Regarding towing boat & trailer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Regarding towing boat & trailer

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 06-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #1
Mikey_Overland

Regarding towing boat & trailer

Anyone that could help me I would really appreciate it, I got a 2002 grand Cherokee overland I was reading the owners manual and it stats to take it out of all time 4 wheel drive and put it in neutral. Just curious if this is accurate and necessary. Thanks guys

Mikey_Overland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_Overland View Post
Anyone that could help me I would really appreciate it, I got a 2002 grand Cherokee overland I was reading the owners manual and it stats to take it out of all time 4 wheel drive and put it in neutral. Just curious if this is accurate and necessary. Thanks guys
You’re not going to be able to get very far in neutral.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
Mikey_Overland

I don't mean putting the transmission in neutral I mean putting the 4 wheel drive in neutral...
Unread 06-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
TJSunny1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

That would have the same effect. I think youre reading the part about flat towing the jeep itself, in which case, the transfer case should be in neutral. For towing anything withi the jeep, keep it in 4x4. you might want to lock it out of overdrive though.
TJSunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
Mikey_Overland

Thanks alot dude I never towed anything before so I wanna make sure I don't mess up my jeep greatly appreciated.
Unread 06-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
Indy

How long and what type of boat?

There's a tow rating discussion in gd right now. My limited gc towing experience has been pretty poor regardless of being well within safe weight.

But as above, anything in neutral, you're only going to be able to tow downhill.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

just noticed you had an 02 grand. I had and 01 and it was a POS when it came to towing anything that stuck much above the vehicle, or had much weight to it. I got a camper trailer and after one year I had to dump the grand because of how poorly it towed it. Get the right hitch, keep it out of overdrive and unless you have a heavy boat (over about 3k) or sticks up much above the jeep you will be fine.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #8
Mikey_Overland

It's a grew 147 boat, weight is approximately 3,000 lbs with boat trailer and motor, I have a Reese hitch 2 inch slope with 2 inch ball I don't think it's too much weight for the overland to handle
Unread 06-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thas if you're towing your actual jeep

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #10
Mikey_Overland

Can anyone tell me if the 2002 grand Cherokee overland is equipped with a transmission cooler, it's got the factory tow package with the hitch and wiring.
Unread 06-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #11
Indy

If its an auto and tow package, it should. Look by the radiator, should be able to see it.

I picked up a new trailer tonight, Popup camper and not sure of the weight. Seller says he thinks 2k plus. It actually towed really well, surprised me.

I am the ho 4.7 and factory tow package, 2004 limited.

Heavier and the leverage a boat length trailer... No idea. My last boat tow was a 20 footer and fairly heavy. Not the best tow of my life.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #12
Mikey_Overland

I just took a look, looks like it has it square box on the passenger side you can see it threw the grill.
Unread 07-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #13
LouC
2007 WK 

It should tow that fine, make sure the trailer has brakes and add air bags to the rear coil springs on the Jeep to reduce sag. My 07 Grand with the 5.7 pulls my '88 Four Winns Horizon (4000bs) easily.
LouC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.