Preparing TJ for flat tow - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Preparing TJ for flat tow

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-31-2011, 01:03 AM   #1
Night Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Preparing TJ for flat tow

I may possibly be traveling cross-country to pick up a motorcoach. Knowing that a TJ is rather simple/easy to flat tow, I was thinking about driving there and towing it back. The coach is a class A diesel pusher, so towing capacity isn't a concern nor am I worried about aux brakes. Seems like the only things needed are magnetic towing lights and tow bar. I was going to go to Harbor Freight. My TJ has the stock front bumper (ends cut off). Is the bar compatible? Any other ideas for tow bar on stock front end of TJ. If I end up getting it, the TJ will probably be flat towed from time to time, yet I'd prefer if the mounting brackets don't effect clearance under the bumper.

-1987 BMW 528e 5spd e28 - personal Panzer for the daily driven battlefield, just broken in at 300k

-1990 BMW 325i Convertible 5spd e30 - extensive overhaul in progress

-2005 TJ Sport - stuff
Night Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

A TJ is perfect for flat towing behind a motorhome. I did it for years without a problem before I bought a car trailer. TC in neutral, tranny in gear, first click on ign to unlock steering wheel without draining battery.

Equally as important is to have the towbar as level as possible. With the long overhang on most motorhomes, crossing sidewalks, driveways, large bumps, etc. may pry/pop the towbar off the ball if you do not have max. travel in both directions.

They make towbar mounts that attatch to the stock towhook location above the bumper. With your 4" lift, that would make for a pretty tall riser/hitch to keep your towbar level. But, I have seen it done.

I used Roadmaster's XL removeable frame mounts. They are expensive, but I found a used set for cheap. The towbar was at least 6" lower than mounting it above the bumper. I never had a problem off road except cleaning some dirt out of them a couple times. The mounts are more solid, and gave me piece of mind while towing. Now, they are just sitting in my garage.

BTW, I used magnetic lights on the rear bumper and never used an aux. braking system. My state does not require them. I never had a problem.
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 01:01 AM   #3
Night Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The motocoach has a rear cam w/ monitor on the dash, great for keeping an eye on things. I'm not as concerned about the mounting point being below the bumper, if it bolts on,a it can always be removed. Where can I cheaply get a setup like that? Will the Harbor Freight bar be easy to mount/modify? If I end up getting it, I need to have it ready in about 2.5 weeks.

-1987 BMW 528e 5spd e28 - personal Panzer for the daily driven battlefield, just broken in at 300k

-2005 TJ Sport - stuff
Unread 11-04-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
Night Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

any other insight as to how/where to mount the Harbor Freight tow bar attachment points?

-2005 TJ Sport - stuff
Unread 11-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
unlblkrubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Definitly not on the stock front bumper, too thin.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.