Towing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Towing

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
Ejd

Towing

I just purchased a JK 07 with tow package. I would like to by a travel trailer. Does anyone know how much I can tow? I was told 3500 but I thought that was light.

Ejd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
Indy

3500 behind a wrangler is anything but light. Safe tows have very little to do with how much weight the engine can tow, but how much can the car stop and control. No travel trailers unless theyre tiny and light.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #3
bbacus
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Towing with a wrangler

Like "Indy" said, towing with a wrangler is an exhilarating experience. Even though the jk with tow package is rated at 3500lbs, you would be wise to keep it under this weight. I tow a light weight trailer behind my tj and it does a great job, but the weight fully loaded is under 900lbs and it is a low profile trailer. If you do anything, take the trailer for a tow before buying, just to see what happens...
bbacus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Tow ratings are "one size fits all." Too bad. the 3500 ponds sounds like enough for a small travel trailer, but a travel trailer is the worst load that can be towed behind anything (although I did once tow a laundry machine on steel wheels across town on a strap).

Seriously, the travel trailer is the worst. It is like a sail on the back of your rig. It presents more area for cross winds than even a boat. And, nothing can be re-balanced except for the personal stuff you put in them unless you move the axles. Cheapo axles and poor brakes. I would divide the load rating by two for a cheapo travel trailer. An F250 PS or better is a good tow rig for a travel trailer.

A 3500 pound TT is nothing like the typical load of 3500 pounds of cargo and trailer.
Unread 09-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #5
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have a hybrid travel trailer that weighs 2400lbs. I tow it with a 4 runner, I can't imagine it would be an issue with your jeep. As far as towing with a Wrangler, I have towed trailers close to or at my 01 Wrangler 2K limit many many times, both open, covered and small boats and had no issues. Just like with any other vehicle you do need to take care when towing. I have even pulled way over the limit for CA to MO. I would not recommend doing that.

I have had three travel trailers in about the last 5 years. I grew up camping in trailers. My parents where teachers and we would camp every summer in a camper trailer. The trailer I have now is by far my favorite. We have been really happy with this one and plan on keeping it. It is about 14k new, depending on how it is equipped. It is small, light and easy to tow. You can keep it folded up or extend out the tents. Even in weather below zero and above 100 and tents open we can keep it quite comfortable inside.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
bbacus
1999 TJ Wrangler 

3500 Max

You should try to tow a small trailer with your jk before you decide. Going 65+mph down the highway with a jk may be an experience you will not soon forget. The last post said he towed a 2400 lb trailer with his 4runner, but the 4runner is a better tow vehicle. I wouldn't go much higher than this, and I mean gross trailer weight....ie, fully loaded with gear and water.

You may be an experienced rv'er, but if you decide to tow a trailer make sure you get a load leveling hitch with sway bar too. This can make a big difference. Also if you find the trailer swaying behind you to much, it means that your tongue weight is to light. You can't do anything about this, but make sure that your hitch is level with the trailer (on level ground) and that your heavy gear is towards the front of the trailer. If this continues to happen, I can only promise you that this is a very dangerous motion....especially with a jk.
bbacus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbacus View Post
You should try to tow a small trailer with your jk before you decide. Going 65+mph down the highway with a jk may be an experience you will not soon forget. The last post said he towed a 2400 lb trailer with his 4runner, but the 4runner is a better tow vehicle. I wouldn't go much higher than this, and I mean gross trailer weight....ie, fully loaded with gear and water.

You may be an experienced rv'er, but if you decide to tow a trailer make sure you get a load leveling hitch with sway bar too. This can make a big difference. Also if you find the trailer swaying behind you to much, it means that your tongue weight is to light. You can't do anything about this, but make sure that your hitch is level with the trailer (on level ground) and that your heavy gear is towards the front of the trailer. If this continues to happen, I can only promise you that this is a very dangerous motion....especially with a jk.

I have towed heavier loads then my trailer above with my 01 TJ (not recommending this). It was a cargo trailer and I could control how the weight is distributed (affects tongue weight) on the trailer, this makes a huge difference. With a camper you really cannot do this.

As far as a weight distributing hitch, there is one mopar has of the 4door. I would not do that type of hitch unless the receiver and vehicle where designed for it. Not only are you disturbing the weight you are also transferring all the forces that are usually handled by the trailer hitch rotating on the ball. Those forces are transferred to the weight distribution bars on that type of hitch to the receiver and then to the frame. If the receiver, frame or vehicle are not up to the task there could be a problem.

You should be able to safely pull what jeep says you can pull as long as you do it how they tell you to do it, however there is an unwritten law in trailer pulling not to exceed 80%.

I have had a few campers over the last 5 years. From my experience the lighter the trailer and the easier to tow the less stress you will have and the more you will enjoy your time. The more room you have in the trailer the more momma will enjoy her time and all this will determine how much your kids enjoy their time and also again how much you will enjoy your time.

Hybrid like the one I have can be light and give you allot more room than a traditional trailer of the same size and weight. It is nice to not have to fold up and down beds dinettes and coaches every morning just to lay them back out every evening. Hybrids are great choice for camping trailers.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
The more room you have in the trailer the more momma will enjoy her time and all this will determine how much your kids enjoy their time and also again how much you will enjoy your time.
I can imagine that's the truth...

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
Tireguy
2009 JK Wrangler 

I tow a 1000lb. pop-up (8 ft box) with my 09 JKU. Does it feel 'heavy' behind us? Yep. But at 60mph, overdrive off, cruise control on, it pulls like a dream. No sway, no stability issues. Is the JK taxed a bit in the acceleration department? You bet. Does it stop well? Yes! Since the trailer is not equipped with brakes, extra stopping distance and looking/planning far ahead keeps us out of trouble. It helps that we live in the fairly flat Midwest, so gravity and terrain are not against us when it comes to climbing or descending long grades.
With the camper and, say, 300 lbs. of gear, dog, and wife in addition to the camper, that's quite a load for my JKU.
I can't imagine pulling a 2000-3000lb camper of any kind (plus gear) with a JKU...even with a WDH and trailer brakes. Weigh your options (pun intended) carefully when choosing a camper if your JKU is doing the towing duties. Good luck!
Tireguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.