Suspension Airbags or Weight Distributing Hitch? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Suspension Airbags or Weight Distributing Hitch?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Reply
Unread 07-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #31
MPond
Web Wheeler
 
MPond's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Cute.

When this came up last time, I counted the trailers in the parking lot at Haspin Acres, Laurel Indiana where there were easily 50 trailers in the parking lot and found all of ONE WDH and it was on an old Airstream some guys were camping in.

So whether you are right or wrong, no one much in the off roading community in the midwest agrees with you. And that guy from Louisville, if he wheels at Harlan or Big Rock would know that.
I see people all the time with unsafe rigs; that doesn't make them right.

Your point that it can be done (and many do so) with a light-duty truck, a flatbed trailer and a jeep is correct - it can be done. But that's not the point of this discussion. The point is that a WDH improves rear-end sag and steering response, both while towing normally and during hard/emergency braking.

And your constant arguing that WDH is worthless is laughable - in this thread you call it "bunk" and in another thread you called them "junk that should be thrown in the scrap pile". But by your own admission, they work on RVs that cannot be balanced by moving a Jeep backward or forward. So I guess they're not "bunk" after all... And let's not forget about guys who have other cargo on their flatbed trailer with the Jeep, which cannot be moved forward or backward.

When you put all of your statements about WDHs together they're full of holes and you contradict yourself quite often.

__________________
2006 Black Unlimited 6-speed, Rubicon Express 4.5" Long Arm Kit
MPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #32
little_Jeep
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 5,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Cute.

When this came up last time, I counted the trailers in the parking lot at Haspin Acres, Laurel Indiana where there were easily 50 trailers in the parking lot and found all of ONE WDH and it was on an old Airstream some guys were camping in.

So whether you are right or wrong, no one much in the off roading community in the midwest agrees with you. And that guy from Louisville, if he wheels at Harlan or Big Rock would know that.
OMG, You use Haspin Acres of all places to base your judgement..... I have never been to an offroad park so full of rednecks and drunks as when I visited Haspin Acres. Maybe I visited on a bad day, and maybe what I saw was not typical, but I'll never know because I don't plan to return to Haspin Acres ever again. Big Rock, been there, done that, not much there. Harlan is sweet..... If a guy has a 2500 Cummins, he probably doesn't need a WDH. However, if a guy is using something smaller than a 3/4 ton truck and is pulling 5k or more, a WDH is worth it's weight in gold as far as I'm concerned. There are a boat load of companies selling WDH. Most trailer repair places probably sell a crap load of these devices... Why? Because they work.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #33
Ross
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: BUM****, MO
Posts: 10,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I think WDH is a bunch of bunk. Seriously. You are working with what, 450 lb of tongue weight. And, it is levered a couple of feet against a 15 footlong chassis? Did anyone study physics in high school? If those gizmos could apply 100 pounds Of force to the front suspension I'd be shocked.
You have never used one have you?
__________________
Schitzangiggles: We used to teach our children to fight evil, now we teach them that fighting is evil.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #34
wilson1010
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
You have never used one have you?
Where would I put the dinky little gadget on my rig?

__________________
03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406
wilson1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #35
Ross
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: BUM****, MO
Posts: 10,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Where would I put the dinky little gadget on my rig?

So the answer is no, you have never used one.
__________________
Schitzangiggles: We used to teach our children to fight evil, now we teach them that fighting is evil.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #36
wilson1010
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
So the answer is no, you have never used one.
Actually, the answer is it is none of your business nor is it relevant to the discussion. Persons like yourself who attempt to personalize technical discussion are just pathetic. Get lost.
__________________
03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406
wilson1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #37
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler
 
WhiteOut's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,992
I went and looked, thinking he was about 17-30 at the most.

Lol at this.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #38
MPond
Web Wheeler
 
MPond's Avatar
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Actually, the answer is it is none of your business nor is it relevant to the discussion. Persons like yourself who attempt to personalize technical discussion are just pathetic. Get lost.
Ross - I'm not surprised by Wilson's response at all. When he can't respond with facts (because they don't serve his purpose) then he responds with irrational comments like the ones above.

His experience (or lack of experience) with WDH is entirely relevant to the discussion. I'd bet he doesn't have any experience with them, otherwise he would have just said 'yes', instead of making disparaging remarks at you for asking.

It's really too bad because if he had the opportunity to see the difference a good WDH can make, I think his opinion would be entirely different.

Wilson - a Jeep on a trailer will have an very different effect on a light-duty pickup then it has on a truck like yours (in the photo above) or on my bus. But you already know that. Your truck has no relevance to this discussion - the OP asked about WDH for his 1/2 ton pickup. So you can make yourself feel better by calling a WDH a "dinky little gadget" compared to your truck, but that's just another meaningless comment that only serves to show that you have nothing of value to add to the discussion.
__________________
2006 Black Unlimited 6-speed, Rubicon Express 4.5" Long Arm Kit
MPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #39
Ross
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: BUM****, MO
Posts: 10,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Actually, the answer is it is none of your business nor is it relevant to the discussion. Persons like yourself who attempt to personalize technical discussion are just pathetic. Get lost.
You posted in a public forum. It is everybody’s business who reads it and wants to make it their business. You put it out there and now that you have been proven to have no idea what you are talking you want to talk it back. That’s not how it works.
__________________
Schitzangiggles: We used to teach our children to fight evil, now we teach them that fighting is evil.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #40
porrsher
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Jefferson,GA, Georgia
Posts: 638
Little jeep- in deed many manufacturers have different set up instructions. On my set-up the instructions called for an even squat all around. Also indicated on different web sites such as this one on bullet 8;

http://www.ehow.com/how_2094696_setu...ing-hitch.html

Wilson- besides the point that it sound as you haven't had either the need to use one or been around anyone who used a wdh, the point you're missing is that in many applications they are absolutely necessary. The rigs you have seen in off-road places, where the trailer being towed is a flat bed whose load you can manipulate it is different. I can see why you would assume that wdh are bunk. A jeep being hauled on a flat bed can be pulled forward or backwards from the trailer's axles. Thus applying more or less tongue weight. In fact, if you pulled the jeep far enough towards the rear of the trailer axles you can take off tongue weigh from the tow vehicle.

On an Rv scenario such as mine, the 500 lb. tongue weight is not manipulated as easily to that extend. When I bought my camper, I bought it home with no wdh. The unsafe front axle lift and swaying that occurs—especially when an 18 wheeler passes you—is not something I've ever do again.

Simply put, look around Rv's being pulled. I seldom—and I mean seldom—see anyone pulling with out a wdh.

It creates a even and effortless towing driving condition.

As far as the physics remark. I did not study physics in college. But I did take algebra. :-/

With that, I can tell you that when I take the rig to the nearest weight scale at a near by truck stop, they weight each axle The bars on the wdh can move 100 plus pounds quite easily over the WJ unibody. I can adjust (by number of links on the chain) the weight to be distributed.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
__________________
1994 Hunter Green ZJ 5.2L Quadratrac
228k Miles, 2" BB.
2002 Slate Grey Grand Cherokee Overland
161k Bone Stock
2008 Black JK Sahara Unlimited (Love it!)
porrsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #41
little_Jeep
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 5,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by porrsher View Post
Little jeep- in deed many manufacturers have different set up instructions. On my set-up the instructions called for an even squat all around. Also indicated on different web sites such as this one on bullet 8;

http://www.ehow.com/how_2094696_setup-weight-distributing-hitch.html


--snip--

I don't know if the final results are different with my WDH than with yours. I think we are getting to the same final measurement, just from a different starting point. My WDH instruction sheet related to and discussed measurements on the tow rig from the tow rig's natural standing height WITHOUT trailer attached... the directions you followed are talking about the change in tow rig's ride height WITH trailer connected then installing the WDH bars. With the WDH, my front bumper height may lower a couple inches, but I don't know this for a fact as my instructions were based upon how much the front bumper raised (measurement based upon without trailer versus with trailer & WDH), versus how much the WDH would lower my front bumper (measurement based upon trailer attached, then installing WDH).

Last edited by little_Jeep; 07-12-2012 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: added more to my thought process.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #42
LouC
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 1,226
I have towed extensively with Air Lift air bags in my old 98 Grand Cherokee with a boat trailer. For boat trailers that typically run at lower tongue weights than a travel trailer or car hauler, air bags work great. They cannot do what WD hitches do, to transfer weight to the front axle of the tow vehicle. However, when inflated to close to their max they really stiffen up the rear suspension, to the point that when unloaded it feels as stiff as a 3/4 ton pick up, not they typical soft coil suspension of most Grand Cherokees. So they have their place but they do not take the place of WD hitches for heavier tongue weights (like more than 350 lbs).
LouC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #43
little_Jeep
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 5,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
I have towed extensively with Air Lift air bags in my old 98 Grand Cherokee with a boat trailer. For boat trailers that typically run at lower tongue weights than a travel trailer or car hauler, air bags work great. They cannot do what WD hitches do, to transfer weight to the front axle of the tow vehicle. However, when inflated to close to their max they really stiffen up the rear suspension, to the point that when unloaded it feels as stiff as a 3/4 ton pick up, not they typical soft coil suspension of most Grand Cherokees. So they have their place but they do not take the place of WD hitches for heavier tongue weights (like more than 350 lbs).
Also, aren't most boat trailer equipped with tongue braking system, versus electric brakes.... the WDH will not allow the tongue braking system to work correctly.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 09:07 PM   #44
LouC
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 1,226
Yep most boat trailers that have brakes, use surge brakes and the actuator must be able to move. There are some WD hitches that can work with that brake system, they use sliding bars that fit into brackets rather than chains that can restrict the movement of the brake actuator. For boats with tongue weights of 350 or less, I'd say air bags work fine. It is possible to upgrade boat trailer brakes to electric over hydraulic, which combines electric control with hydraulic brakes. In this case you could use any type of WD hitch because you don't use a sliding brake actuator as with surge brakes.
LouC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #45
porrsher
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Jefferson,GA, Georgia
Posts: 638
To the original question I would say you more than likely will have a smoother ride using the WDH for your application.

LouC- You are right about not being able to use chain WDH with surge brakes! I learned that the hard way. It's not a good feeling when you press the brake and realize you are being pushed by 4k 3k pounds with no brakes!

I've switched mine to electric since that fiasco.

I am not sure that you are able to convert boat trailer brakes to electric because of the submerging in water the trailer will take. That's primarily why they are hydraulic.
__________________
1994 Hunter Green ZJ 5.2L Quadratrac
228k Miles, 2" BB.
2002 Slate Grey Grand Cherokee Overland
161k Bone Stock
2008 Black JK Sahara Unlimited (Love it!)
porrsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.