs of packing. The heaviest things in my belongings are about eight small boxes of books (16x12x12) which weigh about 50lbs each; plus a full drumset, some guitars, and a bunch of random boxes of other household junk. No appliances, maybe a plasma TV and stand if I can't sell it, etc. So I'll be at or near the maximum weight (the trailer will be fully packed). I'll have to pack the car with the remaining stuff, and add a bike rack, so it's a pretty full load.

So maybe I'm just a wuss, but I'm worried about damaging my car. Am I just being paranoid? I'd hate to wreck my car because I'm being cheap.

Spelunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
1fastR
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Should be fine. Is your Jeep an auto or manual?
1fastR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
Mayfair_Jeeper
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Shouldnt be an issue, but depending on what transmission you have, and thegearing, you may hate the Jeep by the time you get to Louisiana Hopefully you have a manual with at least 3.73 gearing, preferably 4.11's. Good luck with the trip!
Mayfair_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
Spelunk

The Jeep's a manual, and after years of driving it around in LA traffic I'm long past the point of hating it. :-P

Not sure of my gear ratio, I've never crawled around under the car. Seems like the X has 3.73 ratio as standard. I scheduled the hitch appointment, hope I make it!
Spelunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.