PLEASE LOOK! should I even try towing like this? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > PLEASE LOOK! should I even try towing like this?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #46
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010

you didn't learn anything then, did you.
I've learned that towing over your rating is a bad idea - a concept that is clearly over your head.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Unread 10-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #47
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

Heh. Dang guess until i can afford to buy a truck with a tow rating high enough to tow my tractor and trailer around ill have to shut my construction business down.

Hey I know this isnt a tow rating question but does backing a 21 foot trailer across a ditch and into a bunch of muck, chaining it to a large tractor that's stuck in mud up to the clutch pedal and rapidly sinking deeper into a sink hole and then jumping in and just FLOORING IT exceed the acceptable limits of a jeep too? Cuz if so I am DEFINITELY selling mine and getting another vehicle.
Unread 10-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #48
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Besides the obvious, Id be worried about overworking the transmission, but I dont know much about the tranny in FJ's.
Unread 10-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #49
adamsobi
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The fj has a tranny cooler from the previous owner so I'm not tho worried about over heating and strength wise I'm certain its fine. If not, its still under warranty.
Unread 10-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #50
elcorvino
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsobi
The fj has a tranny cooler from the previous owner so I'm not tho worried about over heating and strength wise I'm certain its fine. If not, its still under warranty.
I like how you have it loaded now. Tow slow and have fun.
elcorvino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2012, 10:22 PM   #51
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

aaaand this is why i have a 2500HD so if i do make a mistake while driving i know im within my tow rating and im not going to be sued for everything i own

word of warning if insurance finds out your over your rating and you get in an accident YOU ARE NOT COVERED
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #52
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3494

word of warning if insurance finds out your over your rating and you get in an accident YOU ARE NOT COVERED
That's an urban legend, and not actually true. It's the same as speeding - if you're speeding and in an accident, you're still covered.

If you're not convinced, ask your insurance agent.

Unread 10-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #53
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPond View Post
That's an urban legend, and not actually true. It's the same as speeding - if you're speeding and in an accident, you're still covered.

If you're not convinced, ask your insurance agent.

i guess thats good to know, but either way id still rather not be over my capacity. its nice not worrying whether or not your going to be able to safely tow something though
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
Unread 10-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #54
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
aaaand this is why i have a 2500HD so if i do make a mistake while driving i know im within my tow rating and im not going to be sued for everything i own
But this part is definitely true. That's why I tow with a a 2500 Suburban and a 3500 Silverado.

Sorry - replying from my phone. Didn't mean to split it into 2 posts.

Unread 10-19-2012, 10:48 PM   #55
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

i guess thats good to know, but either way id still rather not be over my capacity. its nice not worrying whether or not your going to be able to safely tow something though
I completely agree.

Unread 10-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #56
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i have a buddy with a f250 diesel that was pulling a trailer with a zj and a yj on it which was right at his capacity for not having a gooseneck and even loaded correctly it was a little scary sometimes. there are reasons tow capacities are set at what they are otherwise everything would be rated at 10,000lbs because it can get it moving
RC vs BDS
Unread 10-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #57
ctorj
1977 CJ7 

I know this is a Little late on this Thread but Last time I Checked a FJ has a GVWR of around 5500 pounds and a FJ weighs in at about 4400 pounds. So the FJ is almost maxed on the designed Brakes and Transmission. Hes about 4500 pounds Over the legal and Safe Limit on his FJ. Sure hope he has some Good tires on that Trailer and FJ with the PSI at the Rating or he will get a little squirly going down hills.
ctorj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2012, 11:00 PM   #58
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I saw the FJ and trailer parked at The Badlands on Saturday.....so I know he survived the drive down, now home, that's another story......

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #59
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

Looking forward to see how "scary" it was. (Good grief.)
Unread 10-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #60
adamsobi
2004 TJ Wrangler 

For got to update this. It actually towed pretty good. I stayed around 60/65. Wasn't paying attention and got up to 75 and the trailer swayed a little not enough to say out of control, but enough to catch my attention. Had to do only one hard stop. That was a little scary, but more cause I was expecting it to be a lot worse. Over all I'm deffinatly looking for a tow rig now, but ide do it again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.