is it safe to trailer w/aired down tires? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > is it safe to trailer w/aired down tires?

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 10-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
fish88
2008 JK Wrangler 

is it safe to trailer w/aired down tires?

I just picked up an enclosed 8x16 enclosed trailer to move my 08 JKU Rubicon. Since I have a 4.5 lift and run 37's, I do not fit inside the door opening without airing down to 5 psi. on all four tires. This drops me the 2 inches I need to clear the opening. Once inside, I have 4 inches of clearance.

My questions are;
1. Is it safe to trailer with the tires aired down that much or will that allow the jeep to move about given the tires having so much give?
2. Should I air them back up before trailering since I have the height clearance once inside?
3. Is it proper to strap from the front and rear axles to the floor rings?

Other suggestions, things I should be thinking about?

Thanks

fish88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I think the cargo will be more stable with more tire contact area on the trailer floor. But, I don't think it will matter either way.

I think strapping the axles is a bad technique in all situations, but it is more difficult to get a good strap angle (the lower the angle the more secure the tie down) on the body inside a trailer. So, I would probably strap the axles in an enclosed trailer.

Every vehicle I have ever had delivered by commercial delivery in an enclosed trailer (several) arrived in perfect condition parked inside the trailer with no straps or tie downs at all. Just sayin.
Unread 10-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have seen allot of jeeps loaded and unloaded at various trails. I canít remember ever seeing anybody air them back up for trailering. I don't think you will have a problem. I have only trailered mind a couple times and I never aired it up.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I chain to the axles and never air up when Im loading up after wheeling but usually do on the way there. I have never had any problems. You should be fine.
Unread 10-24-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
haloperformance
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I have an open trailer, but use chain and binders on the axles in all 4 corners. I travel with my Jeep around 15psi, never air up or down.
1991 XJ: 35"s, 4:56s 5.5"LA lift, stretched, locked, skids, caged, high steer, spray paint. I think it was stock at one point.
<-1978 CJ5 parts - click on my classified
haloperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #6
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

Tire PSI has nothing to do with transporting a vehicle on a trailer. If you can drive it onto the trailer without busting a tire or bending a rim you've got enough tire pressure.
Unread 10-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Actually, the tire may de-bead if it is driven into the trailer with less than 3-5psi or so. And, if it sits in the trialer and wiggles back and forth a little, it may also de-bead if the pressure is zero or close to it.

I have seen tires pop off the rim just from airing down unattended in trail parking lots. Some guy pulls a Shrader valve stem out or leaves a deflator in position and the tire goes to zero psi and the tire pops right off.
Unread 10-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

When I said bust I guess I meant debead. :-)
Unread 10-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #9
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaForceB85 View Post
When I said bust I guess I meant debead. :-)
I see that now. Its unlikely though as you point out.
Unread 10-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #10
fish88
2008 JK Wrangler 

To everyone who has replied... Thank You!

The recent post's have confirmed that I will at the least air up to 15 psi once inside the trailer to transport. I was mostly concerned with the psi being so close to zero and popping the bead while transporting.

happy wheeling...
fish88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #11
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm sure 5 psi will be enough.
Unread 11-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #12
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

Every vehicle I've ever seen professionally towed has been secured by the wheels and/or rims.
However, if your jeep has a lift and a lot of flex and you were concerned about it slamming around in the trailer I could see the need to secure the axles instead.
Unread 11-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #13
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaForceB85 View Post
Every vehicle I've ever seen professionally towed has been secured by the wheels and/or rims.
However, if your jeep has a lift and a lot of flex and you were concerned about it slamming around in the trailer I could see the need to secure the axles instead.
Military and DOT rules require securing vehicles by the load meaning the body and not the axles. Roll back tow truck drivers secure the load by the frame unless impossible and then they use wheel webbing.

No one would snatch a stuck rig out by the axles which is essentially what axle tie downs are equal to doing.

Notwithstanding, I agree that the majority of off road rigs are secured to the trailer by the axles. The rims, not so much.
Unread 11-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #14
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010

Military and DOT rules require securing vehicles by the load meaning the body and not the axles. Roll back tow truck drivers secure the load by the frame unless impossible and then they use wheel webbing.

No one would snatch a stuck rig out by the axles which is essentially what axle tie downs are equal to doing.

Notwithstanding, I agree that the majority of off road rigs are secured to the trailer by the axles. The rims, not so much.
LoL guess the tow truck drivers don't care when it's a wrecked vehicle then. That's about the only time I've seen one professionally towed. Well that and impounds. But I do see it done by the rim a lot here in those cases.
Unread 11-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #15
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

Deleted

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.