TJ Toter - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > TJ Toter

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #31
Finallyajeep
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hows it coming?

FOR SALE PM me if interested!
C-rok outer steering box brace new, never installed. Also have an XJ trailer hitch for sale, needs some paint, but thats about it.
Finallyajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #32
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I hate to be the one to say it, but this project would be a whole lot better if it had not started with a POS International S1600, 7.3 manual. I wouldn't want to drive that rig across town much less across the county. This is a good lesson. A few bucks saved up front and you are stuck with something that can't be changed. Think what a great rig this would be if you had started with a Freightliner (or equivalent) box with a Caterpillar motor and an Allison automatic or 6 speed mannual, cruise and a/c, etc. Maybe with full air brakes too. It might have run you another $3000 all other things being equal.

I admire what you did with it. You are a creative and industrious builder. Kudos! Kudos!

But, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. And that dead U-Haul is a sow's ear. Sorry, someone had to say it.
Unread 07-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #33
99_TJ_Wyoming
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I hate to be the one to say it, but this project would be a whole lot better if it had not started with a POS International S1600, 7.3 manual. I wouldn't want to drive that rig across town much less across the county. This is a good lesson. A few bucks saved up front and you are stuck with something that can't be changed. Think what a great rig this would be if you had started with a Freightliner (or equivalent) box with a Caterpillar motor and an Allison automatic or 6 speed mannual, cruise and a/c, etc. Maybe with full air brakes too. It might have run you another $3000 all other things being equal.

I admire what you did with it. You are a creative and industrious builder. Kudos! Kudos!

But, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. And that dead U-Haul is a sow's ear. Sorry, someone had to say it.
LMAO WOW ! ! What a crappy thing to post! Good thing you don't have to drive it, and being that you don't have to drive it, you don't have to say it.

I like it, and the point sometimes is taking something others may not see as much value in and making it amazing, he's well on the way.

LOL, all the "kudos", what a guy.
99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 05:06 AM   #34
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_TJ_Wyoming View Post
LMAO WOW ! ! What a crappy thing to post! Good thing you don't have to drive it, and being that you don't have to drive it, you don't have to say it.

I like it, and the point sometimes is taking something others may not see as much value in and making it amazing, he's well on the way.

LOL, all the "kudos", what a guy.
Well, we post here not only to have people tell us how wonderful we are and how great our project turned out but also to get ideas and give ideas. Its really good information for guys to know that they don't have to start with a POS to make a toter. I am sure the OP had his reasons, but I've driven that U-Haul configuration and its best moment is standing still. The non-turbo IH 7.3 is a lumbering boat anchor with a whole set of its own problems. Even my pre-90's Ford pickup that had that same IH motor and 1/3rd the weight would not get out of its own way. Does it have a/c cruise, and air brakes? These 250K plus decommissioned box trucks carry very modest price tags, even when well equipped. Look for yourself.

So, sorry if I offend anyone with this information, but, hopefully, others following the excellent work by the OP will not use the same starting point.
Unread 09-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #35
j_bydesign

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

We are all entitled to our own opinions... and like ^ss holes no one ever thinks their stinks...

The reason I went with the international... nice low deck height, the 7.3 had been replaced less than 25K miles before Uhaul took it out of service, and it does have AC... as for similar Cat or Cummings straight truck... anything close was more than $10K

So... after running her for a couple of weekend trips... I could not be happier... cruises fine at highway speeds and plenty of room for what I am using it for...

'04 TJ... '65 CJ5(sold :( )... 89' Int. Harvester Toter!
j_bydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #36
j_bydesign

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Here is the updated work...

Galley is in...

back up camera and rear floods...

and here is what we called home over the long weekend...

Lazy Springs park...

WWW.lazysprings.com

Unread 09-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #37
j_bydesign

2004 TJ Wrangler 

installed diamond plate treads to aid in getting in and out...

and AC over the entry from the garage...

Perhaps thsoe who are jumping in late in the build did not understand the basic idea... I do not want to sleep in a tent on the ground, I want AC and basic living... I am not running cross country... just banging around the state... otherwise I would have buoght a Class A diesel pusher... (which would get trashed at the first Mudfest) I wanted to be able to romp on my ride without having to beg for trailer space... if / when I broke something...

Unread 09-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #38
j_bydesign

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, we post here not only to have people tell us how wonderful we are and how great our project turned out but also to get ideas and give ideas. Its really good information for guys to know that they don't have to start with a POS to make a toter. I am sure the OP had his reasons, but I've driven that U-Haul configuration and its best moment is standing still. The non-turbo IH 7.3 is a lumbering boat anchor with a whole set of its own problems. Even my pre-90's Ford pickup that had that same IH motor and 1/3rd the weight would not get out of its own way. Does it have a/c cruise, and air brakes? These 250K plus decommissioned box trucks carry very modest price tags, even when well equipped. Look for yourself.

So, sorry if I offend anyone with this information, but, hopefully, others following the excellent work by the OP will not use the same starting point.
and you are driving an XJ... ?

Unread 09-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #39
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_bydesign View Post
and you are driving an XJ... ?
I am sorry if I hurt your feelings.

I was hoping that some other guys would have a look at the other choices for a starting point other than that POS boat anchor you chose. I have driven that International several times and have owned the 7.3 non turbo diesel and you are just BS'ing to try to pretty face on that rig. Its rolling junk. If you like it, then you can't care a bit about your trip to the campgrounds. Put it on cement blocks and it will be perfect.

You did a nice job with the interior decorating part of the job, but, you need to just admit that it would be a whole different experience to have all that decor on a decent truck.
Unread 09-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #40
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I was hoping that some other guys would have a look at the other choices for a starting point other than that POS boat anchor you chose. I have driven that International several times and have owned the 7.3 non turbo diesel and you are just BS'ing to try to pretty face on that rig. Its rolling junk. If you like it, then you can't care a bit about your trip to the campgrounds. Put it on cement blocks and it will be perfect.

You did a nice job with the interior decorating part of the job, but, you need to just admit that it would be a whole different experience to have all that decor on a decent truck.
You sir are an *******. He likes the truck. GTFO of the thread and take your opinions with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #41
j_bydesign

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones26573 View Post
You sir are an *******. He likes the truck. GTFO of the thread and take your opinions with you.
Thank you.., he just does not get it!

I have driven tons of highway rigs... Class 8 ... And many other straight trucks... I really do not feel it handles poorly... Good tires,brakes and suspension...lost the bench seat added air rides up front... Again it works for me! I am also not towing a huge trailer or loading it down so if you want to get 10-12 MPG and have a simple straight forward diesel truck... if you check them out thoroughly... a retired rental may not be a bad choice...

Unread 09-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #42
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I remember some advice you gave on towing a while back. I wouldn't trust you if you told me the sky were blue or water was wet.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #43
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I remember some advice you gave on towing a while back. I wouldn't trust you if you told me the sky were blue or water was wet.
Really? I don't recall it. Maybe you can link a post and we can see just how bad it was. In the meantime, if you would be starting a long, involved project, investing thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours, with a rig that would be transporting your family and possibly over long distances, and you would choose a 7.3 International dead U Haul, then I doubt I'd be paying much attention to you either.

Look, let's be honest here. That old U Haul is probably the worst box truck a person could find with a license plate on it. I said I liked what he did. How can anyone want more than that?

Maybe someone could post a worse box truck to use as a starting point for a nice project like this? I have an open mind. Link to something that is worse than a dead U Haul 7.3? Let's see if it is out there?
Unread 09-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #44
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Really? I don't recall it. Maybe you can link a post and we can see just how bad it was. In the meantime, if you would be starting a long, involved project, investing thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours, with a rig that would be transporting your family and possibly over long distances, and you would choose a 7.3 International dead U Haul, then I doubt I'd be paying much attention to you either.

Look, let's be honest here. That old U Haul is probably the worst truck a person could find with a license plate on it. I said I liked what he did. How can anyone want more than that?
I guess you don't know what GTFO means. Maybe you should Google it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #45
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Look, let's be honest here. That old U Haul is probably the worst box truck a person could find with a license plate on it. I said I liked what he did. How can anyone want more than that?

Maybe someone could post a worse box truck to use as a starting point for a nice project like this? I have an open mind. Link to something that is worse than a dead U Haul 7.3? Let's see if it is out there?
You didn't understand how bad the advice was.
It got him where he wanted to go.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.