Tow bar info please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Tow bar info please

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 07-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Tow bar info please

I want to flat tow my Wrangler, so I need a tow bar. There are plenty of options out there, but my question is about stowing the tow bar when driving the Jeep. I see tow bars turned upward and somehow secured to the front of the vehicle, which is what I would like to do so that the bar is always with me during a trip. But I'm not finding info on which tow bars are designed to do that, if any are, or if a guy can somehow chain it up.

How do you do that?

bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Flat tow bars either fold flat, or swing up. Tie it off with some rope, or a bungee cord.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

We used to use a strap to hold our towbar up to the grill of our CJ, but that was 15 years ago.

Since then, many states have passed laws outlawing that practice, and you can actually be cited for doing that. I know CA is one of them, but I've heard there are several others as well.

I'll have to look for the info...
Unread 07-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I would probably do it anyway. I am pretty sure I see others doing it, but not recently, or I would be checking it out. I'm sure the penalty wouldn't be a big deal.

I'm more concerned about the thing flopping back and forth and beating up the grill or hood. Seems like there should be a better way, like a pin you can insert below the hinge pin or something like that. I am hoping to get away with a cheap tow bar like from Harbor Freight. But if I have to take it off and store it before hitting the trail, I might want to spend more for something that folds.

Thanks for the comments thus far. Looking for more ideas. Pics would be great too.
Unread 07-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I would buy a better tow bar than is available at HF. My flat tow bar has two bolts and two safety pins to retain the nuts on the bolts. Pull the pins, remove the bolts, and the tow bar lifts off. That takes about 2-3 minutes.

If you really want the bar to remain installed, find a local welder hand have him fabricate and weld to your bumper a bracket to hold the tow bar securely upright. Use a hitch pin to lock the tow bar into place.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
99_TJ_Wyoming
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Imagine your driving along in your Jeep, going to the store or to get some dinner, 35 or 40 mph, not a care in the world, then the tow-bar rope / bungee cord / tie off comes loose and the tow-bar plants itself in the ground and the front of the Jeep is now up in the air, bumper being ripped off as your trying to cope with whats going on. That's why it isn't legal in some places.

I have a few thousand miles on a HF tow-bar, it works perfectly fine, it's a lot thicker steel than some RV shops carry and much much stronger than the fold-away versions, very well constructed, if you feel the need change the hardware with grade 8s.
99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #7
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I guess I will close the loop on this thread. I have used the tow bar a couple of times now, and the Jeep tows beautifully behind my Superduty.

I used the Harbor Freight tow bar. It works just fine. No frills, but it is built solidly. You need to be on reasonably flat level ground to hitch up/off, because the bar has no slide adjustment. But I can do it by myself with minimal fuss.

As for swinging the bar upward, which was my original question, I've settled on simply using a couple of bungee cords. A couple, so if one breaks, I should find it before the thing falls. I needed something to prevent the bar from swinging up and banging on my hood, since I don't currently have a pushbar or winch plate. I drilled and installed a couple of bolts in the bar, put tennis balls over the bolt heads, and then filled the tennis balls with expanding foam. That all works great.

Unread 09-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

End of problem.

[/URL]

The tow bar folds up to the tow vehicle. To worries for the jeep on the trail.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.