Tj pulling a pop up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Tj pulling a pop up

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-06-2012, 11:46 PM   #1
treygan
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Tj pulling a pop up

Have a tj with a 350 sbc in it. And I have no doubt I could pull my camper, but I don't know if it is rated for it and/or if it would be safe. Anybody ever done it? It's not huge. It's like 12 feet long when it's down and I think it's right around 2000 pounds.

treygan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
Indy

Max on a tj is 2k i believe. I used to tow around 2k with my yj. It sucked on anything besides flats, tried to put you in the ditch pretty rgularly. Aything downhill the trailer pushed the jeep around quite a bit. Make sure the brakes on te trailer work well.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
treygan
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy
Max on a tj is 2k i believe. I used to tow around 2k with my yj. It sucked on anything besides flats, tried to put you in the ditch pretty rgularly. Aything downhill the trailer pushed the jeep around quite a bit. Make sure the brakes on te trailer work well.
Ok. Thanks. I guess I'll have to look into trailer brake controller for the jeep. Do you know if they make any plug and play kits for a tj?
Unread 12-09-2012, 07:57 AM   #4
Indy

Doubtful, its not really a tow rig.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by treygan View Post
Ok. Thanks. I guess I'll have to look into trailer brake controller for the jeep. Do you know if they make any plug and play kits for a tj?
I have looked and never found a plug and play with brakes for the TJ. I pulled 3500lbs about 1800 miles with my TJ. The brakes sucked so did the steering. I would never recommend it but I think you would be ok with 2k. The TJ is not the best choice in tow vehicles but if you are only 2k I wouldn't stress it. If you are mostly level ground I would stress about the brakes but be careful.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
jeepngolf
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have pulled a very small Coleman Taos popup with my YJ for a couple of years. The Taos is very light at only about 1600 lbs. I added a brake controller and all the required wiring for the full 7 pin RV plug. The 4.0 liter did a descent job, but as another poster said make sure that the trailer brakes are working well and don't speed.
I purchased all the wiring stuff from etrailer.com
jeepngolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
treygan
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepngolf
I have pulled a very small Coleman Taos popup with my YJ for a couple of years. The Taos is very light at only about 1600 lbs. I added a brake controller and all the required wiring for the full 7 pin RV plug. The 4.0 liter did a descent job, but as another poster said make sure that the trailer brakes are working well and don't speed.
I purchased all the wiring stuff from etrailer.com
I honestly don't know if it even has trailer brakes. It was given to me by my dad and I haven't pulled it in a while and I never had a brake controller on my truck when I pulled it.
Unread 12-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Mopar sells a 7way wiring harness for an LJ that fits a TJ (I recently installed one).

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
Nez
2000 TJ Wrangler 

TCW (towing capacity weight) found inside door jams (I believe the acronym is right)
Nez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #10
ssquier92
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I tow my fleetwood popup around behind my TJ.. its about 2300lb dry. Now that I am regeared its fine, before it was a little rough in the hills with 3.73s. I have no issue with sway or anything like that though and have towed it thousands of miles. I still haven't gotten around to doing a brake controller though, it is definitely necessary IMO, I just haven't done it.

2002 TJ 3.25" RC lift, 1.25 BL, MML, 33X12.50 Goodyear MTR w/ Kevlar, adjustable front trac bar, cut stock bumper, poison hood louver, B&M short shifter, chromoly rear axle shafts in the d44 4.88s Grizzly locker, Aussie locker up front in d30,10,500lb winch w/ synthetic rope, antirock, jcr sliders, savvy arms

Work harder, thousands of people on welfare are counting on you.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ssquier92s-02-tj-build-thread-1142141/index4.html"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ssquier92s-02-tj-build-thread-1142141/index4.html[/URL]
ssquier92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.