Powerstroke or cummins - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Powerstroke or cummins

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 01-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #76
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drix View Post
I am wondering if you are seeing gas trucks. I know specifically the duramax aam rears are different then the gas trucks. I can think of many duramax trucks pushing 500 to over 1000 HP and not one has any issues with the rear ends.
A Gov lock is a Gov lock, they have been around since the 70s. It is an Eaton product. G80 code = gov lock in a chevy. The problem is in the design, it only locks after a 100 rpm variation in rpm between wheels and then BAMM... it locks instantly. Just not a good design for racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #77
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe they are holding up better on these trucks just because of they are raced and do sled pulls. These trucks are launched in 4x4 off a boosted launch so there is rarely any wheel spin and when do do it's normally a front tire.
95' YJ 4" lift 33"x12.5r15's D30/8.8 locked with 4:88's
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918
Drix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #78
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Maybe they are holding up better on these trucks just because of they are raced and do sled pulls. These trucks are launched in 4x4 off a boosted launch so there is rarely any wheel spin and when do do it's normally a front tire.
They are no doubt stronger than a lot of the other gov lock variations just because of the shear size of the carrier (larger parts too) compared to say a 12 bolt chevy version. My 2wd will certainly light them up so you may have a point there.

Quote:
Any video of the sound?
Unread 01-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #79
Assault800

didnt read the thread, but i read the first post.

the 6.0 is a great and bullet proof motor... once the correct mods are done. if its stock, stay away unless you plan on doing said mods. the 6.4 was pretty good, but thats getting newer, not sure on how new or old you wanted. The 7.3 is by far my favorite, and is one hell of a diesel. Buddy has one with 570HP and i cant even remember how much torque. its crazy.

as for the cummins, its a crazy reliable diesel as well, very good engine, HOWEVER, the truck its placed in is not the best out there. so It really depends on what you want, and which ford you want.

personally, If i was to build a dedicated tow rig (and if i needed a dedicated tow rigm, id build it) id go with a ford with a 7.3, swap in an allison transmission from a GM truck, and go to town. OR a cummins in a ford+allison trans.

but thats just me.
Assault800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #80
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assault800
didnt read the thread, but i read the first post.

the 6.0 is a great and bullet proof motor... once the correct mods are done. if its stock, stay away unless you plan on doing said mods. the 6.4 was pretty good, but thats getting newer, not sure on how new or old you wanted. The 7.3 is by far my favorite, and is one hell of a diesel. Buddy has one with 570HP and i cant even remember how much torque. its crazy.

as for the cummins, its a crazy reliable diesel as well, very good engine, HOWEVER, the truck its placed in is not the best out there. so It really depends on what you want, and which ford you want.

personally, If i was to build a dedicated tow rig (and if i needed a dedicated tow rigm, id build it) id go with a ford with a 7.3, swap in an allison transmission from a GM truck, and go to town. OR a cummins in a ford+allison trans.

but thats just me.
I would take a Torqueshift before an Allison trans.
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Unread 01-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #81
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I would take a Torqueshift before an Allison trans.
If the 6R140 lives up to the hype it will be an excellent trans. Earlier versions of the torqshift, not so much. I really like that low first gear ratio in the 6R140 flavor though.

Quote:
Any video of the sound?
Unread 01-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #82
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper

If the 6R140 lives up to the hype it will be an excellent trans. Earlier versions of the torqshift, not so much. I really like that low first gear ratio in the 6R140 flavor though.
Strictly from a performance side guys adding 100 to a duramax would eventually toast the Allison. Even faster if they added more. The torqueshifts will hold much more then one would imagine. And the new one is built beefier then previous models.

Keeping it stock either trans will be the same.
USMC Jeep Club #6
Unread 01-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #83
ajmorell

Quote:
Strictly from a performance side guys adding 100 to a duramax would eventually toast the Allison. Even faster if they added more. The torqueshifts will hold much more then one would imagine. And the new one is built beefier then previous models.

Keeping it stock either trans will be the same.
x2. The 5R100/5R110s are a pretty damn good transmission. From what I've read about the 6R140 it sounds pretty damn sweet too. The Alison is a good transmission but a bit overhyped IMO
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #84
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell

x2. The 5R100/5R110s are a pretty damn good transmission. From what I've read about the 6R140 it sounds pretty damn sweet too. The Alison is a good transmission but a bit overhyped IMO
Chevy did hype up the 1000 trans. I bet that 70 percent of people who bought trucks in the last 10 years would not know of Allison if it were not for chevy. Now the larger allisions are beasts.
USMC Jeep Club #6
Unread 01-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #85
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Mind you these are just my experiences with a fleet of maybe 30 pickups at any given time.

I really dont know about performance but as far as durability, the earlier torque shifts are ok, not great. When we ran fords in the fleet we would lose one or two trans a year, with the Allisons it more like one every other year. We put a lot of miles on the trucks but they are not particularly abused. The chrysler products were the worst by far when it came to trans. Corporate will never allow us to buy another dodge. F-ing money pits. Thats the only way I have to personally compare durability on them, by the repairs and money we had to spend. Dont take this as Ford bashing, Im actually a Ford guy.

On another note, I agree the Allison name is over hyped but they are a quality transmission.Another beauty of the allison is aftermarket. How is the aftermarket on the torqshifts?

Quote:
Any video of the sound?
Unread 01-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #86
Drix
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I defiantly agree on the Chrysler products. The main thing in the performance side that helps the torqueshift is tuning.
USMC Jeep Club #6

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.