Tekonsha Prodigy Install help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Tekonsha Prodigy Install help

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 03-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
TheGillz
2008 JK Wrangler 

Tekonsha Prodigy Install help

Ok, worked I won't tell you how many hours wiring in a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller EXACTLY like the manual said. Got a matching blue wire to run back to the trailer plug, used butt connectors to attach the wire to the brake switch. and ran the ground strait to the battery (-) as suggested, and also ran the power straight to the battery via a newly aquired 20A resetting breaker as suggested.

Ok anyone guess the problem yet?

anyone? Spoiler alert!

The power is always on!

So where in the heck do I have to wire 12ga wire through the ignition and then on to my breaker and then to the battery??? I don't get it.
When I have installed stereo's there is the wire to the ignition and the one to the battery, I guess I assumed the wire to the break switch is the equivalent, but no.

Help.

0lllllll0¬
.....|¯/¯¯¯\¯\_|__|¯¯ºŒ---------¬<=##=>
.....¯ (o)_)-)_)........…(o)_)÷)_(o)_)÷)_)
TheGillz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
TheGillz
2008 JK Wrangler 

OK, false alarm. The contoller seems to go off on a timer. So when I entered the Jeep the next time, it was off untill I pressed the brake. We are all good and it works famously!!! So excited leaving for southern UT this friday!!
0lllllll0¬
.....|¯/¯¯¯\¯\_|__|¯¯ºŒ---------¬<=##=>
.....¯ (o)_)-)_)........…(o)_)÷)_(o)_)÷)_)
TheGillz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Okay - I realize this thread is ancient:

But - I've been doing some researching on brake controllers and this was exactly one of my questions. I'm looking at potentially getting a Tekonsha Primus IQ to wire into my 4.7 WK with Class IV tow package. I've tracked down the wiring procedure and which wires to splice into but when it comes to the power being run to the battery with a 20A breaker I wondered the same thing - wouldn't it always be powered on?

So - do most Tekonsha brake controllers have a timer that auto powers down?

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
ctorj
1977 CJ7 

They have Sensors in them for movement. So when they do not sense any movement (or brakes pushed) they will turn off. However if you only have 1 battery and it is windy one night expect a dead battery in the morning. I've learned this the hard way. They may of fixed this issue in the new ones.
ctorj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
Indy

Put a switch inline, solved.
Unread 10-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Put a switch inline, solved.
^^^ This was what I figured the solution was if they don't power down. Either that or just unplug the unit.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I run one in my Dodge. The unit turns on when I hit the brake the first time. It stays on all the time when the vehicle is started, and turns off w/ a timer when the truck is off. I've never had my p3 controller turn of due to anything other than pressing the brake. Even if I start the truck, it doesn't power the controller on until I press the brakes.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.