Single Axle Utility to Tow with TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Single Axle Utility to Tow with TJ

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
krazymatt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Single Axle Utility to Tow with TJ

After I sold my 28' Travel Trailer, I found I have no use for my Cummins Truck nor the use for the $700 payment and insurance that comes with it. All I was using my truck for was to take my trash to the dump 5 miles away on weekends. I can easily do that with a nice small 5x8 utility trailer by Big Tex behind my TJ. My question is what size of trailer looks good/tows well behind the Jeep? If I go too wide it might look funny right? I'm thinking a pipe top rail single axle trailer will work great. Plus I can tow my snowmobile with it too. Thanks

krazymatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
Jtrux
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I really want a 5x10 but i'm curious to see what others have used as well
Unread 07-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
krazymatt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I talked to someone at a local big tex dealer and he recommended a 5x10. He said the 4ft wide trailers are too narrow and you cant see them behind you. He's probably right. I used to have a 77"wide I towed with a chevy tahoe and it was good for that vehicle.
krazymatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #4
Jtrux
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I was really thinking about a 6x10 but a 5' would track alot better behind the jeep if i ever (and i will) take it to the beach.
Unread 07-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Before I bought my TJ I had a P/U. When I bought my TJ I missed my P/U so I bought a 5X10 cargo only a few months after I got my TJ, that was back in 01. I have used that trailer so many times I can't begin to remember them all. I have had friends and family members use the trailer countless times.

I have had it loaded with other 3k worth of crap and towed it cross country, I wouldn't recomned anybody doing that.

I also have a covered 6X12 that I tow behind my TJ as well as a 14 foot Jon boat and occasionally an 8X16 foot (never very loaded). AS long as you don't overload your trailer I would say up to a 6 x 12 is easily a safe bet.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 08:37 PM   #6
nitecop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 5x10 tilt trailer that works just great behind my TJ. The tube is about 5 foot wide so the trailer fits it well.
Project f-Xj F150/XJ Ford eXtreme jeep combo
06 6 Speed LJ my daily driver.
Colorado Jeep club memeber #505
nitecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
gixxerphil
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 6x10 with no problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
can you get a good pic of your muff set up ?
gixxerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 07:16 AM   #8
vtx531
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 4x8 and the width is almost exactly the same as the Jeep. Looks good I think.

MY JEEP
vtx531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #9
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My 6x10 seems to work really well behind my TJ. I think you will be pleased with either a 5 or 6 foot one.

The 5 foot wide trailer will give you a better view when looking through the mirrors.Dont know if that matters to you are not. The short wheel base of a Jeep,coupled with a short trailer, makes for a harder reverse approach.

FIX IT TILL it's broke
hesterj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.