Single axle car trailer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Single axle car trailer?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 05-06-2015, 03:30 PM   #1
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Single axle car trailer?

Looking at building my own car trailer in the next few months. I will be hauling my buggy, which weighs in around 3000 lbs.

Is there any real reason I shouldn't use a single 7k axle vs two 3.5k axles? I feel like it will be a lighter trailer, and easier to build. Plus less parts to go wrong on the road. Obviously I will definitely have brakes on the trailer. I would probably only do a single braking axle though if I do two axles.

Unread 05-06-2015, 04:47 PM   #2
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

They are not nearly as stable, when you get a flat, you're done, very hard to balance. And, how much do you save? $500?
Unread 05-07-2015, 02:23 PM   #3
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I was more looking at saving weight. Costs would be close to the same due to the price of the bigger axle.

You raise some good points. I'll definitely have to think it over. Definitely not doing anything right away, but I think building my own is the way to go. Should be right around the price of a questionable used trailer for all new parts.
Unread 05-07-2015, 02:27 PM   #4
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Tandem axle is the way to go.

Build Thread WK
Other Build Thread XJ
September 2013/January 2015 COTM
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2015, 08:35 AM   #5
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I think you will be happier with Tandem axles. Also, a homemade trailer is usually a bit heavier than a factory one because we don't have the benefit of engineering software to minimize the metal and still get the strength that the factory manufacturers do. They don't want you to have any more metal than they have to because that is their profit margin. Your homemade trailer will likely be stronger, but heavier.

If you are determined to have a lighter trailer and want to make it yourself, consider metal wheel tracks with expanded metal catwalk screening instead of a solid wood or metal deck.
Unread 05-08-2015, 12:03 PM   #6
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Wilson is spot-on here. A tandem axle trailer is going to be more stable going down the road. That would be the number one factor for me.
Unread 05-08-2015, 02:33 PM   #7
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Wilson, I was already looking at expanded metal for the decking. As well as just doing two strips of deck for the wheels, rather than doing the whole width.

I was never opposed to the two axle design, but I was definitely curious about doing a single axle. The idea of two 3500 lb axles vs a single 7000 lb was strange to me. I guess I needed a little more thought on the idea.

Any thoughts on spring axles vs torsion axles? I'm not opposed to spending a little more money to get a better ride. Also, if leaf springs, are the eye ended springs better, or the slipper style?
Unread 05-08-2015, 02:35 PM   #8
jblue1555
1979 CJ7 

If you ever have to lay on the deck you will want full steel
jblue1555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2015, 02:41 PM   #9
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I had a plan to build me a new rig carrier on an Isuzu cab and chassis with two strips of expanded metal decking from a dove tail ramp to the cab with some foot placements and a ladder bar, if you get the drift of that. The Isuzu cab and chassis was snatched out from under me and I didn't get back to the project.

But, I really think a dedicated truck or trailer with that design would be the cat's ***.

As for springs, I don't think it is necessary to coddle the rig. But air bags would be pretty cool.

I have always had a winch at the front of my trailer for loading dead rigs. And, if you have to work on your rig underneath, a trailer or truck with an open midsection might help. Like having it on a lift sort of.
Unread 05-08-2015, 06:11 PM   #10
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The Isuzu would have been cool. There's a few local guys who have converted old box trucks and semi's to haulers like that. Plus they can still pull a gooseneck or bumper pull trailer as well.

My research tonight found that I can buy a brand new Kaufman 7k trailer for around $2500. At that price, the thought of building my own has kinda gone out the window. I was thinking I could build a 7k for around $1800-2000 or a 10k for a couple hundred more. I'm thinking it would be a lot more cost effective to just buy the new one. It would require about a 12 hour drive to their plant, but that's not too bad.
Unread 05-08-2015, 06:33 PM   #11
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I think you are right to buy the new one. There are many manufacturers. Perhaps there is one closer to you. Good luck!
Unread 05-08-2015, 07:02 PM   #12
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I think you are right to buy the new one. There are many manufacturers. Perhaps there is one closer to you. Good luck!
Nothing close to my area I have found. The 12 hour thing is round trip, so that's not too bad. I've definitely done worse. I was surprised to come across this one, as most local sales are in the $3500 range for a new trailer.
Unread 06-01-2015, 11:32 AM   #13
MetropolisLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV View Post
Wilson, I was already looking at expanded metal for the decking. As well as just doing two strips of deck for the wheels, rather than doing the whole width.
Expanded metal works ok on single axle lawn mower trailers but parking a car on it? Not such a good idea. Even if it was strong enough, the stuff is very slick when it is wet and muddy. I only like wood for off-road vehicles.
MetropolisLake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2015, 11:40 AM   #14
MetropolisLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV View Post
Nothing close to my area I have found. The 12 hour thing is round trip, so that's not too bad. I've definitely done worse. I was surprised to come across this one, as most local sales are in the $3500 range for a new trailer.
I sell them all day long for half that, brand new. One thing to keep in mind if you are traveling though is that several states in that area requires brakes on both axles, a breakaway kit, and side marker lights. Not sure if Maryland is one of these but I think it is. If you travel out of state make sure you request these options, or whatever it takes to be legal up there because if you're traveling that far these options may not be on there by default.

Also Maryland is VERY adamant about the titles. I'm sure about this. Make sure you get a "universal" manufacturers statement of origin which is watermarked and usually has some brown ink. Up until recently most other states let you get away with professional double sided printing on wax paper, but Maryland will not let you register with that.
MetropolisLake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2015, 02:13 AM   #15
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetropolisLake View Post
Expanded metal works ok on single axle lawn mower trailers but parking a car on it? Not such a good idea. Even if it was strong enough, the stuff is very slick when it is wet and muddy. I only like wood for off-road vehicles.
Gee, its not so slippery for them to use it for catwalk several hundred feet up in the cooling tower at the East Bend Generating Station near you, and the military uses it to drive MRAP's off of transport vehicles.

Seriously, I was not referring to the lawn mower ramps with which you are familiar. They make this stuff in all configurations of thickness and load bearing with all types of non slip surfaces. Its the perfect material for a lightweight trailer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.