Questions about flat towing? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 03-06-2007, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
JT29

Questions about flat towing?

Have a few questions about flat towing my jeep behind a motorhome. Frist, what items do I need to hook up to the motorhome, as far as tow bars etc. Would it be a good idea to disconnect the drive shafts? And does a locker in the rearend afect flat towing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-06-2007, 05:37 PM
PullMeSideways

2010 JK Wrangler 

You will need a tow bar set up for your jeep. I know Currie Enterprises makes one, you may want to check their website www.currieenterprises.com

You do not need to disconnect to your driveshafts to flat tow. You will need to put the transfer case in neutral and put your jeep in gear if it is a manual, or if it is an automatic, leave the jeep in Park.

I don't believe a locker will affect the towing of your jeep.

2010 2dr Rubicon - Mango Tango!
Colorado Jeep Club Member #11
Former Jeeps:
2002 TJ Sahara, 2007 JK Unlimited Sahara, 2004 WJ & 1986 CJ-7
post #3 of 13 Old 03-12-2007, 11:52 AM
JayDLT

2007 JK Wrangler 

I see you live in Ca., to be legal, you need to have an auxilary brake control mounted in the jeep, and its not cheap. The cheapest I have seen so far is about $800 at camping world. You can probably find a tow bar for around $250. I am going to go with the magnetic lights to avoid wiring into my harness. ($45)

This is for towing behind a MH.

Last edited by JayDLT; 03-12-2007 at 12:06 PM.
post #4 of 13 Old 03-17-2007, 08:38 PM
jmicheal

Many state now require brakes in the tow vehicle. I went with a Brake Buddy and it has worked flawlessly...costs a touch under $800. I also use a Blue Ox Tow bar with the Blue Ox base plate which is bolted to the frame on the TJ. For lights I have used magnetic but now have wired additional bulbs in my tail lights. As stated above, you do not need to disconnect the drive shafts. I have a 5spd and just put the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in gear (I use 2nd). Of course you do NOT want the steering locked so turn the key one click forward and check...and double check.

2012 JK Rubicon Crush (on order), 1/2 Doors, Max Tow, Tinted Windows

SOLD
2004 "Rocky Mountain Edition"
post #5 of 13 Old 03-19-2007, 08:43 PM
zebrex
2015 JK Wrangler 

does flat towing put miles on the jeep?
post #6 of 13 Old 03-28-2007, 07:58 PM
SargeW

2008 JK Wrangler 

I have flat towed my Jeep behind my MH for about 10000 miles. Any good towbar will work, some are really easy to hook and unhook, like Blu Ox. As for the brake, I do not trust ANY mechanical tow brake. I went with a surge brake set up that works off of the hitch. A cable hooks to the brake pedal and pulls the brakes on when inertia pushes the jeep forward as the MH brakes.

Nothing to short circut, plug in or drain the battery. Bought it from a shop called "Night Shift Auto.com" Way cheaper than a electric operated system, and nothing to go wrong.

And if your Jeep has a electronic speedometer, the only thing that gets wear while towing are the tires. No mileage is recorded.

Sarge.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-07-2009, 01:51 AM
yosemitejeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Sarge
So you like the ready brake for your flat towing? I have been looking at one because hooking up that electric brake box scares the crap out of me! Im sure it works fine but i do not that thing to lock up my jeep at 50 mph. My only problem is that we are towing behind a nissan frontier that is way lower than my jeep. Will getting a raised ball mount-probably about 2"-4"-affect the use of the ready brake? This is the only way that i can get the jeep level with the hitch on the truck. I have emailed the company but they havent got back to me. I see that you use it so i thought i would ask you too.
Thanks for your help!
post #8 of 13 Old 08-07-2009, 10:58 PM
SargeW

2008 JK Wrangler 

Yes, I wouldn't want any other set up for just the reasons you mentioned. My RV sits lower than most so I too use a 4" dropped receiver upside down to compensate for the difference in the two hook up points. It is strongly recommended that the tow bar be as flat as possible to eliminate any problems with the tow bar in a hard brake situation. Blue Ox has a detailed description on their web site. The raised hitch has never affected the operation of the Ready Brake.

Sarge

Starting over to BOMB the Rubicon......

"Life is hard. It's harder if you are stupid".
post #9 of 13 Old 08-09-2009, 02:09 AM
yosemitejeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

do you any pics of your set up with the 4" reverse receiver? i think i am going to need more like 8" which i think is a bit to much to be safe. however i found some currie tow bar brackets that mount way lower and cost as much as an 8" "drop" receiver. I never really knew how how my jeep was till i started messing with all this tow stuff! thanks for the info. your posting is what lead me to look at the ready brake in the first place so thanks!! i did NOT want to put that brake buddy thing in for sure...
post #10 of 13 Old 01-12-2015, 10:00 AM
Bryck7
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Where to hook up my tow bars safety cables now? I read a lot of post about not needing a brake controller or other system but might feel better with something to the jeep other than just the rv img_20150108_122518.jpg
post #11 of 13 Old 01-18-2015, 03:41 PM
Indy

Wow, either thats a life sized picture or im trying to read this from 5k feet in the air, all the words look like little a ts from up here!

I'm the only gay eskimo.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-29-2015, 09:03 AM
SargeW

2008 JK Wrangler 

No, the mileage is electronically counted. Just rolling the tires will not add mileage.

Starting over to BOMB the Rubicon......

"Life is hard. It's harder if you are stupid".
post #13 of 13 Old 09-08-2015, 10:57 AM
Off Pavement

2013 JK Wrangler 

I'm late to the party here, but perhaps this article about towing a vehicle will benefit somebody... http://www.rv-camping.org/towing-a-vehicle

Here is a photo of the towing components required to flat tow a vehicle...

Please Support Multiple Use Of Public Lands!
www.rv-camping.org

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.