Towing with a 2010 unlimited - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Towing with a 2010 unlimited

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 01-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
scrambled
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Towing with a 2010 unlimited

I am looking to get a camping trailer. I have a 2010 unlimited JK. I am looking at these...

http://www.jayco.com/php/products/bu...ice.php?id=375

I am looking at the 15 foot one, fully maxed out it weighs in at 3200lbs. Has anyone towed a travel trailer like this with their JK? I will get the brake control, sway bar and weight distribution hitch to help out. What does everyone think?

*Drake Off Road Products
scrambled is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
Skiboldt
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have a 2007 unlimited, automatic with 4.10 axle. We have a Takena model 1860 travle trailer 18'9' overall length , dual axle, fully loaded and only 2700lbs. I searched all travel trailers and found this online. We pulled it last year over central BC, over passes, and all went well. the trailer is well thought out and we plan on a several month trip to alaska in the future. I found our local dealers carried very little in good options for light weight trailers. ther is primarily only two of us when we go. Gas useage has been from 12 to 16 mpg travleing about 60mph. flats get about 15, hills 12. Hoope this helps.
Skiboldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
scrambled
2006 LJ Wrangler 

yes it does, i am also looking at one called a fun finder, dealer just got it in. It has the same layout as yours. Thanks
*Drake Off Road Products
scrambled is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 11:38 PM   #4
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Having pulled just about everything with anything, but not anything with a JK, I am still going to weigh in. I think when you are traveling for fun, with all your stuff on board, and no real flexibility in dealing with mechanical failure, one should try to shoot for the most effective tow vehicle one can put on the road, not one of the least. It is quite one thing to throw a rig and a couple of quads on a trailer with a buddy in the passenger seat and head off to a trail or a park a couple of hours away, compared to having a full complement of equipment that can't be off loaded, a wife in the passenger seat and a plan for a thousand miles of travel with a schedule along the way.

Travel trailers tow like boats with every gust of wind grabbing the thing like a sail and themselves are about as poorly constructed, axle and frame wise as anything on wheels. They are a pain to tow with a competent tow vehicle. I wouldn't consider towing that big particle board and vinyl box with anything but a real tow rig.
Unread 01-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
unlblkrubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I pulled our Forest River R-Pod, about 2100lbs, from Alabama to the Grand Canyon,over to Cortez, New Mexico last summer with my 2011 JKUR. I was well within the tow rating (3500 lbs) but the motor just didn't have the power. 9 to 10 mpg also. I wouldn't try this again unless I had the 2012 with more powerful engine. Have the auto trans and it was always downshifting. Just to much wind drag towing a RV. Even with the 2012 I wouldn't try a cross countrytrip again.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.