TJ Toter - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > TJ Toter

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 09-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #46
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Really? I don't recall it. Maybe you can link a post and we can see just how bad it was. In the meantime, if you would be starting a long, involved project, investing thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours, with a rig that would be transporting your family and possibly over long distances, and you would choose a 7.3 International dead U Haul, then I doubt I'd be paying much attention to you either.

Look, let's be honest here. That old U Haul is probably the worst box truck a person could find with a license plate on it. I said I liked what he did. How can anyone want more than that?

Maybe someone could post a worse box truck to use as a starting point for a nice project like this? I have an open mind. Link to something that is worse than a dead U Haul 7.3? Let's see if it is out there?
Getting back on topic, I am seriously asking if there would be a worse truck to start with for a project of this magnitude? If so, please post a serious response instead of personal attacks. I know that the OP likes his U Haul. No way around that. He's entitled to like it. But everyone knows it is the truck of last resort. The end of the line.

My point was and is that if some other person (not the OP) is going to follow this path, at least they can start out with a modern truck with a good motor and equipment. Not a POS. Its just that simple.

Unread 09-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #47
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You just can't get it in your head that your opinion is not fact, can you? So instead you are just going to continue to troll this thread even after being told to leave and that you are not wanted until a mod comes in here and locks what is already turning into a nice build. Congratulations, you are "that guy".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #48
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Wilson1010, you went on about your unimog towing some back hoe. It is easy to see the stupid stuff you say just search this section or probably any other for your posts. You will find them.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #49
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Wilson1010, you went on about your unimog towing some back hoe. It is easy to see the stupid stuff you say just search this section or probably any other for your posts. You will find them.
Oh, I doubt that. I don't have a back hoe and I don't tow anything with my Unimog. I do have a Volvo FE flatbed tow rig that would carry a backhoe and the Unimog. So, try again.

Instead of a personal attack which seems to be your only speed, how about posting some trucks that would be worse than the OP's dead U Haul.
Unread 09-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #50
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
oh, i doubt that. I don't have a back hoe and i don't tow anything with my unimog. I do have a volvo fe flatbed tow rig that would carry a backhoe and the unimog. So, try again.

Instead of a personal attack which seems to be your only speed, how about posting some trucks that would be worse than the op's dead u haul.
ok.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #51
j_bydesign

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Not to beat the dead horse...

International built tons of these... box trucks, school buses and even the lowly rental vans... but the fact is a ton of them are still rolling strong... and I have NOT dumped a ton of money into this project, in fact I should have somewhere in the neighborhood of $6K- $7K into it including the cost of the truck.

I looked at other platforms including larger box trucks (deck heights were way to high) and most come with disposable Cats or Cummings anyway... even looked at Cass 8 trucks (dropping one of the rear axles extending the frames and then adding a 20' box) stupid amount of $...

The Uhaul has been nothing but reliable, dependable and even fun to work on...

so while there may be other truck to convert... I have choosen this one and I must say all in all I am happy with it!

'04 TJ... '65 CJ5(sold :( )... 89' Int. Harvester Toter!
j_bydesign is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #52
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_bydesign View Post
Not to beat the dead horse...

International built tons of these... box trucks, school buses and even the lowly rental vans... but the fact is a ton of them are still rolling strong... and I have NOT dumped a ton of money into this project, in fact I should have somewhere in the neighborhood of $6K- $7K into it including the cost of the truck.

I looked at other platforms including larger box trucks (deck heights were way to high) and most come with disposable Cats or Cummings anyway... even looked at Cass 8 trucks (dropping one of the rear axles extending the frames and then adding a 20' box) stupid amount of $...

The Uhaul has been nothing but reliable, dependable and even fun to work on...

so while there may be other truck to convert... I have choosen this one and I must say all in all I am happy with it!
Well, thank you. This is the first responsible post on this topic since I posted my first comment a month and a half ago. While I disagree with your choice and would be very happy to recommend the so called "disposable" Cats and Cummins, or even post some alternatives, I understand your choices and, as I said back in July:
Quote:
I am sure the OP had his reasons . .
Unread 09-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #53
IEcrawlerTJ01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

He won't be in this thread much longer

Nuff said...[/CENTER]
IEcrawlerTJ01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #54
99_TJ_Wyoming
Web Wheeler
1999 TJ Wrangler 

He had his reasons, and it's looking better all the time. It wasn't "a choice of last resort" for him, it was a chosen option. Wilson, not only do you seem to have trouble understanding that your wrong in your assertions, but your opinion only matters in that your making me want to buy a u-haul and start my own build thread and name it "Wilson's unbuild". And a volvo? seriously? and you have which one in your volvo? cat? cummins? and where in your isuzu, er, excuse me, volvo do you sleep? what size is the fridge, sink and amenities in your isuzu, ****, sorry, volvo?

I love the toterhome build, I think it's awesome and I get anxious waiting for the updates, I can't wait to see it all finished and done, I would love to do this myself but around here you can't find the u-haul trucks for anything like the price the OP paid. Awesome job and keep the updates coming.
99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #55
j_bydesign

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_TJ_Wyoming View Post
He had his reasons, and it's looking better all the time. It wasn't "a choice of last resort" for him, it was a chosen option. Wilson, not only do you seem to have trouble understanding that your wrong in your assertions, but your opinion only matters in that your making me want to buy a u-haul and start my own build thread and name it "Wilson's unbuild". And a volvo? seriously? and you have which one in your volvo? cat? cummins? and where in your isuzu, er, excuse me, volvo do you sleep? what size is the fridge, sink and amenities in your isuzu, ****, sorry, volvo?

I love the toterhome build, I think it's awesome and I get anxious waiting for the updates, I can't wait to see it all finished and done, I would love to do this myself but around here you can't find the u-haul trucks for anything like the price the OP paid. Awesome job and keep the updates coming.
Will do... Got some things around the house... And had to put a new fan clutch, tensioner... And idler pulley in the TJ... Way to much fun this weekend!

Also blew out the low oil sensor in my generator... So there is some work to be done...

But I got a new water tank for the toter... So the fun will continue

Thanks or the support

Unread 09-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #56
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Wow! What a bunch of crybabies.

I never saw so much angst over a criticism of a junk U Haul. You'd think i called someone's daughter a skank. I give the OP credit for his reasons and complimented his creativity. So does a person have to accept that a junker truck makes this a better project? If the goal is the cheapest Toter, I guess he wins. I was just pointing out that for about $8000 one could actually have a nice truck. So he didn't want one or couldn't find one. So what? The dead U Haul is still the absolute bottom of the barrel. If he likes it good for him, but there is a reaosn it was selling for $1000 or whatnot. And, the reason is that nobody wants one of those. Sorry for pointing out the obvious.
Unread 09-05-2013, 06:32 AM   #57
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

That's enough guys and gals - let's keep it on topic and drop the personal attacks.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #58
j_bydesign

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
That's enough guys and gals - let's keep it on topic and drop the personal attacks.
Thank you

Unread 09-07-2013, 06:14 AM   #59
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Once again, my compliments to the OP for his creativity and workmanship. A great exercise.

As an example only of what is out there to avoid the use of an obsolete junker truck, I wanted to post an example lest guys dreaming of their own toter project not start out with a dead rig like an International 7.3 non turbo U Haul.

Again only by example, this Isuzu has an asking price of $13,000, but the owner will take $9000. I have seen them regularly in the $6000 range (not with 94,000 miles on the clock like this one, but in great shape).

Here is what I would recommend to make the OP's project just perfect. This rig is a 2002 with 94000 on it, it said to be in great shape and recently serviced with new injectors. It will be a Duramax motor and Allison 6 speed automatic. It will have full air brakes and power everything. I have driven the Isuzu FTR and it is like sitting in the living room. A very quiet rig. And, here it is with a low deck height as well:

Unread 09-07-2013, 08:21 AM   #60
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Dang, Wilson - you sure do know how to spoil a thread.

We all get it - you don't like the truck that J_ByDesign chose. Can't you just give it a rest? This is his build thread, and you've all but derailed it.

There's a line between adding to the conversation and beating a dead horse... You've made your point, others have disagreed. Time to move on.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.