Tj Trailer 4X6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Tj Trailer 4X6

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
AJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Tj Trailer 4X6

This has been a long time dream of mine, to build a trailer for out on the trail camping. Also want this trailer for getting things, for around the house. Having a Jeep with no trailer makes it hard to get a sheet of plywood, bags of bark, or fence boards. Going camping with my wife, 2 girls and a Jeep, doesnít leave any room for the driver. So itís time to build a trailer.

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
AJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
AJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

After researching on the net and talking to lots of others. I started looking on craigslist for a basic start trailer. Looking doesn’t cost anything. There were trailers that were awesome, but out of my price range, and others that were just crap or more work than it was worth. Until one day by chance, there was a guy who started building a trailer for his motor bike and then stopped. It needs work, a new 3500# axle, hubs 5X4.5”, new leaf springs, the floor is missing, wires/lights, and redesign the trailer tongue. The trailer is 4’X6’ with 21” walls. I really wanted a (4’x5’), but this will work. The frame was made out of 2X2X1/8th” square tubing, and the walls were sheet metal with 1X1 square tubing for wall frame. Made a deal and picked up the project for $150.00. This was cheaper and easier than I could have built it, to this point.

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
Unread 08-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
AJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Since the purchase of this trailer, I replaced the old axle, with a 3500# axle, 61” face to face, and hubs to match the jeeps wheel pattern, 5 on 4.5". Also, it had surface rust from sitting outside, and a wire wheel took quick care of that. New 27” 4 leaf springs, U-bolts, and hangers, have been ordered to mount it all together. The trailer tongue will be changed from an A frame style to a stinger style. This way I can turn a 90, when needed. Also, the original tongue design is welded directly to the outside front of the frame. I want to have the new stinger (3x3x3/16th”) tie into the trailer frame in 2 places. All of this will take some time to get all the pieces together. As the parts come in and money allows, more will happen. I’m hoping to have the trailer finished and painted for under $800.00. So far I’m at $375.00, and doing as much myself as I can to save funds.

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
Unread 08-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
AJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

As far as tires, this trailer will start off with hand me downs (31x10.5’s). As my 33’s wear down and I get 35’s then the trailer will get the old 33’s, although that is way down the road. Wheels will get the same as the Jeep has 15x8 with 3.75 off set, this way they will all match.

I’ll keep posting as things are completed. Also, I’m open to ideas and can make adjustments for better ideas, as needed.

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
Unread 08-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like a fun project! When you get to where you want to paint it, you could get it sand blasted to remove any rust, etc. Nice find!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
AJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
Looks like a fun project! When you get to where you want to paint it, you could get it sand blasted to remove any rust, etc. Nice find!
My dad has a sandbblaster, of course I found that out after it was wire wheeled. Lol. But will definitely use t for the outside and any tight corners that was missed. Thanks, it was exciting to find it. Hopefully it will turn out as nice as many of the others on this forum.

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
Unread 08-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
mowillie

It seems like you got it for a song, but replacing alot parts. Why not just start from scratch? It is so much easier, cleaner, and stronger with new steal. Cutting, grinding, cleaning, and re-welding old steel is a risk. Not saying it cant be done. Very time consuming. If its not cleaned to bare metal you can get impurities in the welds and make them weak.
Building a trailer should not be taken lightly. When you pull something behind you vehicle everyone following is put at risk, if welds begain to fail. Just a thought.
I am not implying that you are not capable of the task, just a side note for other who are considering running out, buying a Harbor Frieght $99.99 crackerbox and building a trailer with little to no welding experience.
mowillie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
AJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowillie View Post
It seems like you got it for a song, but replacing alot parts. Why not just start from scratch? It is so much easier, cleaner, and stronger with new steal. Cutting, grinding, cleaning, and re-welding old steel is a risk. Not saying it cant be done. Very time consuming. If its not cleaned to bare metal you can get impurities in the welds and make them weak.
Building a trailer should not be taken lightly. When you pull something behind you vehicle everyone following is put at risk, if welds begain to fail. Just a thought.
I am not implying that you are not capable of the task, just a side note for other who are considering running out, buying a Harbor Frieght $99.99 crackerbox and building a trailer with little to no welding experience.
A person can buy a trailer out of a box, and it could work out great. Although, that is not the type of trailer I wanted. I need something tougher, and one that can handle getting smashed or dragged over a few rocks. I don't want to worry about bending or braking, the hubs, spindles and such, so those parts are heavy duty and new.
The only reason for rebuilding the trailer tongue is to make it safer and a better turning radius.
I'm learning to weld, but have a very experience welder (20 years) teaching and watching my work. Also, the time I spent with the wire wheel, didn't cost me a thing, just a few beers. I wish I would have used my dads sand blaster, but did not know he had it at the time, LOL. I think he was home laughing at me.

My question is why buy a cheap a** trailer from a box? when you can have or build what you want.

For me it is the experience and satisfaction of saying I did it, and learning along the way.

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
Unread 08-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #9
WahooCreek
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looking forward to seeing your progress. Good luck
WahooCreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #10
AJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. Today I ordered a pare of leaf springs, and a u-bolt kit. Now the axle can be mounted to the trailer.
Those parts should be getting delivered in about a week or so. I'll update as soon as they are installed.

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
Unread 08-29-2013, 06:25 AM   #11
mowillie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJeep View Post
A person can buy a trailer out of a box, and it could work out great. Although, that is not the type of trailer I wanted. I need something tougher, and one that can handle getting smashed or dragged over a few rocks. I don't want to worry about bending or braking, the hubs, spindles and such, so those parts are heavy duty and new.
The only reason for rebuilding the trailer tongue is to make it safer and a better turning radius.
I'm learning to weld, but have a very experience welder (20 years) teaching and watching my work. Also, the time I spent with the wire wheel, didn't cost me a thing, just a few beers. I wish I would have used my dads sand blaster, but did not know he had it at the time, LOL. I think he was home laughing at me.

My question is why buy a cheap a** trailer from a box? when you can have or build what you want.

For me it is the experience and satisfaction of saying I did it, and learning along the way.
I never said anything about a trailer in a box...I was saying with all the work you are doing, why not buy the steel and built it yourself. And you are starting with a pallet built buy another individual. You have no idea what the welding capability of the previous built was....in general, if you pick up a cheap trailer off lets say, Craigslist.
mowillie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #12
AJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowillie View Post

I never said anything about a trailer in a box...I was saying with all the work you are doing, why not buy the steel and built it yourself. And you are starting with a pallet built buy another individual. You have no idea what the welding capability of the previous built was....in general, if you pick up a cheap trailer off lets say, Craigslist.
I get what you are saying. Its a chance I'm willing to take.

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
Unread 09-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #13
AJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Got in the springs and mounting kit in last week and did a rough bolt in tonight to see how it will look.

Would have done it sooner but took the family camping this last weekend. A buddy of mine let me barrow his military trailer. Using his trailer for dimensions. The jeep pulled it great. The new gears are paying off. Woo hoo!!!!!

This trip has put a fire under my butt to get it together. Just need more funds, LOL.

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
Unread 09-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #14
AJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Was able to take the time to mock up with the springs and axle.

I have made up my mind that I will be getting some new spring hangers. Using the Military trail as a guide for dimensions, I want to move the axle forward about 2". This way it will trail approx. the same way the other trailer did. My buddies trailer was violated with a tape measure for about an hour, so I could take as many notes as possible.

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #15
AJeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well today was awesome, my buddy was generous enough to let me barrow a small welder. It is great for sheet metal work.
Yesterday was able to sand the trailer down so i could look for surface rust. In the areas I found it I sanded down to metal cleaned it up. Other parts of the trailer I made it through the 3 layers of paint until the last layer was transparent enough to see what I was dealing with. Surprisingly, not a lot of surface rust. So went on to welding up all the lil holes that was drilled into the sides for what ever reason.

So after filling almost 60 small holes and setting a couple of things on fire. I found pin holes in about 15 of welds. So I went back and welded over those again. Not bad for a rookie, at least thats what i thought.

Did some basic body work, and then covered the spotted cow look with one solid color. Here are some pics with where I am at now.

Looking at some new square fenders. Gona save up a few more monies. Then I can move forward.

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.