PLEASE LOOK! should I even try towing like this? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Trailers & Towing > PLEASE LOOK! should I even try towing like this?

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFCurrieZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 10-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #31
adamsobi
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hey no risk. This thread is on stand still until I report back that everything went great, or that I'm parting out a 2004 Rubicon. Either way, we'll find out Monday.

Unread 10-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #32
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsobi View Post
Hey no risk. This thread is on stand still until I report back that everything went great, or that I'm parting out a 2004 Rubicon. Either way, we'll find out Monday.
Don't forget your flag and mount. Badlands rule.
Unread 10-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #33
adamsobi
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Got them. Also got one for the fj also.
Unread 10-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #34
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsobi View Post
Got them. Also got one for the fj also.
Can I offer a piece of advice? Those sand hills out in the middle of the park are not like Lake Michigan dunes. They are mined quarry sand and you can dig in and get to an unsafe angle before you know it. Attack them at a right angle to the slope, not an oblique angle. I am not aware of any deep quarry like ponds but ask at the gate just to be sure. Some are too deep to cross, but there are no quarry like drops as far as I know.
Unread 10-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #35
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, since you are bound and determined to disregard the advice you asked for because you didn't get the answer you wanted, let's add one more little piece of information to which you won't listen: The negative answers you received were for the weights you gave... 5000 tow rating, trailer loaded to 5500 pounds.

Now add all the weight of the passengers (other than yourself) and other cargo (food, clothes, camping gear, beer, tools, whatever else you toss into the FJ) to the TOTAL WIEGHT of the FJ.

ANY added weight other than you-- the driver--- and a full tank of gas must be subtracted from the TOW RATING of your FJ. Read your manual, it's in there, and the print isn't that small.

BTW... drivers are usually figured to weigh about 150 lbs, don't ask me why.

Wanna care to guess how overloaded your tow rig will now be? Wanna guess your odds of handling an emergency driving maneuver on the road? Wanna guess how many of us would want to ride with, near, or on the same road as you? If you won't listen by now, well, there's nothing more I can say to you.

And to those saying "Go for it, no worries mate!".... you have just proven the worth of information gleamed from strangers on the internet.
Unread 10-19-2012, 04:30 AM   #36
elcorvino
2003 WJ 

I only looked through the first 2 pages... How is it that nobody commented to say the trailer looks to be loaded front heavy. The bulk of the weight (the jeep) is all the way to the front of the trailer and the rear has a few hundred pound ATV stuffed on.

How far are you traveling? Up the road it will be fine. Cross country you'd be out of your mind.
elcorvino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2012, 05:42 AM   #37
Trailmix
1980 CJ5 

My rule of thumb has always been that you can comfortably tow 2/3s of the maximum rating. You go over the max tow rating and you are in uncharted territory. Even at 2/3s I would be using a sway control and weight distribution hitch.
Trailmix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2012, 06:01 AM   #38
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My general rule is that I think about how bad a 5000 pound load could be configured, realize that the manufacturers assume that if they say "5000 pounds" everyone will configure the load that badly and they will still be safe enough not to get their arses sued off. Which is the only thing a rating is about - whether the manufacturer will have a legal problem. (If it was about what one should do or what will be enjoyable, the FJ tow rating would say: THIS IS NOT A TOW VEHICLE. BUY A REAL TRUCK IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON TOWING ANYTHING).

So, an FJ pulling a 25 foot sail boat on a 30 foot trailer with surge brakes is perfectly fine according to Toyota. This rating was created by their engineers and has been vetted by their products liability insurance carriers and their legal folks. Ergo, the Rubi on the little trailer in question should not be a problem.
Unread 10-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #39
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

The manufacturer doesn't assume you're going to overload the trailer; they give detailed instructions in the manual about how to properly load it. According to the FJ Owner's Manual (available online here):
  • Trailer weight not to exceed 5000 lbs
  • Tongue weight not to exceed 500 lbs
  • The trailer needs to be balanced 60/40 front/rear,
  • The FJ must be level when loaded
  • Sway control must be used on anything over 2000 lbs
  • You should not exceed 45 MPH when towing

It doesn't sound like Toyota is assuming anything at all.

And a side-note about boats and boat trailers: they tend to tow better than overloaded flatbed trailers, regardless of their length, because when a boat trailer is sold with the boat, it's usually configured for the correct weight balance & axle position, and you can't load the boat too far foward or back.
Unread 10-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #40
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlbook48 View Post
Ok, since you are bound and determined to disregard the advice you asked for because you didn't get the answer you wanted, let's add one more little piece of information to which you won't listen: The negative answers you received were for the weights you gave... 5000 tow rating, trailer loaded to 5500 pounds.

Now add all the weight of the passengers (other than yourself) and other cargo (food, clothes, camping gear, beer, tools, whatever else you toss into the FJ) to the TOTAL WIEGHT of the FJ.

ANY added weight other than you-- the driver--- and a full tank of gas must be subtracted from the TOW RATING of your FJ. Read your manual, it's in there, and the print isn't that small.

BTW... drivers are usually figured to weigh about 150 lbs, don't ask me why.

Wanna care to guess how overloaded your tow rig will now be? Wanna guess your odds of handling an emergency driving maneuver on the road? Wanna guess how many of us would want to ride with, near, or on the same road as you? If you won't listen by now, well, there's nothing more I can say to you.

And to those saying "Go for it, no worries mate!".... you have just proven the worth of information gleamed from strangers on the internet.
This is spot on! I always laugh when I see a family of 7 and their caming gear stacked up to the ceiling in a 3-row SUV towing a large trailer that would be at or over their tow rating with an empty vehicle.
Unread 10-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #41
adamsobi
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So this is how were gonna be loading it. It's balanced about 60/40 front rear. We took measure ments at the rear wheel well to check the difference in the ways were towing. With the trailer unloaded we have 6.5 inches clearence. With the jeep on the front of the trailer we had 3.25 clearance. And with the jeep on the back of the trailer we have 5.125 clearence. And this is with the fj loaded not including me.
forumrunner_20121019_110543.jpg  
Unread 10-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #42
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

That trailer configuration looks much better IMO.

But I still have issues with the tow vehicle
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #43
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPond View Post

And a side-note about boats and boat trailers: they tend to tow better than overloaded flatbed trailers, regardless of their length, because when a boat trailer is sold with the boat, it's usually configured for the correct weight balance & axle position, and you can't load the boat too far foward or back.
Then you have never towed a boat. Anyone who has towed one (I have logged probably 20,000 tow miles with various boats behind various trucks) knows that they are like a big sail. A passing semi will cause them to wiggle all over the place and the weight is much higher from the road than a Jeep on a trailer. And, a half ton of motor and outdrive hanging off the very tail end makes them almost impossible to keep from wiggle. Why don't you just go back to your books and Internet towing and leave the real world experience to those of us who have done some serious towing.
Unread 10-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #44
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Wilson - once again you demonstrate how little you know. I've never towed a boat?

These are 2 of my 3 boats. Both are 25' (30' on the trailer), and 7000-8000 lbs.

image-248957780.jpg

image-3145724812.jpg

image-2386561951.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 10-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #45
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPond View Post
Wilson - once again you demonstrate how little you know. I've never towed a boat?

These are 2 of my 3 boats. Both are 25' (30' on the trailer), and 7000-8000 lbs.
You didn't learn anything then, did you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.