Ranger vs S10 vs ??? light duty towing ONE TIME - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Ranger vs S10 vs ??? light duty towing ONE TIME

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 12-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
82bigdogcj7
1982 CJ7 

Ranger vs S10 vs ??? light duty towing ONE TIME

Alright, so I don't run this conversation to run away on a name calling battle between chevy and ford (and maybe toyota, datsun, nissan, mazda ??) but here's the deal:
I'm planning on heading down to Georgia in a week to pick up some parts for my cj. The only item of significance weight wise is the fiberglass tub, at ~310 lbs. I don't have a vehicle that can haul, and I may or may not be able to borrow a friends 95? blazer with the 4.3 and ~150k miles.

I know the 4.3 is a good motor, but I've heard mixed reviews about the blazer. Since it's a 1400 mile round trip, I'd rather buy a cheap pickup for the trip, and then sell it afterwards then have the blazer break down on me. So here are the options I know of, please tell me the pros and cons of them
The main trucks am looking at are the Ranger and the S10. The foreign trucks listed aboveall tend to carry a higher price than I want.

So for the ranger, there's the 4 cyl 2.3, and the 3.0 and 4.0 v6. I personally prefer stickshift, plus it should net me better mpg on the freeway. The most this whole rig could weigh is ~1k pounds.
I'm wondering if the the ranger 2.3 is too underpowered to tow this light of a load at 70mph. I wont be trying to drive quickly, and I don't know if the smaller engine will save me gas or use more because it may be overloaded.

The 3.0 I don't see in stick form often, the 4.0 in manual I see more often.
Would a relaxed cruising speed on the freeway with the 4.0 net me better mpg than the 2.3 because it isn't as underpowered?
Also have been told the auto trannies are weaker on these trucks. Not sure if that's true, or whether people just overwork them and they overheat.

For the s10, I basically have the iron duke, the 2.8, and the 4.3. Same questions as above: what will be able to handle the load and net me the best mpg? I don't need lots of power, I just dont want to be way overworking the engine. I'll be taking it easy.

NOTE: I Will only be using this truck for the time it takes for me to go down south and back, until the time I can sell it as soon as I return. Can't have that kind of mpg for my commuting.

edit: I probably will not need 4x4 either, if that makes a difference.

82bigdogcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
mylittlecj5
1974 CJ5 

jeez. for that little bit of work, Id fly down and rent a small UHaul cube van and drive it home. No muss, no fuss.

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/Eq....aspx?model=TM
Default Jeepers Club #10
mylittlecj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
82bigdogcj7
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittlecj5 View Post
jeez. for that little bit of work, Id fly down and rent a small UHaul cube van and drive it home. No muss, no fuss.

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/Eq....aspx?model=TM
Yea, I've been told that a few times. It ends up being ~$500 to rent it, plus ~$320 in gas. If I get a truck, I don't have to pay to rent it, then I can sell it in a few weeks and get my money back out, minus gas.

That is assuming nothing goes extremely wrong, but for the sake of speculation, I'm assuming I get my money back on it, since I think I'll find a good deal on a truck.

I've been told that a 4 cyl is too small, but anything from an s10 4.3, ranger 3.0 or 4.0, a sonoma, or an f150 with the inline 6 manual will work. I'm getting another quote on shipping via truck freight. On open carrier, it costs $750, and I'd rather drive there for that price, so I can do everything myself and make sure it's right.
Unread 12-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
Sobie
Bolt-on Maniac

Have you looked into the other moving truck rental companies? I always find uhaul high priced for one way trips. Budget, Penske, etc come to mind for cheaper options.

Also remember with what ever vehicle you buy you have to figure in cost of title, tag and insurance fees. This will add a few hundred to the price which you wont get out unless you get a good deal and can sell it for more than you bought it for.
Unread 12-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
82bigdogcj7
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobie View Post
Have you looked into the other moving truck rental companies? I always find uhaul high priced for one way trips. Budget, Penske, etc come to mind for cheaper options.

Also remember with what ever vehicle you buy you have to figure in cost of title, tag and insurance fees. This will add a few hundred to the price which you wont get out unless you get a good deal and can sell it for more than you bought it for.
Well, I spent a fair amount of time today researching different rental companies. Dollar rent-a-car, Thrifty car rental, Enterprise, Uhaul, Avis, Budget, Hertz and Penske. The results surprised me a bit. Budget, ironically was the worst or second worst. It probably would have been better if I could rent a pickup from them, but apparently I could only get a smaller box truck or a work van type vehicle that seems to be extended. Remember, this is a 1400 mile roundtrip.

Budget wanted upwards of $.70 a mile after the first however many free miles I got. Either way, it would cost me about a grand to get down there not including gas.

Penske was essentially the same issue: don't charge a ton for the truck, but take every dollar I've ever gotten for gas. $.82/mile!!! Each company would have an advantage depending on your situation, for example: factors playing a role are your mileage, age, and total time used.
Penske, Budget, and Uhaul? from what I remember are all better for short moves.

Moving on: neither dollar rent-a-car or avis had pickups that could be rented. only full size suv's. or crossovers, but those weren't a good deal, so I decided against it.

Uhaul has the best pricing for lots of moves, except I guess the longest ones like this. It's not that they're bad, it's just that 1400mi x $.59 a mile (the best of the group, but still expensive) is $826. Very high, and that doesn't include my $300 in gas!!!!

I did the special extended time thing, and was more reasonable compared with their first, but still a lot, at $480 for everything but gas. At $300 to that and I'll probably hit $800 with whatever else they tack on.
Unread 12-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
82bigdogcj7
1982 CJ7 

Hertz- Couldn't rent a truck through their normal site, but I did find them through renting work equipment, apparently a different category and website. At $160 plus a day, + the usual fee for miles, that wasn't going to turn out any better.

Final option: enterprise or bust!
Success!! Will cost me $60 a day for a dodge dakota or chevy colorado (trying to see which one has a larger bed so I can maybe eliminate a trailer).

"Mileage is unlimited when vehicle remains in michigan, ohio, illinois, indiana, west virginia, kentucky, pennsylvania, wisconsin, tennessee, minnesota, iowa, missouri, new jersey, north carolina, virginia, maryland, delaware, new york, connecticut, rhode island, massachusetts, new hampshire, vermont, washington, dc and ontario, canada.
If traveling outside of these states, mileage is charged at 150 miles free per day, 1050 miles per week, 3000 miles per month and 25 cents for each additional mile."

So down to southern tennessee is free, then from there on I get charged, or so you would think, but it's tricky get this.

If I tell them I'm going to Georgia off the bat, NONE of my mileage is free according to the service rep. IF I tell them I'm going to Southern Tennessee, all I pay is gas and rental fees!! How messed up is that??

Anyhow, if I can do it in 2 days, (will only take 10.5 hours each way), then it'll cost me $120 +25 for taxes and fees. Depending on who rents it, I may get hit with an age fee, at $28/day. But, totally awesome!! I could do that for $150!!

I was still considering buying a used truck, and yes you're right, I'd have to remember the tags, insurance, title transfer etc. I have a few good deals I'm looking at that, if they work out, I will do. Otherwise I will probably end up using enterprise.
Unread 12-15-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
82bigdogcj7
1982 CJ7 

For anyone else who ever has to do something like this, here are a few references for other options pricing.

Amtrak all the way down. Takes ~34 hours total. ~$300 for a base seat. To chicago, west virginia, south carolina, then atlanta.
Then, buy a southern truck down there, and drive back up. Sell truck up here, likely for profit.

Fly down: upwards of $500 for a one way ticket!!
Repeat buying southern truck.

Get it shipped via auto carrier on an open trailer- $650-750

Truck freight shipping- $400 for the tub, $250 for the clip.
Unread 12-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
82bigdogcj7
1982 CJ7 

So, with all that said, who thinks a cj tub and front clip would fit in the back of a 2011-2012 chevy colorado or dodge dakota??
I could fork over another $20/day for a full sized pickup and likely be more assured of it fitting, with like an dodge ram crew cab or an f150. Then, also, my fuel costs would go up.

If I find anyone else that needs/wants parts from down there (friends in the great lakes area), I may end up with a trailer. I might do a trailer anyways so I won't have to worry about the tub not fitting.
Unread 12-16-2012, 06:35 AM   #9
bondosgto
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Check this place outhttp://m.cratersandfreighters.com/. I used them earlier this year to pick up and ship a convertible top for the roadster i traded for my jeep. You call them, and make pickup arwngments and they handle the rest. If you give them the dim's they will give you a rough quote. I will tell you this, they are not the fastest to ship once they crate it, but they do a good job.
bondosgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #10
82bigdogcj7
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondosgto View Post
Check this place outhttp://m.cratersandfreighters.com/. I used them earlier this year to pick up and ship a convertible top for the roadster i traded for my jeep. You call them, and make pickup arwngments and they handle the rest. If you give them the dim's they will give you a rough quote. I will tell you this, they are not the fastest to ship once they crate it, but they do a good job.
alright, I sent them an email. I'll see what they say.

Thanks.
Unread 12-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #11
82bigdogcj7
1982 CJ7 

Alright, well that was a disappointment, they told me due to the size of the tub, it would be cheaper to drive down there and pick it up myself. Guess what the quote was for??

Quote Date: Dec 17, 2012
Quoted Price: $2,283.06

ahhhhH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Guess that means I've got a road trip coming up.

Unread 12-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #12
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.uship.com/
Unread 12-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #13
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

What part Ga you picking it up at?

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #14
82bigdogcj7
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
What part Ga you picking it up at?
near Cartersville, GA. looks to be just under a 4 hour drive from your general area.

I'm also trying to see if anyone needs quads, bikes, or jeep parts moved from doqn from the great lakes region to the southern and middle regions (kentucky, tennesee, alabama, etc) to possibly help offset my gas costs a bit.

unfortunately, there isn't a parts moving section on this forum though. at least, not that I can find.
Unread 12-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #15
Indy

When you add up all the costs of buyong and picking up the used parts, how does it compare to kust buying new and having them delivered?

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.