Rear ramp weight rating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Rear ramp weight rating

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
TJnProgress
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Rear ramp weight rating

Found out today the manufacture weight rating on the rear ramp of the trailer is 3,200 lbs. The TJ is more than that, but spread out over 4 wheels. This got me to wondering what the average rating was.

Do I need to start thinking about reinforcing the ramp door to ensure long term use? Thoughts?

TJnProgress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
Xtremegameroom
2000 TJ Wrangler 

How well is the ramp enforced already? pics?
Xtremegameroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I had the same question about my toy hauler's rear door ramp, so I called the manufacturer. They told me that it was only rated for 2500 lbs, but should be fine because only part of the Jeep would be on the door at any given point.

I haven't tried it yet, but that's what they told me when I called.

What kind of trailer do you have?
Unread 12-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #4
TJnProgress
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It's a 2005 Brown Motor Sports 36' enclosed gooseneck. I'd put a picture of it up, but I don't have one right now and it's too dark to get one now. I'll get one this weekend. It looks to get made out of 1" tube steel with 3/4" plywood over that and a 14 gauge metal sheeting on top.
TJnProgress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 10:15 PM   #5
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I've seen many Weekend Warrier toy haulers with Jeeps inside, and their ramp doors are rated as follows:

"Radius Ramp Door- rated 3000 lbs per axle"

I found that on the Weekend Warrior website. Assuming yours is similar, in that it's a per-axle rating, then you should be fine. I'd suggest you call the manufacturer of your trailer back to see if their 3200 lb rating is for the whole vehicle or per axle. My assumption is per axle, but it would be nice to know for sure.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.