Setting up an expo trailer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Setting up an expo trailer

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 07-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Setting up an expo trailer

So now that I have my Jeep pretty well ready to go, its time to start a new project....an expedition trailer. I have looked at lots of homebuilt and production built trailers and know pretty much what I want and don't want. I'm going to base mine roughly on an Adventure Trailers Chaser.

I have the skills and equipment to build the trailer. My question is for anyone who has a expo trailer is on your suspension, how is it set-up. More specifically, what width axle and weight/width springs did you use to get it to clear? I'm running 33" and want to design it to run up to 35" tires fully loaded.

I'd like to get some input from those who have already blazed this trail as I don't want to have to do and re-do based upon trial and error designing.

BTW, I will add that I plan to use a solid axle and double-eye leaf springs. No trailing arms with airbags or torsion axles. Keeping it simple.

Also, some input on the overall trailer length as well as the tounge length would be helpful. I think I know what I'm going to do, but I'm not set in stone on it. Thanks in advance.

aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
bbacus
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Good luck on your build. Your axle will obviously have to be made based on your trailer width and the type of rims that you plan on using. In this case I'm assuming that you will have to fabricate your trailer to accommodate the larger 35 inch tires. Just make sure you specify the right size axle for all of this. I run a 3500 lb. rated axle under my trailer (Dexter), and that is more than enough for a trailer that weighs in at about 900 lbs loaded. My trailer is longer than most off road trailers that you will find online. The bed on my trailer is 8ft long X 5ft wide. I run 30X9.5x15 MT tires on the trailer. Overall width of trailer plus tires is approx: 80inchs. This can be a limiting factor on some trails. Some of the smaller trails can run 60 inches total width of vehicle and/or trailer. I wanted to sleep in the trailer itself, so I made it longer than most. I also made my trailer out of aluminum, very light weight. The trailer itself weighs about 400lbs. I can't help you very much on the exact technical details of what you need, but good luck.
bbacus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Thanks for the reply. I was considering a 1750# axle should be more than adequate for anything I'll haul. It won't double as a rock or lumber hauler. I have plenty of trailers for that purpose.

I guess I'm mostly trying to get info on running the axle setup. Spring-over or spring-under axle? Extended shackle hangers or regular? Blocked up off the frame? Or weld on a rectangle tube block and weld hangers to it?

I know ways to do it and I know a lot of it will just happen once I get the frame and axle mocked up. Just trying to see what others have done.
Unread 08-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
bbacus
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Expo Trailer

You have probably done a lot of internet seaching, but I have found some pretty good info on off-road trailer building...can't remember where, but google searching should do the job.
bbacus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #5
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

What I want is to find a photo of the suspension setup on a small expo trailer running 33s. would like to avoid doing and redoing to get it set up right.
Unread 08-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
JPNCA
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Don't know if it will help or not but here are some pics of my 416 on 33s

JPNCA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.