Ratchet Strap Question? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Ratchet Strap Question?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availabFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ratchet Strap Question?

Will these straps work to secure my jk from the axles on a trailer?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...8636_200448636

Unread 02-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
Irongrave
1992 YJ Wrangler 

these are better I run the yellow snap hook axle straps on my trailer and jeep.

http://www.awdirect.com/liftall-twisted-snap-hook-axle-tie-down-combination-strap-w-snap-hook-end-yellow-polyester-tys36b-yell/truck-tie-downs/

1997 TJ, Dad's Claytons 4:88s and stuff A TJ for Dad
1992 YJ crawler, getting 60s. Build thread the illusion of progress
North Jersey Jeep Club, AtoZ Fabrication, Rozzo Fabrication
Irongrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
USMCredneck
1979 CJ5 

Both of those options will work just fine.
Unread 02-08-2012, 04:06 AM   #4
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

AS I always try to point out, if you would pull your rig out of the mud by the axles, then tying it down by the axles is about the same thing. Only if you pulled it out of the mud by the axles, you would have better control of the force being applied and people around you would think you were nutz.

Check your spring shackle attachment to the frame in the rear, that will be the only thing holding that rig on the trailer.

As for the straps. Whadda need the chain for? They come with hooks at the end of the straps for half the price. the chains don't add anything to the securement of the rig.
Unread 02-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I think the idea behind the chain was to keep the straps from getting cinched down over the edges of the trailer/stake pockets, lengthening the life of the straps.

I thought it was a cool idea, but not $40 cool
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
AS I always try to point out, if you would pull your rig out of the mud by the axles, then tying it down by the axles is about the same thing. Only if you pulled it out of the mud by the axles, you would have better control of the force being applied and people around you would think you were nutz.
I personally tie mine down by the axle because the axle will stay stationary tied down even though the rigs suspension will bounce a bit. If you tie it off using the bumpers/frame area you have better completely compress the suspension. If you do not it could bounce enough for the strap to come loose. Just my 2 cents.

Quote:
As for the straps. Whadda need the chain for? They come with hooks at the end of the straps for half the price. the chains don't add anything to the securement of the rig.
The stake pockets on my trailer are small enough that I can not get a double j hook strap end through them going through the inside, those hooks on the chains fit though. Eventually I plan to add some welded D rings throughout the length of the trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
I personally tie mine down by the axle because the axle will stay stationary tied down even though the rigs suspension will bounce a bit. If you tie it off using the bumpers/frame area you have better completely compress the suspension. If you do not it could bounce enough for the strap to come loose. Just my 2 cents.
I respect that choice which many persons make. I would just say that it is not at all necessary to compress to the bump stops to tie down the chassis. In any event, one could not compress to the bump stops with a ratchet strap unless the springs are very weak because a ratchet strap will only put about 600-800 pounds of force on the chassis.

It does give confidence not to see the rig moving as much with the axles tied down. I know the feeling of seeing the rig bouncing around in the rear view mirrors and don't disagree that that is disconcerting.

I just need to point out that if any real force is put un the trailer, the axles are a very poor choice to absorb all of that force because they are easily damaged or dislocated from the suspension. They are not made or attached with that type of force in mind. That is why we don't snatch our rigs out of the mud by the axles.

But, I accept that the axles vs. rig tie down thing is probably 50-50%.
Unread 02-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I respect that choice which many persons make. I would just say that it is not at all necessary to compress to the bump stops to tie down the chassis. In any event, one could not compress to the bump stops with a ratchet strap unless the springs are very weak because a ratchet strap will only put about 600-800 pounds of force on the chassis.

It does give confidence not to see the rig moving as much with the axles tied down. I know the feeling of seeing the rig bouncing around in the rear view mirrors and don't disagree that that is disconcerting.

I just need to point out that if any real force is put un the trailer, the axles are a very poor choice to absorb all of that force because they are easily damaged or dislocated from the suspension. They are not made or attached with that type of force in mind. That is why we don't snatch our rigs out of the mud by the axles.

But, I accept that the axles vs. rig tie down thing is probably 50-50%.

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Unread 02-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #9
WhyJayPA
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I sell trailers and tie down lots of vehicles. Most of the time the axle configuration is sufficient and is the only option on many newer/non-jeep vehicles. I do like to compress the suspension when possible in order to keep the vehicle from bouncing as much but we do it either way and both seem to work just fine
Unread 02-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #10
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
I personally tie mine down by the axle because the axle will stay stationary tied down even though the rigs suspension will bounce a bit. If you tie it off using the bumpers/frame area you have better completely compress the suspension. If you do not it could bounce enough for the strap to come loose
Cheap insurance i learned while trailering bikes, run a bungee cord between the eyes on a strap. If you bounce and lose tension on the strap the bungee keeps the hooks in place. Youll never lose a strap that way.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #11
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Cheap insurance i learned while trailering bikes, run a bungee cord between the eyes on a strap. If you bounce and lose tension on the strap the bungee keeps the hooks in place. Youll never lose a strap that way.
That is a very good suggestion. Thanks!

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 02-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #12
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The reason I don't pull my rig out of the mud by my axles is because if it's stuck in the mud it's barried to the axles and I don't want to use a shovel to dig it out. Also because my winch is mounted to the bumper not the axle.

That said I run chain and binder to the axles when on the trailer.
Unread 02-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #13
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwood View Post
The reason I don't pull my rig out of the mud by my axles is because if it's stuck in the mud it's barried to the axles and I don't want to use a shovel to dig it out. Also because my winch is mounted to the bumper not the axle.

That said I run chain and binder to the axles when on the trailer.
I'm betting you have never even driven your jeep in mud deep enough to be up to the axles. Let's see some photos of you in some serious mud. And, if you use a winch more than a snatch strap, you're doing something wrong.

Here's one of me:

Unread 02-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hahahahahahaha I have a ton at home on my computer( I'm on my phone now and having problems getting into photobucket) that I'll post later tonight. And what am I supposed to "strap" to when I'm leading?
Unread 02-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #15
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I hope these links still work

http://rubicons4.jalbum.net/Elbe112908/slides/DSC_2073.html

http://rubicons4.jalbum.net/Elbe112908/slides/DSC_2067.html

Oh and I dont lie about how or what I Jeep but thanks for insinuating that I do.....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.