Sports Trailer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Sports Trailer

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
mickmeister
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sports Trailer

My wife and I do a lot of outdoor recreational sports. I had looked at several different trailers, such as the Yakima RackandRoll, but for $2250, I knew I could build a much better, multisport trailer. I have started fabricating it to pull our canoe, kayaks, and dirt bikes. I am building it so that it can be flipped over for one side to carry the dirt bikes and the other side to carry the water sports equipment. I have also made a 12'6" beam that will attach the the front to extend the trailer out for the canoe. I also have an additional 4' piece to attach to the canoe extension so that the trailer becomes a 20' trailer for transporting the steel beams for future projects. Sure beats the 20' beams hanging over both the front and back of the Jeep!

Unread 05-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Interesting. I will be watching this one...
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
jhurt
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry for the slightly off topic question...but in the first picture is that a magnetic welding ground? I'm a pretty novice welder but I saw one of those in a welding supply store recently and thought it looks pretty handy, but had no idea how well it works so I didn't buy it.
Unread 05-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
mickmeister
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhurt View Post
Sorry for the slightly off topic question...but in the first picture is that a magnetic welding ground? I'm a pretty novice welder but I saw one of those in a welding supply store recently and thought it looks pretty handy, but had no idea how well it works so I didn't buy it.
It works perfectly. As you can see in the pic, I now have no other way of connecting the ground to the steel as I have closed off all of the ends. Definitely worth getting!
Unread 05-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #5
mickmeister
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Unread 05-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
mickmeister
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here are some more pics of the trailer after finishing more of it today. The next thing will be getting the wheels and fitting them on and welding the spindles to the spindle mounts, before attaching the mounts to the trailer.

Unread 05-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
mickmeister
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here is the final picture of the main portion of the trailer. I am still working on the canoe extension, but should have that done in another day. I used one of my mountain bikes as a test for the trailer.

Unread 05-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #8
mickmeister
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here is a pic of it with the canoe extension. The extension still needs to caps welded onto the ends and the bolts attached to the arms for the Yakima bars to be mounted. At that point, I can paint it and install the Yakima canoe holder. That is the final piece of the trailer and it is finished. There will be one more piece, and that will be the dirt bike rails to mount on the opposite side of the trailer, but I am waiting on that until we actually buy our dirt bikes later this year.

Unread 05-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #9
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Very cool idea. Are you planning on any sort of detachable fenders/wheel wells or anything? If TN is like UT, a trailer of that size does not need to be registered, so they wouldn't be necessary, but it might be kinda nice to keep the road spray down tho while you're traveling.
Unread 05-23-2012, 10:06 AM   #10
mickmeister
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Very cool idea. Are you planning on any sort of detachable fenders/wheel wells or anything? If TN is like UT, a trailer of that size does not need to be registered, so they wouldn't be necessary, but it might be kinda nice to keep the road spray down tho while you're traveling.
Thanks. Yes. I am going to mount fenders on it and make the switchable by welding bolts sticking up on the top and bottom sides so that I can just unscrew the fender off of one side and flip it to the other. As for the towing lights and license plate, I am going to use wireless towing lights that I found the other day at TSC and then make a plate holder that will swivel over to match the side the trailer is sitting on. The reason I am getting it licensed is because I know we definitely will be going out of state sometimes and it definitely has to be licensed at that point.
Unread 05-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #11
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Good plan. I ended up licensing my little M416 for the same reason. We used it to haul gear to Half Moon Bay and Lake Tahoe last summer... Cali definitely requires registration
Unread 05-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #12
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmeister View Post
It works perfectly. As you can see in the pic, I now have no other way of connecting the ground to the steel as I have closed off all of the ends. Definitely worth getting!
Little late but... you can always tack-weld a little piece of flat stock to the frame somewhere and use that as a ground point. Project done and ready to paint? Grind the tack weld away and you'll never know the flat stock was there.

Interesting idea for a multi-use trailer. I like anything that can be made to fill different needs as your demands change. How's the cargo gunna handle the ride with no suspension? Or am I missing some sort of independant torsion bar set-up?
Unread 06-04-2012, 09:46 PM   #13
mickmeister
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlbook48 View Post
Little late but... you can always tack-weld a little piece of flat stock to the frame somewhere and use that as a ground point. Project done and ready to paint? Grind the tack weld away and you'll never know the flat stock was there.

Interesting idea for a multi-use trailer. I like anything that can be made to fill different needs as your demands change. How's the cargo gunna handle the ride with no suspension? Or am I missing some sort of independant torsion bar set-up?
That is a good point! Thanks.

There really isn't any need for suspension on it. It is mainly hauling our canoes, kayaks, river boards, and bicycles. We don't have the dirt bikes yet, but I have looked at other motorcycle trailers and some don't have suspension on them, so I am not really that worried about that.
Unread 06-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #14
mickmeister
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You all can take a look at all of my pics on my Facebook album of the project.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.