Rules for trailering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Rules for trailering

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! PANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiSmoking Deal on Jeep Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit with rear 13

Unread 09-22-2014, 07:50 PM   #1
rt4422
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Rules for trailering

I have tried to search for threads on the rules and guidelines for towing your jeep on a flatbed trailer such as in gear/not in gear, where and how to strap down, but I can't seem to find any. I know I have read some in the past.
This will be my first time towing my jeep on a trailer and I want to check on some rules for this.

I have a manual so my first question is do I leave it in gear or in neutral? 4Lo in gear? Or just parking brake?

Secondly, strap to chassis or axles? From what I've read I'm leaning towards chassis... Will 4 - 2" ratchet straps with 10,000# breaking strength, one on each corner suffice?

If theres a thread on this, I will gladly accept the link...

Thanks

rt4422 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Secure the axles and the rest of the vehicle will stay in place.

Strapping to the frame requires securing the suspension. If there is any movement in the suspension when the frame is strapped you'll rip your straps and risk losing your load.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2014, 08:20 PM   #3
77351wcj5
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Either method will work, just make sure your straps are pulling away from each other, not just straight down.
77351wcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2014, 08:31 PM   #4
white305
2006 LJ Wrangler 

As far as rules go, some states require brakes on both axles of the trailer. I tow mine in gear, low range. I use axle straps and ratchet straps that I bought from Mac's. Nice stuff if you need to buy some. Four corners. If you tie into the frame you should crank it down to the bump stops to prevent shock loading the straps (no experience with this though).
white305 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2014, 08:50 PM   #5
rt4422
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input, fellas. I went ahead and ordered 4 - 10,000# ratchet straps and 4 axle straps since it seems like most people tie to the axle and it seems the most simple.

I was thinking 4LO in gear as well, just wasn't sure if I was missing a concept on how that's a bad idea.
rt4422 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2014, 08:54 PM   #6
GringoLoco
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Agree with just securing the axle. I wish tow truck drivers understood that, I had my Jeep towed on a flatbed when I grenaded my D35. The halfwit driver strapped my wheels to the flatbed instead of just the axles, and somehow managed to bend one of my steel rims.
YELLOW Jeep Club Member #5606
13 mpg - edit: 12 mpg
No hi-lift on the hood (yet)
Odd noises
Still can't get it to take off from a treadmill....
GringoLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2014, 10:38 AM   #7
my996duc1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

anyone have pics on how/where they are using the axle straps on the front axle ??

I've looked at my front axle and can't spot a good place to route the axle straps without going over something I don't want to crush.

I've been running straps through the front wheels and then also running a set of straps on the d-rings of the front bumper.... over kill with six straps (4 front and 2 rear) but I don't like any of my front strap locations and would like to find a good spot to use the axle straps on the front.

I keep mine in 4 low and 1st gear with the e-brake set. It has never moved on the trailer while towing.

_
2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara #0090 / MetalCloak'd / Currie 4" Lift with AntiRock / 35x12.50 GoodYear Kevlars / UCF skids

My build : http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/rubicon-sahara-build-chronicles-328649.html
my996duc1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2014, 11:26 AM   #8
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Asking about Trailering a Jeep is about like asking a political opinion. You talk to a 100 people, you get 100 answers.

Four individual tie downs. You debate chain, or strap. Taking one long chain or strap and running it from point A to B, C, & D doesn't count.

You debate cross or don't cross rear straps/chains.

Axle or suspension, I have seen the professionals use both. Jeeps have a lot of flex, if your tow rig is large, having a Jeep rocking & rolling on trailer may not be a problem for you. If your tow rig is on the small side, it might be a safety problem. You debate.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #9
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I tie down at both the axles and frame.

Straight forward from the front axle to tie down rings on the trailer bed
Crossed from the rear axle to the trailer bed tie down rings
Crossed from the front bumper D-rings to the trailer front rail rings
Straight from the rear bumper D-rings to the trailer side rail rings

I found that if I just went from the D-rings the rig would tend to shift a bit. If I just went from the axles the rig would get to bouncing on the trailer. The way I do it now - it doesn't move until I want it too.
Unread 09-23-2014, 11:39 AM   #10
rrobbins
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I put the jeep in 1st gear, usually low range, set the ebrake, axle straps around the inner c's and then go as straightforward as possible. For the rear I can just squeeze the axle straps next to the upper control arm mounts around the axle. They end up folded a little but they are beefy and have a fabric sleeve to keep from chafing. Again I go straight back with them. If your rig is super flexy and you have a small tow rig a few extra straps to keep the jeep from swaying help, however I never do it and have no trouble.

I don't cross the straps because if they are crossed, and one fails, the other will be pulling the jeep to the side. Also if the straps are tight they would have to lengthen for the jeep to move side to side. This has worked well for me everytime. One thing tho is I have to tighten my straps pretty good cuz they always seem to have just a little bit of stretch to them.
rrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2014, 11:41 AM   #11
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Moved to Trailers & Towing Forum.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2014, 05:18 PM   #12
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

There are two conditions that you might want to consider when deciding how to secure your load. The first condition is if you are not going to have an accident. An accident would be an event that applies a lot more force than you can accomplish with your tow rig's brakes.

If you are not going to have an accident, then you are planning for keeping the rig centered on the trailer and not moving around, and not loosening the straps. For this plan you can use your ratchet straps on the axles or on the frame or both. And, you can crisscross them or not as you choose. The lower the angle between the tow point and the trailer, the less likely the straps are to loosen or allow the rig to move around.

Now, if you want to prepare the load for the unlikely event that an accident will occur, then you need to think about the task a little differently.

If you strap only by the axles, then it will take very little force to leave the axles on your trailer and the rig flying through the air. Think about the relatively tiny amount of force we use to snatch a rig out of the mud. Nothing near the forces that would be present if, God forbid, your tow rig would hit something solid. No one of us would snatch the rig out by the axles. I would not be at all surprised to be able to pull a front or rear axle right off a stuck rig.

So, if you strap by the axles, you will do a good job of salvaging your axles in an accident. But, your rig may end up in someones living room or, less desirably, pushing your forehead into the tow rig's dashboard.

And, the yellow straps have a breaking strength of say 10,000 pounds. Is that enough? I will leave the calculations up to others, but I would guess that if your tow rig stops quickly, say as a result of contact with a bridge abutment or the back of a loaded semi trailer, I think the yellow straps will fail.
Unread 09-23-2014, 05:52 PM   #13
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
And, the yellow straps have a breaking strength of say 10,000 pounds. Is that enough? I will leave the calculations up to others, but I would guess that if your tow rig stops quickly, say as a result of contact with a bridge abutment or the back of a loaded semi trailer, I think the yellow straps will fail.
Gotta look at the working load limit of your straps not the breaking strength. Average working load limit of a 2inch axle strap is around 3200 lbs and breaking of 10,000 lbs for a quality strap the cheaper ones are only around 2000lb working load and 6000 lbs breaking. My guess is most have the cheaper straps which aren't really good for a Jeep.

For the guys that like to tie to axles just remember you can bend your axles rather easily let alone other possible damage.

Personally I use 1/2in grade 70 chain and binders since I have access to them and attach to the frame. A 1/2in grade 70 chain has a working load limit of 11,300 lbs and breaking strength of 45,200 lbs. More than likely I will have my jeep still attached in a accident.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #14
smccollamjr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

After I get the straps tight enough to keep the Jeep from moving I put it in neutral. Then, after I get it strapped down tight I put it in 1st gear, low range, and set the e-brake. That way I'm not putting strain on the drivetrain if I don't tighten down the straps evenly. I strap it down by the axles. With my sway bars connected it doesn't flex enough to cause problems.
SOLD-'96 XJ, Build Thread: http://www.jeepinwv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6523
smccollamjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2014, 10:08 AM   #15
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by white305 View Post
As far as rules go, some states require brakes on both axles of the trailer. I tow mine in gear, low range. I use axle straps and ratchet straps that I bought from Mac's. Nice stuff if you need to buy some. Four corners. If you tie into the frame you should crank it down to the bump stops to prevent shock loading the straps (no experience with this though).
Mac's makes nice stuff! I spent some time talking to them when I ordered my straps, and they recommend Not crossing your straps.

Their reasoning was that, if 1 strap failed, you'd still have 3 straps pulling in the correct directions (mostly front to rear, with only a slight outward angle), whereas a crossed strap needs it's opposite strap to pull against, or the vehicle will walk sideways and the strap will loosen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.