tow trailer with living quarters pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > tow trailer with living quarters pics

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-19-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
papa355
1977 CJ7 

tow trailer with living quarters pics

I have been looking thru the "tow rig" thread but, I am more interested in just seeing trailers. I already have two capable trucks.

I am going to build a trailer and wondered if anyone would share some pics of what you have or use. I don't have the cash to run out and buy a $20,000-$40,000 rig. So I plan on building my own.

My dad took an enclosed car hauler.....put in a queen size bed, kitchen,water tank, shelves, propane...etc. He built his to haul his RZRs. I am interested in something similar but the CJ7 is a great deal taller than the RZRS.This idea would work, but gonna have to raise the roof. I would like to do it in a goose neck version, but would like to see all versions. So I can get some ideas.

I liked the old U haul rig, and even seen plenty of pulling guys and racers use old school buses. What do you guys think of those rigs?

probably should add I would probably start with an existing trailer and modify it. Not build from ground up.

Thanks a bunch, guys

"I wouldn't have road rage, If you knew how to drive...."
papa355 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I bought a nice semi sleeper off a wrecked Freightliner to go on the trailer bed but never got around to doing it. I found one with all the bells and whistles. And, it was roomy and much cleaner and more private than putting sleeping accommodations into a box truck. I wish I had finished that project.
Unread 02-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
papa355
1977 CJ7 

That's one option I was thinking about, some of those sleepers are pretty damn nice.

Unread 02-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Ive seen some where its a open car trailer with a camper on them just can't remember where. You can also buy a enclosed car trailer that will fit a CJ just need a smaller set of tires to get it inside unless you have the money to buy a low boy type of trailer
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
LalanP111
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I remeber seeing the U-Haul rig, very nice idea! The enclosed car trailors are nice however like stated above, your going to need tiny tires to get your rig to fit inside of it. With the box truck idea your also looking at getting your class b's..possibly air brake endorsment also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
It takes care of me and in return, I take care of it. Takes me away from everything I don't want to be around, and back again when needed...
LalanP111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #6
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LalanP111 View Post
I remeber seeing the U-Haul rig, very nice idea! The enclosed car trailors are nice however like stated above, your going to need tiny tires to get your rig to fit inside of it. With the box truck idea your also looking at getting your class b's..possibly air brake endorsment also.
Amazingly, you don't actually need an air brake endorsement unless its a commercial rig. There is no air brake endorsement for a private license. You need a CDL for a GVWR of 26000 pounds, and if you have a CDL for a pickup for example, you need a air brake endorsement for a vehicle with full air under 26000 but I can drive any rig of less than 26000 with nothing more than a regular license, with full air. My Volvo was once a 33,000 GVWR rig but it was registered at 25,500 which is perfectly legal as long as it never exceeds the 25,500.
Unread 02-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
papa355
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LalanP111 View Post

You can get uder cdl trucks big enough to haul the jeep. You can get a 4700 IH under CDL.(for example)(with Hyd brakes) *we have one of those @ work.

My service truck is 16,500# gvw,(hyd brakes) I am legal until I hook a trailer to it. Because all our trailers put it over 26,000#. Cus it goes off the combined gvw, plus that's commercial use.You can get class A or B without air brake if you wanted it that way.

CDL's are not a problem anyway. Besides, I want to do the trailer idea first, unless a killer deal on an Rv, or box truck comes along.

SO no-one has any pics to share?

Unread 02-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa355 View Post
You can get uder cdl trucks big enough to haul the jeep. You can get a 4700 IH under CDL.(for example)(with Hyd brakes) *we have one of those @ work.

My service truck is 16,500# gvw,(hyd brakes) I am legal until I hook a trailer to it. Because all our trailers put it over 26,000#. Cus it goes off the combined gvw, plus that's commercial use.You can get class A or B without air brake if you wanted it that way.

CDL's are not a problem anyway. Besides, I want to do the trailer idea first, unless a killer deal on an Rv, or box truck comes along.

SO no-one has any pics to share?
Those suck stopping with any large loads. Air brakes are the way to go plus they are easy to adjust and keep in working order. Getting a CDL without air brakes is a waste of time since its a rather easy part of the test if you have half a brain. I have my class A CDL and keep it up to date with everything im supposed to. I can drive anything out there with all but hazmat loads didn't care about getting it at the time.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

OK, let's clarify this. One does not need a CDL to operate a rig with full air under 26,000 GVWR.
Unread 02-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #10
USMCredneck
1979 CJ5 

Are you wanting the whole trailer enclosed? I saw a thread a long while back where a guy took a flatbed and mounted a slide-in camper on the front of it, then strapped the jeep on the back half of the trailer.
Unread 02-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #11
papa355
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCredneck View Post
Are you wanting the whole trailer enclosed? I saw a thread a long while back where a guy took a flatbed and mounted a slide-in camper on the front of it, then strapped the jeep on the back half of the trailer.
probably be an open trailer set up. something like you mentioned.

Unread 02-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #12
papa355
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thantos858 View Post
Those suck stopping with any large loads. Air brakes are the way to go plus they are easy to adjust and keep in working order. Getting a CDL without air brakes is a waste of time since its a rather easy part of the test if you have half a brain. I have my class A CDL and keep it up to date with everything im supposed to. I can drive anything out there with all but hazmat loads didn't care about getting it at the time.

Dude........... all I asked was if anyone had some pics of haul rigs people have built. In my original post. Btw a jeep is not a heavy load, Hyd brakes are fine.

LOL, I am a Heavy truck and equipment mechanic. (have been for almost 27 yrs now) I know trucks, I know all about cdl's and D.O.T. regulations, it is my job to know. I take my job serious as hell, as a matter of fact. I am proud of you for having a Class A cdl. But trust me, I see plenty of people get them that have no damn business having any license at all, let alone a cdl. (that's all I will say about that).........

Anyway, this thread is not about CDL's..........

Have a great day, bro...

Unread 02-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #13
papa355
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
OK, let's clarify this. One does not need a CDL to operate a rig with full air under 26,000 GVWR.

You are 100% correct........ of course I believe you and I already knew that anyway.

Unread 02-23-2012, 07:23 AM   #14
USMCredneck
1979 CJ5 

Did a little more research and found a picture of one that was sold a few months ago over on pirate. The one I referred to earlier was basically the same thing but on a deck-over, not a lowboy.

Unread 02-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #15
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thantos858 View Post
Ive seen some where its a open car trailer with a camper on them just can't remember where. You can also buy a enclosed car trailer that will fit a CJ just need a smaller set of tires to get it inside unless you have the money to buy a low boy type of trailer
I have seen those also and think there pretty cool, just do a Google image search for camper on a trailer.

My cousin converted a 5th wheel enclosed car hauler to having a living quarters in it and I think after seeing it I would go with the open car trailer idea. It sometimes smells like gas inside it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.