Thinking long term... Good vehicle setup to trailer the heep? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Thinking long term... Good vehicle setup to trailer the heep?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #31
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJ View Post
I'm stunned.... as I eat my words. But maybe all are outrageously priced?
Agree, turbo version is far superior! How many of those 35 are turboed... did you notice?
Well, its all of them. Now 37. And, I only captured the post 1989 diesels using 7.3 in the text of the ads. So there might be a couple more.

What is outrageously priced are Dodge/Cummins trucks. Great truck, big price tag. But, you have yours.

Unread 09-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #32
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I did not get a price range that the OP was working with. If mentioned elsewhere in the thread, I apologize.

He did say inexpensive, reliable, and easy to work on. I am surprised no one has mentioned a 90's Ford gasser. I also looked for a 7.3 Powerstroke for a long time, but they were all way overpriced, IMO.
I stumbled across this 94 F250 XLT 4x4 almost 5 years ago. It was in near perfect condition, original owner, 5 speed manual, 200k miles, and a new 460 just installed. Everything still works, power windows, mirrors, cold AC, etc. It's the tow rig for anytime the motorhome is not needed. I paid $4800 cash for it. No payments. Yep, gas mileage sucks, but it tows like a mofo. At less than half the cost of a Powerstroke in worse condition, I can buy a lot of gas with what I saved. In 5 years I've replaced a water pump, and a starter....although changing a WP on a 460 required a little work to remove all the stuff in front of it. Still pretty easy.

It also matched the color of my old boat of the same year too.
Just a suggestion if it is not going to be a daily driver.

TJDaveX is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #33
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I think you are right given the OP's parameters, to suggest a 90's gasser. The 460 has a lot of satisfied users. I never had one, but did have 5.4 gassers which suck for towing. My old 6 cylinder F250 towed better than my 5.4. But, a 460 Ford or a 454 Chevy, like my K2500 Suburban is an economical choice. Its just that we all know that a really nice towing experience if not achieved with a gasser. But, give the OP's desire for cheap it makes sense.
Unread 09-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #34
smccollamjr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've heard the Ford V10 is a good motor as well.
SOLD-'96 XJ, Build Thread: http://www.jeepinwv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6523
smccollamjr is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #35
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

i tow with a 2000 F350 with the 7.3.

mainly due to cost. the ford diesels are much cheaper to buy than either dodge or GM stuff. My first choice was a Cummins. don't care for the rest of the truck around it, but the Cummins engine is IMO the best of the big 3 diesels. Second is a D-max. i am a GM guy through and through but they hold their value well and i could not touch one for what i was willing to spend. the ford was my last choice, and i bought it based solely on price.

Given that i own one, i doubt i would buy another one. the 7.3 is a very quirky engine. lots of little issues. HPOP oil leaks, turbo oil leaks, failing cam sensors, bad anti drainback valves, and many other small issues. none of which are huge problems but all get very old very quickly. and they are not the easiest engines to work on either. a Cummins wins that hands down in the diesel arena. the 7.3 is not a bad engine at all, but there are for sure better ones out there.

and for towing a jeep, i would not overlook a gasser. GM guy again, i would look at 2003+ GM trucks. the gas version can be had reasonable, you won't find a much more reliable engine than the LS series (4.8, 5.3, 6.0, 6.2 in newer trucks) easy to work on, parts are everywhere for them and even the little 5.3 in my old 1/2 ton chevy towed my ZJ extremely well.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.