Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) for trailer - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-02-2015, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) for trailer

Anyone using one?
What kind and how do you like it?
The ones I am seeing monitor the tire pressure and the temp.
I would think something like this could really save you a lot of problems.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list. www.mijc.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-03-2015, 06:05 AM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Waste of time and money. And, reliance on goofy aftermarket gadgets is what will lead to trouble.

Don't overload your trailer, fit the proper tires, walk around your rig every time you embark, and get a $.98 tire gauge to get the exact number whenever you suspect a need for more or less pressure. Carry an OBA setup of some type and a good trailer spare.

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)
post #3 of 9 Old 10-03-2015, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am not sure I agree Wilson.
The reason I say this is many times a trailer tire will blow even though it is at the right pressure and still looks good.
I have had a few issues that a TPMS may have had helped avoid.
The first one was pulling out of a gas station. I must have rubbed up against the island on the way out. It broke the valve stem. I did not realize it until I was back on the highway. I had to change a tire on a 3 lane highway and it ruined the tire.
The last one was the brake lining came off of the brake shoe. It was shock loading the wheel. It ended up shearing the studs and the tire and rim took off across the road. It was a two lane road and I am lucky it did not hit another vehicle. It ruined the hub and rim.
Now before you say that is just basic maintenance, I maintain my trailer. The bearings get packed every year at least. Matter of fact I had just packed my bearings for that trip. There was no sign that the lining was coming off.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list. www.mijc.org
post #4 of 9 Old 10-04-2015, 07:04 AM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Waste of time and money. And, reliance on goofy aftermarket gadgets is what will lead to trouble.

Don't overload your trailer, fit the proper tires, walk around your rig every time you embark, and get a $.98 tire gauge to get the exact number whenever you suspect a need for more or less pressure. Carry an OBA setup of some type and a good trailer spare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
I am not sure I agree Wilson.
The reason I say this is many times a trailer tire will blow even though it is at the right pressure and still looks good.
I have had a few issues that a TPMS may have had helped avoid.
The first one was pulling out of a gas station. I must have rubbed up against the island on the way out. It broke the valve stem. I did not realize it until I was back on the highway. I had to change a tire on a 3 lane highway and it ruined the tire.
The last one was the brake lining came off of the brake shoe. It was shock loading the wheel. It ended up shearing the studs and the tire and rim took off across the road. It was a two lane road and I am lucky it did not hit another vehicle. It ruined the hub and rim.
Now before you say that is just basic maintenance, I maintain my trailer. The bearings get packed every year at least. Matter of fact I had just packed my bearings for that trip. There was no sign that the lining was coming off.
How could it hurt to do both? Only in the wallet I suppose. So, if the OP can overcome human nature, good for him. My expectation, however, is that this gadget will do to the tire gauge what the idiot lights did to the dip stick.

post #5 of 9 Old 10-04-2015, 09:54 AM
MPond
2006 LJ Wrangler 

A good TPMS is worth it's weight In gold. I use one in my RV that tells me the tire pressure and temps, and here's the perfect example why:

Last April my 10-year-old TPMS system failed in the middle of a trip to Moab, so I went back to checking the tire pressure manually each morning. I had a set of 6 new tires on the bus that were less than 6 months old, so I wasn't too concerned, but I am diligent about checking the rig out every morning before we roll out.

On the way back to California, I had a valve stem fail on my driver-side inner dual. Without the TPMS system, I didn't know it was going down until it was too late. The blowout and roadside repair cost me more than the new TPMS system that replaced the old one.

If the TPMS system had been functioning that day, I'd have receiver a low pressure warning before it blew out, and could have stopped, avoided the roadside repair costs, and possibly saved the tire. Instead, I sat on the side of the road for 5 hours in St. George, Utah waiting for the truck tire service.

2006 Black Unlimited 6-speed, Rubicon Express 5.5" Long Arm Kit
post #6 of 9 Old 10-05-2015, 05:56 AM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I suppose I'll have to re-think it if Pond swears by it.

post #7 of 9 Old 10-05-2015, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

What kind are you using Pond?

post #8 of 9 Old 10-05-2015, 12:35 PM
MPond
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I suppose I'll have to re-think it if Pond swears by it.
LOL - I'm not usually one for "gadgets" in my cars, but now that TPMS is required on all new cars sold in the US, you've got to think they're onto something...

For me it's the peace-of-mind factor when you've been on the road for 4-5 hours - just glance down and you can see that all the tires are properly inflates, good temps, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
What kind are you using Pond?
I did a bunch of research earlier this year when I replaced mine, and I decided to go with the TST 507 system:
http://tsttruck.com/product/507-starter-system-kit/

2006 Black Unlimited 6-speed, Rubicon Express 5.5" Long Arm Kit
post #9 of 9 Old 10-05-2015, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.