Pulling an RV (weight) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Pulling an RV (weight)

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 04-02-2010, 09:33 PM   #16
Culchie

I'm glad everything worked out for you and your towing experience. Here is what Chrysler told me:

Thank you for contacting the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center.

The maximum trailer towing weight is 2,000 pounds for this particular
vehicle since there is no factory towing package. If you as the owner
should add any towing items to the Jeep, we are unable to provide a
higher maximum towing weight since it did not come from the factory with
any of the items that youi as the owner may install now.

I then told them that I put a class IV hitch on the frame (V6 tow package only requires ClassIII). And asked what else I needed to add that would be the same as with the tow package. They told me just about the same thing.

Thank you for contacting the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center.

The maximum trailer towing weight of 2,000 pounds would remain
regardless of equipment added to the vehicle. It would be your option to
research if anyone is willing to install the towing equipment and then
job rate your Jeep on their own.

I then asked the place I bought the Jeep from what the tow package consists of. They replied:

For your vehicle properly equipped is 3.73:1 axle ratio,Trans oil cooler,trailer tow wiring with 7 into 4 way plug adapter.The class IV is only advised with V8 engine,power steering cooler,trans cooler and wiring as above.Length (25ft limit) is very important due to sway conditions and control.

So they more less are telling me that the oil, trans. and power steering cooler make a 3000 pound capacity difference. So any ideas as to a used vehicle that would for SURE pull up to a 32' long travel trailer up to at least 6000 pounds ??

Culchie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #17
Culchie

Anyone know how the Commander v8 tows a 5000 lb. + RV ??
Unread 04-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #18
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culchie View Post
]o they more less are telling me that the oil, trans. and power steering cooler make a 3000 pound capacity difference. So any ideas as to a used vehicle that would for SURE pull up to a 32' long travel trailer up to at least 6000 pounds ?? [/FONT]

When you say at least what would be at most. With that info I would recommend a 3/4 truck or more. Many half tons may be fine with 6k but the "or more" makes me not want to recommend it. In my experience (however limited it may be) All the ¾ town trucks I have seen come with a towing package. That doesn’t mean an equalizer, weight disturbing hitch or other equipment may or may not be needed when towing heavier loads. There is always that phrase "when properly equipped".

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 11:59 AM   #19
Culchie

6000 pounds would be my max. That's why I thought the Commander could handle it with the 7400 tow capacity. But all vehicles pull differently. I would definately get the equalizer and whatever else I need to make it tow better and be safer. That's why I'm checking things out very carefully. Thanks.
Unread 04-12-2010, 07:47 AM   #20
ptwelve
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Before I had my motor home I had a 23' travel trailer. Wet weight of 4500lbs, 62 ft^2 frontal area, with the jeep at 5000lbs loaded. Dual cam weight distribution hitch, proportional brake controller

Towed wonderfully. Was much easier to drive, faster, more wind resistant, and stopped quicker than my stock 35' motor home.

Now I had a V8, so you will be slower, but it can do it and should handle and brake fine if properly set up.

Head over to RV.net for detailed info on setting up your tow vehicle.

Unread 04-12-2010, 09:11 AM   #21
Culchie

Thanks for the reply. But the ones I want is up to 33' in length now. About 6600 UVW
Unread 07-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #22
kevin A Whitler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I pull a 25 foot Puma trailer with a Toyota 4 runner sr5 and a 4.0 v6, equalizer hitch, sway bars and electronic brakes.
The trailer weighs 5000 lbs, the Toys weight capacity is 5000 lbs. I'm at the max and the trailer pulls fine. The trick is not to be the fastest on the highway but consistent. I have not felt unsafe doing this, but then again I pull smart and think ahead when towing the trailer.

Good luck to you and always think safety when towing anything. Just remember, it is not how fast you get there but to get where you are going.
kevin A Whitler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.