Single Axle Utility to Tow with TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Single Axle Utility to Tow with TJ

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
krazymatt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Single Axle Utility to Tow with TJ

After I sold my 28' Travel Trailer, I found I have no use for my Cummins Truck nor the use for the $700 payment and insurance that comes with it. All I was using my truck for was to take my trash to the dump 5 miles away on weekends. I can easily do that with a nice small 5x8 utility trailer by Big Tex behind my TJ. My question is what size of trailer looks good/tows well behind the Jeep? If I go too wide it might look funny right? I'm thinking a pipe top rail single axle trailer will work great. Plus I can tow my snowmobile with it too. Thanks

krazymatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
Jtrux
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I really want a 5x10 but i'm curious to see what others have used as well
Unread 07-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
krazymatt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I talked to someone at a local big tex dealer and he recommended a 5x10. He said the 4ft wide trailers are too narrow and you cant see them behind you. He's probably right. I used to have a 77"wide I towed with a chevy tahoe and it was good for that vehicle.
krazymatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #4
Jtrux
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I was really thinking about a 6x10 but a 5' would track alot better behind the jeep if i ever (and i will) take it to the beach.
Unread 07-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Before I bought my TJ I had a P/U. When I bought my TJ I missed my P/U so I bought a 5X10 cargo only a few months after I got my TJ, that was back in 01. I have used that trailer so many times I can't begin to remember them all. I have had friends and family members use the trailer countless times.

I have had it loaded with other 3k worth of crap and towed it cross country, I wouldn't recomned anybody doing that.

I also have a covered 6X12 that I tow behind my TJ as well as a 14 foot Jon boat and occasionally an 8X16 foot (never very loaded). AS long as you don't overload your trailer I would say up to a 6 x 12 is easily a safe bet.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 08:37 PM   #6
nitecop
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 5x10 tilt trailer that works just great behind my TJ. The tube is about 5 foot wide so the trailer fits it well.
Project f-Xj F150/XJ Ford eXtreme jeep combo
06 6 Speed LJ my daily driver.
Colorado Jeep club memeber #505
nitecop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
gixxerphil
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 6x10 with no problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
can you get a good pic of your muff set up ?
gixxerphil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2011, 07:16 AM   #8
vtx531
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 4x8 and the width is almost exactly the same as the Jeep. Looks good I think.

MY JEEP
vtx531 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #9
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My 6x10 seems to work really well behind my TJ. I think you will be pleased with either a 5 or 6 foot one.

The 5 foot wide trailer will give you a better view when looking through the mirrors.Dont know if that matters to you are not. The short wheel base of a Jeep,coupled with a short trailer, makes for a harder reverse approach.

FIX IT TILL it's broke
hesterj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.