Small Boat - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Small Boat

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 01-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
djsrtr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Small Boat

Hi;

Does anyone pull a small boat, 15-16' fiberglass, with a 4 banger YJ?

Tow capacity is 2K. I think it should be OK. I will probably put brakes on trailer just to be safer.

Anyone with experience?

djsrtr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I doubt anyone here tows with less consideration of ratings than I do (if they do, God help them) but a 16 foot fiberglass i/o V6 could weigh 2300 lb plus a trailer of maybe 750 lb plus some fuel and gear. And the whole set up is twice as long as your YJ more or less, which bothers me more than the 200% over towing limit. I doubt you will enjoy towing that setup other than a short run to the river that runs through your own town. An hour of it would be intolerable. A hour of it on hills would be dangerous and unpleasant.
Unread 01-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
WhyJayPA
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I work as a trailer salesman and do service as well. I wouldnt tow even a boat trailer with a 4 cyl. YJ. Not that you couldnt do it but personally i wouldnt try it. Ive seen too many bad accidents and things go wrong from bad towing decisions.
Unread 01-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
LaddieHanus
1997 TJ Wrangler 

When I lived in Florida about 20 years ago I had a 14 foot fiberglass boat with a 50 hp outboard. Had no problems towing it around even on 55 mph roads with my 4 cyl 89. Lots of lakes north of Orlando.

97 TJ Sahara
89 YJ
2000 Dodge/Cummins Lance Camper
2004 GC Limited (Wife Jeep)
LaddieHanus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
stewknob
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i do not think you should have any problems, but i would take a few short trips around the neighborhood to test it out and get a feel for it before i went for a long journey with it
stewknob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

I regularly towed (for 4 years) a 14ft Fletcher with a Yamaha 50hp outboard using a Suzuli Jimny, on an unbraked trailer - never a problem apart from having to pull in to the slow lane on hills. 200 mile round trip to my cabin. Even under hard braking it's fine.
Wouldn't even hesitate to tow it with my 4.0ZJ.
Camaro16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #7
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro16 View Post
I regularly towed (for 4 years) a 14ft Fletcher with a Yamaha 50hp outboard using a Suzuli Jimny, on an unbraked trailer - never a problem apart from having to pull in to the slow lane on hills. 200 mile round trip to my cabin. Even under hard braking it's fine.
Wouldn't even hesitate to tow it with my 4.0ZJ.
With all due respect, a Fletcher 14 is a cool boat, but it is famous for weighing near nothing, about the same as a big wave runner. What does it weigh? 700 pounds?
Unread 01-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #8
Rusty Scupper

Back in the day. I pulled a bayliner 16ft fiberglass boat with a 1988 Pontiac Sunbird with air shocks. Only real problem was the boat ramps.
Rusty Scupper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.