TJ Trailer Build for my LJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > TJ Trailer Build for my LJ

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-Load

Unread 09-29-2011, 01:07 PM   #16
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy View Post
Find another tj tub and put the ends together.
That's what I always like seeing, two back halves welded together, the you can tack weld the tailgate shut on the front side.

addicted2dunes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2011, 06:57 AM   #17
vtx531
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Skip the spare tire. You already have one for your Jeep, right? Same bolt pattern as the trailer which is nice. Use that to your advantage. Less weight on the trailer and more payload!

MY JEEP
vtx531 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #18
Lawdodge
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Well almost 8 months later, its time to revive this thread. The trailer had taken a back seat in my back yard since last year as I prepared for a Hemi swap in my LJ. Well the Hemi is done and now back to the trailer build. So today, I dusted off the axle, the brackets, and some other parts and started work.

I decided to use the brackets from the D-35 for the trailer axle. I couldn't see spending $200ish for brackets that were not really gonna take much load. No torque from a motor, no braking, no steering, just some bouncing and maybe 1,500 lbs.

Now no safety speeches about the shorts!

The old brackets went on fairly well with a bit of grinding due to a poor cut job with the torch when I removed them from the old axle.

Got the tires mounted on some matching wheels to what are on the jeep. I went with 15x8's to tuck them in a bit and to keep them seated, no beadlocks for the trailer.

Well after almost 8 months sitting on the ground, its back on its feet with new shoes.

So now the next step, I'm not sure what springs to run. My jeep sits on RE 5.5"ers and had thought about using the 4.5" ones I have laying around. But after setting it back down today with the tires on it, I'm not sure if I really need that much lift. I figure it's not going to articulate too much and I don't really want that much weight that high. I may try the stockers until I get the tub put back on and see if I run into clearance issues with the tires. Maybe just a 1" body lift would be enough.
Mine - 2004 Unlimited Red 5.7L HEMI, NV241 4:1, RE 5.5" Long Arm, 35's on Champion Beadlocks, MetalCloak fenders and front bumper, Hanson rear bumper, 4.88's, ARB's, Alloy 33 spline D44 shafts, HP44 hybrid front w/ WJ outers, D44 rear ... and to much more .
RED JEEP CLUB #436
Lawdodge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2012, 11:13 PM   #19
jeepinjeffrey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good! Great work so far and a 1" BL for a trailer haha havnt seen that before but it should do the job! Good luck!
Unread 06-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #20
Lawdodge
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Well I got a little bit done today, test fit the tub with the 35's and stock suspension. So far I'm not sure I need to lift it at all. Guess I'll know more when I start adding weight.

I then test fit the new front cap and some old BW flairs. I'm thinking its gonna work. Still trying to locate a cheap used pair of rear corner guards and then It'll be time to finish the hitch and look for a front box.

I'm still not too sure how I want to run the fuel line off the pump yet. I'm going to use the factory filler, but where to hide 10' of hose for refueling my ride is another issue. I may end up having to use a quick disconnect and store the hose.
Mine - 2004 Unlimited Red 5.7L HEMI, NV241 4:1, RE 5.5" Long Arm, 35's on Champion Beadlocks, MetalCloak fenders and front bumper, Hanson rear bumper, 4.88's, ARB's, Alloy 33 spline D44 shafts, HP44 hybrid front w/ WJ outers, D44 rear ... and to much more .
RED JEEP CLUB #436
Lawdodge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2012, 11:03 PM   #21
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Looks great, I love the how good the TJ tubs match ! Just finished my trailer build a few weeks ago can't wait to get it off the pavement
Unread 07-01-2012, 04:58 AM   #22
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Looking really good. I like the idea of the fuel storage. Tractor supply sells a good selection of fuel transfer related items. Maybe a fuel nozzle on a hose reel? They also have the quick disconnects I think.

Edit: I forgot to ask why you needed 10' of hose for the fuel transfer? You can jackknife the trailer to close the distance to a few feet. This will save some money (and space in storage) on the hose.

FIX IT TILL it's broke
hesterj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #23
aspjeepguy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

pretty cool build keep the updates coming
B&M Short Throw, Rear Alloy USA Axle Shafts
aspjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #24
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

CJ Trailer

VooDoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.