which size drop hitch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > which size drop hitch

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-26-2014, 06:14 PM   #1
Bryck7
1998 TJ Wrangler 

which size drop hitch

I have a 1998 jeep wrangler tj 35 in tires 4 inch suspension lift with 3 inch body lift and smittybilt rock crusher front bumper I also have a 1995 ford e350 Itasca Sundance class c motor home which is in storage for towing purposes I have the blue ox alpha tow bar with adaptable lugs for the smittybilt bumper the rv receiver center around 17 inches the jeep d ring center is 30.5 inches off driveway could anyone tell me the size of drop hitch I need to use for towing jeep (I know I'll have to turn hitch upside down)... so that's what a 13 in difference? Because I've only seen them up to 10 inch yes I should line both vehicles op and do it that way but I thought maybe someone has possibly had this setup too. I will check them on flat surface but I wanted to ask anyways sight unseen in know. Thanks guys.

library-1391288450329.jpg

Last edited by Bryck7; 11-26-2014 at 06:40 PM..
Bryck7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2014, 09:40 AM   #2
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry, you gotta line em up. Its the only way. And approximate the tongue weight by getting guys to stand on your bumper when you do or it will "V" between the rigs when you drop the tongue onto the hitch.
Unread 11-27-2014, 07:06 PM   #3
smccollamjr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If he's flat towing there probably won't be much tongue weight.
SOLD-'96 XJ, Build Thread: http://www.jeepinwv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6523
smccollamjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccollamjr View Post
If he's flat towing there probably won't be much tongue weight.
Oh, missed that. He still has to line them up.
Unread 11-29-2014, 04:27 PM   #5
Bryck7
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys and that all makes sense but camper world told me i'd need a custom receiver that a roadmaster 10 inch would not be enough center hitch hole on rv is at 171/2 inches and jeep d ring mounts are centered at 30 1/2 inches so I guess I might have to have a custom receiver built like what maybe a 13 inch drop hitch turned upside down cause the blue ox alpha tow bar to the smittybilt rock crawler bumper can't be angled over a 3 inch pitch? It needs to be as level as possible I guess and I'm not dropping my jeeps lift kit so I'll repost the solution after I talk to the fab shop thanks happy holidays be safe.

Last edited by Bryck7; 11-30-2014 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: mis spelling and incorrect numbers in info
Unread 11-29-2014, 06:02 PM   #6
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

How about combining a 10" drop hitch adapter and a reversed drop ball mount?
Unread 11-30-2014, 10:07 AM   #7
Bryck7
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The alpha tow bar can't hook to a ball mount but I was kind of thinking the same thing see I need to get this done to go out of state to work but I don't know about towing with it not being a one piece drop hitch receiver I have a 98 grand Cherokee Laredo that has front package all ready to go but I gave that jeep to the wife the wrangler is mine and it's going with me if you know what I mean but thanks for the input I am going to line them up with tow bar installed on jeep with a level on the tow bar and both vehicles on a flat surface then see if I can use the biggest one I found the roadmaster 10 inch receiver if its 2 inch incline on the tow bar I might be able to get away without having to have one built I'll have a shop when I go out of state and these things won't be an issue congrats to all who have a shop for their jeep I can't get my jeep in my single car garage to tall thanks guys I'll post a picture of the solution I come up with so as to help others with same situation.
screenshot-916-.png

Unread 11-30-2014, 02:24 PM   #8
Bryck7
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I just went and checked the rv and the d ring mounts center hole is at 30 1/2 inches the rv is at 17 1/2 so that's a 13 inch difference so I might get away with the 10 inch roadmaster drop hitch after all. The problem is I don't have the lugs from amazon for the tow bar to attach to the d ring mounts until Tuesday so I'm trying to hold it level and measure down to the 17 1/2 inch height.Tuesday I can attach the tow bar to the jeep d ring mount prop it up to level while behind the rv and be able to measure the needed height. It's a pain when you don't have anyone to help. Also I hope it doesn't wear my mtr tires down on the flat towing 10 hour trip and to go bow hunting, otherwise I should just throw the jeep up on the tandem axle 8x16 carry-on trailer and tow them both behind the rv, except it's just a utility trailer, not a car trailer. Speaking of DOT, some state require a proportional braking system like the blue ox patriot in order to tow your vehicle behind the rv that's another $1000.00 . So I'm going to do the flat tow. Unless I put a lift kit on my rv lol kidding but it has been done too.
screenshot-859-.png

Last edited by Bryck7; 11-30-2014 at 07:40 PM..
Unread 11-30-2014, 02:51 PM   #9
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Some states require the flat tow to have brakes if it weighs over 3000 pounds.
Unread 11-30-2014, 04:26 PM   #10
smccollamjr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010
Some states require the flat tow to have brakes if it weighs over 3000 pounds.
I think most require anything over 3k being towed to have brakes. You may be better off using the trailer if you have a place to store it where you're going. If you have big tires on the Jeep it may be easier to use the trailer. The small trailer tires will have less rolling resistance than a set of 12.5" MTs.
SOLD-'96 XJ, Build Thread: http://www.jeepinwv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6523
Unread 11-30-2014, 07:26 PM   #11
Bryck7
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Problem with using trailer besides the total combined height of trailer and jeep for sway factor is no proper anchoring of jeep except 10k lb ratchet straps to th 2 inch square tube frame of trailer because it is just a utility trailer not a proper car trailer but it does haul 10k lbs max on trailer and I have already paid for everything to flat tow I think at 30 1/2 inches on jeep down 10 inch drop hitch inverted to the 17 1/2 inch rv height I might me good it's just I have nobody here to help hold up the tow bar level so I can measure properly plus someone needs to drive jeep while I drive rv to flat surface cause rv in in a field uneven ground in storage facility I'll hook up tow bar and prop it up to level Tuesday when the d ring lug attachments get here then I'll know what I'll need. Found the easiest wiring kit though. Yes most states require it. And yes the tire wear gas mileage any steering issues wit those Kevlar 35 12.5 15 inch tires. If I was an avid rv user I would have decide to go with the trailer might me cheaper in the long run plus I need the trailer for my hauling and landscape company, but that's just it it's only a utility trailer.
screenshot-919-.png

Last edited by Bryck7; 11-30-2014 at 07:46 PM..
Unread 11-30-2014, 09:17 PM   #12
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I flat towed my LJ for a number of years behind my RV... IMHO, if you can get within 2-3 inches of level, you should be okay with the tow bar.

Eventually I bought a trailer for exactly the reasons you described... In the long run, the wear and tear on the Jeep's steering and tires would cost more than buying and maintaining a trailer.

I can feel the extra weight of the trailer on steep grades, but on the flat sections the reduced drag of the trailer tires more than offsets the extra weight of the trailer.

My buddy and I have the same 8.1L Suburbans, and we did a side-by-side comparison - I flat-towed, and he put his rig on the trailer. I had the advantage on the grades because I was 2200 lbs. lighter, but he got better overall mileage for the 300 mile trip. It was an interesting comparison.
Unread 12-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #13
Bryck7
1998 TJ Wrangler 

reply to drop hitch

I just spoke with my neighbor who drives truck and he said he would just strap it to the 8x16 foot 2 inch square tube framed electric brake trailer too so as to not risk transfer case even though I can throw it in neutral and also to reduce tire wear and steering wear I was just concerned because of improper tie down according to dot per state I have 6 10k ratchet straps for front back side or wherever I need to strap but around the trailer top tube and back to jeep is that going to pass and what about top heavy sway cause if I can use trailer I won't have to sell trailer I could bring more stuff on it too except I spent $600 on the tow bar and the lugs if I can use trailer I'll use it for the long distance and the tow bar just for short trips hunting maybe survey says?
halffullhauling_bryckstrailerteb6jpg.duda.lg.crp-2-.png

Unread 12-02-2014, 06:53 PM   #14
smccollamjr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

With tires so far back on the trailer you may have an issue with tongue weight. You might try backing the Jeep on the trailer and centering the Jeep's front tires between the trailer axles if there's room.
Unread 01-08-2015, 03:43 PM   #15
Bryck7
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Flat towing results of blue ox alpha tow bar roadmaster 10 inch drop hitch behind 27 foot class c rv see profile for jeep specs I put this out there to help anyone with towing their lifted jeep behind their rv or you can haul it on a trailer too. I wanted both options so here it is thanks for everyones replies!
img_20150108_122518.jpg   img_20150108_122527.jpg   img_20150108_122553.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.