Post your Jeep Trailers/Offroad Trailer pics here! - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > Post your Jeep Trailers/Offroad Trailer pics here!

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-09-2010, 07:43 PM   #106
nc551
2006 LJ Wrangler 

here's my Jeep Trailer I just finished up. fun project

Features include:
• Frame: 2”x3” Tubular Construction. 3 coats of Primer and 2 coats of FLAT Black Paint on rails, inside box & deck. Diamond plate outer sides sides are a Charcoal Gray Metallic.
• Box Frame: 44” wide X 5.6’ long Box Frame with steel floor. Also has a 2” rear receiver.
• Deck: Extended tongue for easy towing backing and extra capacity. Diamond Plate fore deck designed for additional space to accommodate a cooler (Cooler Tie Down Straps Included), Tongue Box with space to spare. Tie down loops on each side for auxiliary fastening.
• 18" High Diamond Plate Sides with rear tail gate. Custom T/G clamp guards prevent unintentional dis-engagement.
• 3500lb Axel and Springs with easy Grease Hubs. Shackles can be mounted above the axel for an additional 3 to 4” of height.
• Custom Cover: Military Waterproof Fabric used for the custom cover. (Tan/Camel in color).
• ALL Stainless Hardware.
• Stainless & Locking Hitch Pin.
• Stainless & Locking Receiver Pin.
• Inter-changeable Hitch Design: 2” Ball Hitch included. Can be removed to accept any 2” articulating off-road hitch.
• NEW Fire extinguisher
• NEW Jerry Can GAS (Metal, Never filled) 5 US Gallon. With Secure Metal Buckle Strap with Lock.
• NEW Jerry Can Water (Geeen Plastic/ Military Issue, Never filled) With Secure Metal Buckle Strap with Lock.
• NEW Reese 48” Farm Jack: Never used. Custom Mount on Spare Tire Carrier and easily removed/adjusted. Mount is removable & adjustable in height and can be utilized for other purposes.
• NEW Spade Shovel mounted on Left Fender with custom mounting brackets with lock for security.
• NEW Fiskars Axe mounted on Right Fender with custom mounting brackets with lock for security.
• Tailgate opens and retained via chain with plastic cover. (2) Custom Tailgate closures (clamps) with hitchpins to keep clamps from opening on the trail.
• Spare Tire: 33” x 10.50” x 15” used with approx. 1/4” to 3/16” of tread left.
• Tires: 33” x 10.50” x 15” used with approx. 1/4” to 3/16” of tread left. (All were take off’s from my Jeep and have never been flat. (NO PLUGS or Repairs). Larger Tires up to 35” x 12.50” will fit within fender wells, with the removal of wheel spacers. Shackles may have to be repositioned to the top of the axel (easily done).
• Wheels: (including Spare) Steel 15” x 8” Jeep Wheels with a 5 x 4.5 lug pattern. I believe the 5 hole pattern will work for Ford Wheels as well. (You may want to verify if necessary).
• Wheel Spacers: I added 1.5” Billet Aluminum Wheel Spacers that can be removed should larger/wider tires and wider wheels be desired.
• Custom Waterproof LED lighting include: Brake/Turn Lights: (2) 4” Round Clear Lens RED LED’s.
Turn Signals: (2) 2” Round Clear Lens RED LED’s. SIDE Running Lights: (2) 2” Round Clear Lens AMBER LED’s. REAR Running Lights: (under Tailgate) (4) 2” Round Clear Lens RED LED’s. ALL LED Lights are “Flush Fit” with Rubber Grommets. ALL Wiring is professionally soldered, shrink tube wrapped and sealed with a coating of liquid Electrical Tape for years of service.
• Heavy Duty Swing down Jack: Bulldog Brand with easy ergonomically friendly crank handle.

Last edited by nc551; 04-13-2011 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: decided to sell this and start another build. asking $3,500.
nc551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #107
nc551
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Another Picture.

I'm getting ready to start another one in the spring so i'll be selling this one for the funds... I enjoy building STUFF, but the wife does't seem to let me keep stuff around or spend any "New Money" so I tend to re-use the same funds. Keeps me busy but without many toys........?
I have a lot more pics.
You can click the link below to see a couple pics in my gallary.

Left_Rear_View_00001 - JeepForum.com Gallery

http://www.jeepforum.com/gallery/dat...View_00001.JPG

Last edited by nc551; 12-10-2010 at 05:58 PM..
Unread 12-10-2010, 08:21 AM   #108
djsrtr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitejeeper View Post
It's not much, but it works for me

Your setup looks to be about the same width as your Jeep. What make/model of truck bed is that? Looks like it would work real good with a little lift. I Like it.
djsrtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 05:16 AM   #109
Elitejeeper
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsrtr View Post
Your setup looks to be about the same width as your Jeep. What make/model of truck bed is that? Looks like it would work real good with a little lift. I Like it.
It was a 1995 Nissan Hardbody. The width is perfect, lines up great with my Jeep. I would like to get a little more height out of the trailer and some bigger tires under it. I'm a little worried about making it look gaudy though. I should post it in the "photoshop" thread to see what they could make.
Elitejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 05:20 AM   #110
Elitejeeper
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Some more angles of my trailer

Elitejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 05:51 AM   #111
joelwg
2005 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiera View Post
Quick question...Why would you lower the psi on the trailer tires? They are not grippin anything. Its just being pulled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Yeti_ View Post
I'm guessing to minimize the bouncing of the trailer.
Also I would think the increased surface area of the tyre would stop the trailer sliding as much, keeping the trailer inline with the jeep
joelwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #112
djsrtr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitejeeper View Post
It was a 1995 Nissan Hardbody. The width is perfect, lines up great with my Jeep. I would like to get a little more height out of the trailer and some bigger tires under it. I'm a little worried about making it look gaudy though. I should post it in the "photoshop" thread to see what they could make.
I think I'm gonna start looking for one locally, maybe put a cap on it and have a rolling tent and utility trailer.
Unread 12-19-2010, 05:15 PM   #113
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think I'm gonna start looking for one locally, maybe put a cap on it and have a rolling tent and utility trailer.
Half-backing a small truck makes a great utility trailer. I have an old Datsun that I have put through more abuse over the last 25 years than I can list, from scuba gear for an entire class to 2900 lbs. () of rock. Cut the frame long enough to mount a tool box, cut out the fenderwells, throw on some larger tires, make a folding plywood top, and you have a great camp trailer.

The gas tank can be used for more gas for the tow rig, or replace it with a water tank for use when dry-camping. Lifting it can be as easy as a simple shackle lift, or going the whole SOA/different spring route.

Only problem is they tend to weigh more than the usual jeep camping trailer due to the thicker frame, more sheet metal, and heavier axle. Jeeps don't have a lot of towing capacity to begin with, so every pound the trailer weighs counts against what you can safely tow as cargo.
Unread 01-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #114
djsrtr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlbook48 View Post
Half-backing a small truck makes a great utility trailer. I have an old Datsun that I have put through more abuse over the last 25 years than I can list, from scuba gear for an entire class to 2900 lbs. () of rock. Cut the frame long enough to mount a tool box, cut out the fenderwells, throw on some larger tires, make a folding plywood top, and you have a great camp trailer.

Only problem is they tend to weigh more than the usual jeep camping trailer due to the thicker frame, more sheet metal, and heavier axle. Jeeps don't have a lot of towing capacity to begin with, so every pound the trailer weighs counts against what you can safely tow.
Do you pull this setup with your YJ?
Unread 01-05-2011, 07:19 AM   #115
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Do you pull this setup with your YJ?
Yeah, for the lighter loads it works great (kayaks, washing machines, general runs to the dump, or camping gear). It tows like a dream and stays within the jeeps tracks on corners.

For heavier loads (dirt/gravel, lumber, etc.) I use my truck. I don't want to pull anything heavy with the jeep because the trailer doesn't have brakes. Hence my comment about the weight of the trailer itself. That is something I would like to remedy, but I'm not aware of any electric brake swaps for the factory hydraulic brakes. If I found a good deal on a 3500 lbs. rated trailer axle equipped with brakes, I'd do the swap.
Unread 01-30-2011, 02:00 AM   #116
smokeyeager
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlbook48 View Post
Yeah, for the lighter loads it works great (kayaks, washing machines, general runs to the dump, or camping gear). It tows like a dream and stays within the jeeps tracks on corners.

For heavier loads (dirt/gravel, lumber, etc.) I use my truck. I don't want to pull anything heavy with the jeep because the trailer doesn't have brakes. Hence my comment about the weight of the trailer itself. That is something I would like to remedy, but I'm not aware of any electric brake swaps for the factory hydraulic brakes. If I found a good deal on a 3500 lbs. rated trailer axle equipped with brakes, I'd do the swap.
Have you thought about finding a surge brake kit you could incorporate or modify to use?

Got my brain gears turning thinking along the lines of an electric kit modified to actuate a surge kit, would have to add a emergency battery back-up so it would have power to brake if the trailer unhooked and maybe 2 actuators in case 1 fails. I don't like electric kits after I had one fail on a boat trailer but I think one modified to operate a hydraulic brake system would be fine.
smokeyeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #117
doggie
1993 YJ Wrangler 

My Jeep trailer restoration project from last summer. I did not realize JeepForum had a dedicated trailer thread until now -- so here it is:

[IMG][/IMG]

Details:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...my-yj-1116559/

http://the.lockwoods.home.comcast.net

Unread 02-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #118
Zybeon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone feel like making me a trailer? I designed this one many months ago that has been put on the wayside for Jeep upgrades(long arm and coilovers). It was designed in Google SketchUp.

Everything is to scale as much as I could. 5'6" wide by 6' 2" long. 15x8 wheels. 33" tires 12.5" wide. Tailgate drops down and measurement from inside wheel wells is 4' 2" to fit full size sheets of wood. It doesn't look it but the axle is slightly to the rear.

Base frame out of 2"x2"x3/16".

Frame gussets out of 2x2x1/8. Sides and tub supports out 2x1x1/8. Tongue slide 2.5x2.5x1/4. Tongue 2x2x1/4 and is adjustable for onroad length and offroad length. Can also be secured fully retracted to prevent theft, or you can remove it.

Axle is 2x2x1/4, drop axle, replaceable spindles and adjustable lift. Might add shocks.

3 axis hitch, (not my design)

Blown up view of the old style hitch
Zybeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2011, 05:05 AM   #119
hesterj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nice design zybeon. Hope you find someone who will put that thing together for you. I'm on the hunt for me a new trailer for my TJ. Keeping my eyes open for a m101.
hesterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #120
nc551
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My Custom Jeep trailer is faor sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesterj View Post
Nice design zybeon. Hope you find someone who will put that thing together for you. I'm on the hunt for me a new trailer for my TJ. Keeping my eyes open for a m101.
My custom Jeep trailer shown at the top of this page number 8 is for sale. Let me know if you are interrested.

Nick

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.