Safe to tow 4x7 Utility Trailer behind 1997 Wrangler? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Safe to tow 4x7 Utility Trailer behind 1997 Wrangler?

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair

Unread 02-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
PDXdreWski
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Safe to tow 4x7 Utility Trailer behind 1997 Wrangler?

I have a 1997 Sport Wrangler (4.0 liter In-Line 6-cylinder). I have been interested in buying a 4x7 utility trailer from a guy here in Portland, Oregon. I only plan on using the trailer to haul built up junk on the side of the house and in the garage. Occasional dump runs. Possibly pick up a piece of furniture here and there.

Looking all over the internet I have become nervous to pull the trigger on a trailer due to the overall conclusion that most people say it's flat out dangerous to tow anything behind a Jeep Wrangler.

Hard to stop.
Trailer easy to swerve and tip the Jeep.
Ruins your breaks and tires.
etc.....

I've never towed anything before and so I'm very 'green' to towing. I finally just figured it's time to get a trailer since the Jeep has a receiver hitch on it.

Any advice?

PDXdreWski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have been towing a 5X10 cargo trailer with my TJ since I bought the TJ back in 2001. The TJ says it can tow 2,000lbs. I have towed more than that without incident.

Whenever you tow with any vehicle the trailer can affect how the tow vehicle will perform. Just be careful, slow down, and use common sense.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
Indy

Its not dangerous to tow, its just dangerous to tow too much. The wrangler is rated at 2k pounds, not sure about the jk though.

Most 4xwhatever trailers are rated for less than 1500lbs. Even a 4x8 and an atv is noticeable back there, the heavier you go the worse it will go.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.