Towing with a 1993 Jeep Country - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Towing with a 1993 Jeep Country

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
anthonyforensic

Towing with a 1993 Jeep Country

I have a 1993 Jeep Country (XJ). It is the 4.0 I6 AT and is rated at 5,000 lbs towing. Tomorrow I need to tow a small car, 2,300 lbs using a tow dolly which I was told weighs 700 lbs. So the total weight towing is 3,000 lbs and the tongue weight will be really small since the back wheels of the car will be on the road and the front wheels will rest on the dolly.

A buddy of mine who is into Jeeps told me I won't have any issues. Do I tow in 4x4 or 2WD?

Also, I was told to not use Overdrive. So does that mean I have to manually shift the car from 1,2 and then 3 using the gear shifter (Since D will shift into overdrive)? I did not get a manual with the car when I bought it used a few years ago. It is very well maint, has a trans cooler, straight pipe with muffler (no catalytic converter)...

anthonyforensic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2012, 12:51 AM   #2
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

You can find the user manual from jeep itself or online. As for towing you will be fine if you keep the speed down. Always tow in gear selector 3 all this does is change the shift points some and wont allow the transmission to engage the overdrive basically the same thing as the older cars that had D then something like a D in a box. As for 2wd or 4x4 use 2wd unless your in a situation that needs 4x4 this will reduce wear and possible damage from improper use of 4x4.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I had an 01 Grand with the I6. I had to tow my TJ home on an autodolly, (not easy to get the staps around a 35" tire) and it was fine. Mt TJ is about 3,800lbs. It did fine. On the other had I have a 3,000lb camper trailer and the Grand was so bad for towing the trailer so I got rid of the Grand.

I had an 01 Grand with the I6. I had to tow my TJ home on an auto dolly, (not easy to get the straps around a 35" tire) and it did fine. My TJ is about 3,500lbs.
I would suppose thing would be similar for your XJ, I think you will be fine. Backing with a vehicle dolly is a different than backing a normal trailer. Try to do as little backingup as possibe.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
cory4um
1999 XJ Cherokee 

You will be fine.
Leave it in 2wd, and in 3. No need to shift from 1/2 into 3. Just take it easy and give plenty of stopping distance. Its the stopping you need to watch for.
cory4um is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
anthonyforensic

Thanks for all of your help. Everything went fine. I just drove slow, hit 55 max. The Jeep didn't struggle at all. The ice storm even came early, so we hit some ice patches and a few inches of snow. That didn't stop the Jeep

Again, thanks for all of the information!!!
anthonyforensic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.