PLEASE LOOK! should I even try towing like this? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > PLEASE LOOK! should I even try towing like this?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 10-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #61
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsobi View Post
For got to update this. It actually towed pretty good. I stayed around 60/65. Wasn't paying attention and got up to 75 and the trailer swayed a little not enough to say out of control, but enough to catch my attention. Had to do only one hard stop. That was a little scary, but more cause I was expecting it to be a lot worse. Over all I'm deffinatly looking for a tow rig now, but ide do it again.
was bad enough to say your deff looking for a tow rig but say youd do it again... you are a gluten for punishment

1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #62
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

Even bigger setups being towed under their WLL will sometimes have sway around 75. Some of that depends on factors like the trailer and road surface.
Unread 10-25-2012, 08:48 AM   #63
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494

was bad enough to say your deff looking for a tow rig but say youd do it again... you are a gluten for punishment
Or maybe that he was right.... I've towed loads like that on a regular basis in "lighter" vehicles for years and never had issues.
Unread 10-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #64
adamsobi
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Honestly I'm considering getting a trailer with breaks and installing a controller for the FJ. also we averaged 13.78mpg for the whole trip. That was keeping it in 4 not drive.
Unread 10-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #65
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsobi
Honestly I'm considering getting a trailer with breaks and installing a controller for the FJ. also we averaged 13.78mpg for the whole trip. That was keeping it in 4 not drive.
Are you saying the trailer you used this past weekend didn't have brakes?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 10-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #66
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Don't be concerned about the sway. That is a function of load balancing. My F250's always swayed if the load was a bit rearward. Of course, the heavier rigs like my current K2500 Burb or an Excursion, or certainly a DRW rig will usually not sway much even with a somewhat poorly balanced load. Frankly, that is why many contractors buy DWR, not for the total load as much as being able to put a Bobcat or equivalent on the back end of a trailer or generally be unbalanced.

I think that route from your place to Attica was not much of a test since it is all level or nearly level. And, you may not need a dedicated tow rig, but if you do decide to go for a dedicated tow rig, please consider a real truck as opposed to a pickup and trailer. I trailed my rigs for decades before I built my Volvo FE. With full air brakes, DRW and Cat motor, it is a whole different experience. And you won't need a 33,000 GVWR rig like I chose, you can get a nice Isuzu NPR flatbed or equivalent which you will find is 100 times better than a HD pick up and trailer. And for half the price. And, better mileage. You just need to make some ramps. Trust me on this.

Here is a photo of my rig which I bought for $3500 before modifications:

Unread 10-25-2012, 09:53 AM   #67
adamsobi
2004 TJ Wrangler 

What kind of gas mileage do you get with that?
Unread 10-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #68
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
What kind of gas mileage do you get with that?
I get 12 mpg loaded. Never checked it unloaded. My 454 Burb gets 5-7 loaded. But the Volvo will run down the road at 70mph as quiet as a sedan because the engine is in the rear. Its a big rig, way beyond what is needed for a Jeep or even two. If you do get a big one, be sure to register it as 25,999 GVWR so you don't need a CDL.
Unread 10-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #69
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I get 12 mpg loaded. Never checked it unloaded. My 454 Burb gets 5-7 loaded. But the Volvo will run down the road at 70mph as quiet as a sedan because the engine is in the rear. Its a big rig, way beyond what is needed for a Jeep or even two. If you do get a big one, be sure to register it as 25,999 GVWR so you don't need a CDL.
once your loaded though you'll be over so you need your CDL. if you get a cop that is having a bad day youll be pulled over and you'll have to wait for someone to come get you who does have a CDL to drive for you... Ask me how i know
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #70
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494 View Post
once your loaded though you'll be over so you need your CDL. if you get a cop that is having a bad day youll be pulled over and you'll have to wait for someone to come get you who does have a CDL to drive for you... Ask me how i know
No, not really. Its complicated, but the Volvo weighs around 12,000 pounds, so I can load 14,000 of cargo on it. My Unimog weighs about 9200 as configured and my Jeep XJ around 4500, so even with some extra gear I am under the 26,000 pounds. The deck is 32' so I can't really get three (3) Wranglers on it, but with two on it, I can put a bunch of quads and stuff. Nothing has to be balanced. It rides great no matter what is where.

I added an 8000lb winch to the headboard of the Volvo to drag dead rigs up on the bed. Tool chest, spare battery. Flood lights on the bed. And a line of 4" strap winches on each side for tie downs. A 36" winch handle makes tie downs secure. There is an air bag rear axle with dash control to drop the rear a bit when loading less capable rigs that have trouble with the ramps. A nice stereo, CB and ice cold a/c makes the whole process a dream.
Unread 10-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #71
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494

THAT depends on your state of license. There are different traffic laws and licensing procedures in every state.

I drove bigger trucks sometimes with much heavier loads every day for a living right after I got married. Even transported certain types of oxygen tanks.

Never got my CDL. Never needed it. Never had any problems.
Unread 10-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #72
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Don't be concerned about the sway. That is a function of load balancing. My F250's always swayed if the load was a bit rearward. Of course, the heavier rigs like my current K2500 Burb or an Excursion, or certainly a DRW rig will usually not sway much even with a somewhat poorly balanced load. Frankly, that is why many contractors buy DWR, not for the total load as much as being able to put a Bobcat or equivalent on the back end of a trailer or generally be unbalanced.

I think that route from your place to Attica was not much of a test since it is all level or nearly level. And, you may not need a dedicated tow rig, but if you do decide to go for a dedicated tow rig, please consider a real truck as opposed to a pickup and trailer. I trailed my rigs for decades before I built my Volvo FE. With full air brakes, DRW and Cat motor, it is a whole different experience. And you won't need a 33,000 GVWR rig like I chose, you can get a nice Isuzu NPR flatbed or equivalent which you will find is 100 times better than a HD pick up and trailer. And for half the price. And, better mileage. You just need to make some ramps. Trust me on this.

Here is a photo of my rig which I bought for $3500 before modifications:

Yea don't let sway worry you, the worst that could happen is you lose control.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #73
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross

Yea don't let sway you worry you, the worst that could happen is you lose control.
LMAO! So true.

It's too bad more people don't understand this.

Unread 10-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #74
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Yea don't let sway worry you, the worst that could happen is you lose control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPond View Post
LMAO! So true.

It's too bad more people don't understand this.

I think you two might want to go back and read my post. Sway results from bad placement of the load (usually too little tongue weight) not from overloading. The solution is to re-balance the load.
Unread 10-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #75
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010

I think you two might want to go back and read my post. Sway results from bad placement of the load (usually too little tongue weight) not from overloading. The solution is to re-balance the load.
I understand your point; I just don't agree. Overloading can cause sway as well, no matter how well balanced it is.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.