Shortest trailer to haul two jeeps? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Shortest trailer to haul two jeeps?

Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep FendeAll Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 04-25-2014, 04:24 PM   #1
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Shortest trailer to haul two jeeps?

I am looking at picking up a trailer to haul both a '94 YJ and '85 CJ-7. The YJ has a 3.5" lift with 33-12.50s, whereas the CJ-7 is stock with 31" tires. I know my YJ weighs right around 3300lbs, and the CJ-7 should be about the same, so weight won't be an issue. I just need to know the shortest trailer I can pick up that will still easily fit both. I know 28' will work, but how about a 25-26' trailer? Thanks!

jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2014, 07:08 PM   #2
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The shorter you go the harder it is to tie them down properly. A nice angle for the tie downs is better than straight up and down. So be sure you really need the extra two feet or whatnot.
Unread 04-25-2014, 07:40 PM   #3
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm well aware of the issues with securing the two Jeeps, that's not the question. I just simply want to know the shortest trailer I can get by with, and still have room for both. As long as they will fit, securing them won't be a problem.
Unread 04-25-2014, 09:00 PM   #4
smccollamjr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Measure the two Jeeps. Add those numbers together. Get a trailer with a deck greater than or equal to the sum of the length of both Jeeps.
SOLD-'96 XJ, Build Thread: http://www.jeepinwv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6523
smccollamjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2014, 11:56 PM   #5
jagular7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yah, line them up one behind the other. Measure the distance from the most front tires to the most rear tires. That's the length of deck you need. Now, you may have an issue with overhang off that deck length with certain states. Don't forget to layout your rigging to secure them to the deck.

After configuring the deck, you'll have to figure out if you want a bumper pull or a 5th wheel, cause its all about tongue weight and balance to figure out where the axles need to be. Then the size tires and axles to carry that kind of weight plus the trailer itself, etc. etc. etc.

Jagular
Lnxa, KS
97 TJ SE lifted, locked and rubbered for fun
94 YJ SE stock, 225s, Trail Tested
jagular7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2014, 12:37 AM   #6
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
After configuring the deck, you'll have to figure out if you want a bumper pull or a 5th wheel, cause its all about tongue weight and balance to figure out where the axles need to be. Then the size tires and axles to carry that kind of weight plus the trailer itself, etc. etc. etc.
It will be a bumper pull/tag trailer. Even though I know 28' would be perfect, I'm still trying to keep the trailer as short as possible. I'm pretty sure 26' will be adequate, but wanted to see what others were using to haul two Jeeps at once. Even though dual 6-lug (5k pound) axles would be sufficient, I'd rather go with dual 8-lug axles for the extra capacity. The trailer will also be used to occasionally pull a Kubota tractor with FEL, and the extra length will allow enough room to haul both a bush hog and disc plow with the tractor.
Unread 04-26-2014, 06:08 PM   #7
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason280 View Post
I'm well aware of the issues with securing the two Jeeps, that's not the question. I just simply want to know the shortest trailer I can get by with, and still have room for both. As long as they will fit, securing them won't be a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smccollamjr View Post
Measure the two Jeeps. Add those numbers together. Get a trailer with a deck greater than or equal to the sum of the length of both Jeeps.
I can't think of anything to add to this.
Unread 07-27-2014, 11:48 PM   #8
Davetha

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Around 30ft-32ft is ideal for towing two Jeeps. You can get away with around 24ft~ though but its not optimal. Not only is tying them down important, but balancing the trailer so you don't exceed your tongue weight and balance everything out.

Having a 5th wheel or gooseneck would probably be best for this application, but I've seen it done on a bumper pull.

So yes, 26ft will work, but its not perfect.
Davetha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2014, 09:36 AM   #9
Leyva_WJawd
1999 WJ 

You know weigh stations are pretty easy to find online. They'll charge you about $10 to weigh your cars. In case you want to know the actual weight of your vehicles.
Unread 08-06-2014, 12:33 PM   #10
smccollamjr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The local Love's truck stop charges $12 for the initial weigh and $1 for a re-weigh if it's the same day.
SOLD-'96 XJ, Build Thread: http://www.jeepinwv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6523
smccollamjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2014, 03:58 AM   #11
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe they can measure how long the Jeeps are too. The OP was unable to do that on his own. Do you think they have a tape measure at the weigh station?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.