Questions about Dinoot Trailer Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Questions about Dinoot Trailer Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 06-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Questions about Dinoot Trailer Build

I'm seriously considering building up one of the lightweight Dinoot trailer rigs for some camping/exploring. I'm looking at using the Harbor Freight #94564 frame but would like to run jeep tires rather than the 12" ones that come with the frame. That would give me better ground clearance and a wider selection of 15" tire sizes. It appears that the frame comes with M12 lugs (as opposed to the jeep 1/2") but has 5 x 4.5 lug pattern which will match up to the jeep wheels. Can anyone confirm this? It also appears the trailer tires have 0 offset so I'm wondering if I will need spacers to move the wheels out so they won't rub the trailer frame. Anyone with any experience or knowledge out there regarding this build?

Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

no but you can buy the spring mounts and new leaves and axles at tractor supply for super cheap so if you use it and want to modify those things to fit your needs, hit TS for the part. i know i have looked at their trailer build section of the store and thought of how much cool stuff a person could build
Unread 06-12-2013, 05:29 AM   #3
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berniebikes View Post
I'm seriously considering building up one of the lightweight Dinoot trailer rigs for some camping/exploring. I'm looking at using the Harbor Freight #94564 frame but would like to run jeep tires rather than the 12" ones that come with the frame. That would give me better ground clearance and a wider selection of 15" tire sizes. It appears that the frame comes with M12 lugs (as opposed to the jeep 1/2") but has 5 x 4.5 lug pattern which will match up to the jeep wheels. Can anyone confirm this? It also appears the trailer tires have 0 offset so I'm wondering if I will need spacers to move the wheels out so they won't rub the trailer frame. Anyone with any experience or knowledge out there regarding this build?
Yes, the HF 94564 frame has a 5 x 4.5 pattern, and the lugs are metric. If you're going to run Jeep alloy wheels, you'll need to run spacers because the holes in the center of the alloy wheels are too small to fit over trailer hubs, so you can get spacers with 1/2" lugs so that the lugs will match the Jeep in both thread and bolt pattern. Here's more info on putting Jeep wheels on Harbor Freight frames: http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-64.html

Also here's a thread with plans and instructions for modifying the HF 94564 frame specifically to fit the Dinoot trailer: http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-118.html

Here's a frame running Jeep Moab 16" alloy wheels, all set up for the Dinoot:

If you've got any other questions about building a Dinoot kit, I should be able to answer them.

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Jcsherb, thanks for your guidance.

I went ahead and got the trailer and have it built up. I ended up extending the axle (cut it in the center, sleeved and welded it all up) plus used some 1.5" spacers so I could go to 1/2 20 lugs and not have problems with the wheel center. I'm using Grizzly wheels so to deal with the offset I would have needed nearly 3" spacers if I went with that alone (thus the axle extension). I looked into buying a new axle, but with the cost and shipping it was easier just to do it myself, plus I scored the spacers off ebay for less than $50.

One question, looks like you have rigged some sort of extension to the tongue to get a longer trailer(I'd assume the length will make it back easier). What did you use?? In the picture it looks like you have a receiver tube then the ball attachment forward of that. Did you consider a rock n roll type hitch or anything similar? Thanks
Unread 12-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Jscherb, thanks for your guidance.
Glad I could help!

Quote:
One question, looks like you have rigged some sort of extension to the tongue to get a longer trailer(I'd assume the length will make it back easier). What did you use?? In the picture it looks like you have a receiver tube then the ball attachment forward of that.
When I shortened the 4x8 trailer to 4x4, I used the leftover frame rails to make a center backbone for the frame. I put receivers from HF on both the front and the back of the backbones; in the front for swapping couplers, and in the back for accessories like a bike carrier. The original 4x8 and the modified 4x4 frames are shown below:

Step-by-step plans and instructions for the modifications are in this thread: http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-118.html.

Quote:
Did you consider a rock n roll type hitch or anything similar? Thanks
Yes, that's the main reason I put a receiver on the front.

The 3-axis coupler is my own design. Step-by-step plans and drawings for the coupler can be found here: http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-65.html

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 01-04-2014, 06:53 PM   #6
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

On a similar note, is there a trailer axle that takes 8 lug Ford wheels? Or 6/8 lug Chevy wheels? I'm putting full sized axles under my rig and I want my trailer to use the same wheels/tires so everything is interchangeable. Thanks!

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
On a similar note, is there a trailer axle that takes 8 lug Ford wheels? Or 6/8 lug Chevy wheels? I'm putting full sized axles under my rig and I want my trailer to use the same wheels/tires so everything is interchangeable. Thanks!

Cheers
Here's a place that'll make you a custom width axle with either 6-on-5.5" or 8-on-6.5" bolt pattern hubs: http://kmtparts.com/axles-spring-mou...55-4-drop.html. They're $199 complete hub-to-hub (you supply your own springs).

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 01-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #8
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post
Here's a place that'll make you a custom width axle with either 6-on-5.5" or 8-on-6.5" bolt pattern hubs: http://kmtparts.com/axles-spring-mou...55-4-drop.html. They're $199 complete hub-to-hub (you supply your own springs).
oh man thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. And for a reasonable price!

cheers
Unread 01-07-2014, 04:50 PM   #9
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Jsherb,

hope you are weathering the cold fine up there in NY. Thanks a million for the details on the multi-axis hitch. I wanted one but not for the commercial price. Now I'll be welding mine up this weekend! I plan on ordering my dinoot tub in a couple of weeks. I noticed in your signature line that you did a fiberglass jeep tub kit. Was that a Dinoot or something else. Again, thanks for the hitch and other info

Bernie
Unread 01-07-2014, 05:50 PM   #10
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Jsherb,

hope you are weathering the cold fine up there in NY. Thanks a million for the details on the multi-axis hitch. I wanted one but not for the commercial price. Now I'll be welding mine up this weekend! I plan on ordering my dinoot tub in a couple of weeks. I noticed in your signature line that you did a fiberglass jeep tub kit. Was that a Dinoot or something else. Again, thanks for the hitch and other info

Bernie
Bernie,
Yes, I designed both Dinoot fiberglass trailer tub kits. Both the Dinoot "j-series" Jeep-tub kit and the Dinoot "m-series" military replica tub kits are in production now. Both can be found at www.dinoot.com.

Good luck with your coupler project!
Jeff

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 01-08-2014, 02:09 AM   #11
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post
Bernie,
Yes, I designed both Dinoot fiberglass trailer tub kits. Both the Dinoot "j-series" Jeep-tub kit and the Dinoot "m-series" military replica tub kits are in production now. Both can be found at www.dinoot.com.

Good luck with your coupler project!
Jeff

I'd be VERY interested in the "M-Series" if you think it would be possible to build a hinged lid capable of mounting a roof top tent to. Whatdoyathink? Possible?

If so I'll think about ordering one next month when things get moving!

Cheers
Unread 01-08-2014, 06:58 AM   #12
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'd be VERY interested in the "M-Series" if you think it would be possible to build a hinged lid capable of mounting a roof top tent to. Whatdoyathink? Possible?

If so I'll think about ordering one next month when things get moving!

Cheers
It's more than possible . Here's a hinged top/RTT platform on an m-series...

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
Unread 01-10-2014, 05:45 PM   #13
Sparrows
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That's perfect! I checked out the site again and I don't see anything about the lid on there so I'm assuming it's a custom job? Is it glassed too?

Cheers
Unread 01-10-2014, 06:06 PM   #14
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's perfect! I checked out the site again and I don't see anything about the lid on there so I'm assuming it's a custom job? Is it glassed too?

Cheers
It's molded fiberglass just like the rest of the tub kit. I designed it to be an option to go along with the m-series. The company is just now finalizing the release of the tailgate version of the m-series, so they haven't gotten to getting the cover ready for sale yet. I expect they'll get to working on that next.

Here are a few more shots of the prototype cover before painting:

• Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.